Neumann NDH 30
Jun 9, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #2,446 of 4,939
Thank you Mike! Sometimes it has been useful for me too, to use two identical CDs (original) for easier comparisons. I have a (double) small selection of 3-4 recordings of reference quality and use it for this purpose when necessary. I am lucky not to have traced any sonic differences between them on the same device :smile::smile:. I would have been very puzzled if I had! :scream: As a matter of fact I tried hard to listen for any differences but thankfully, none was found. (We are crazy, aren't we? ):k701smile:

I have been tempted many times to start an account in ASR, sometimes to support expressed opinions/findings that may seem "heretical" to audiophiles (but are nothing more than science or conclusions after very systematic experiments), other times to notify that going over the top and suggesting that all sources or all amps (should) sound the same is not realistic or scientifically/technicaly supported. But I never did and probably will not, there is no time for (more) analysis or endless discussions. This community here and another (Greek) one are more than enough for me!

Changing subject, there is a good chance that the NDH 30 will not be alone in the sub-$1000 category in sounding as a much more expensive headphone. @Ichos has published his review of the iBasso SR3 with impressive findings. If his great experience is shared with more users long-term, then we are in front of another significant headphone. Of course, I believe it is difficult to expect "Neumann" quality of construction.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-sr3-—-150Ω-version-of-the-sr2.966541/page-12#post-17594790
You're welcome! :wink: I have an account at ASR but I only participated briefly. Opinions there are very entrenched, normally along the lines that specs are everything and if your ears tell you differently then you must be deluding yourself. As a musician I've always trusted my ears - a heretical notion to some, which is strange because this is all about sound! Nobody can tell me that I don't hear differences which I hear repeatedly, no matter what the theory says....... I refer back to Einstein!

Thanks for the heads up to an NDH 30 rival. It's only good that headphones that compete with others at any price are appearing in the sub-€$£1000 category. It will be interesting to keep an eye on that one! :beerchug:

Jun 9, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #2,447 of 4,939
I refer back to Einstein!
or....Neil deGrasse Tyson
Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 7.26.49 AM.png

Jun 9, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #2,450 of 4,939
That's nothing...I can hear a difference with the same same CD played on the same player, on the same day. :)
This is easy; you only have to change headphones! :smile_phones: :triportsad:

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2,452 of 4,939
Of course, if you want to hear what the CD really sounds like, you'll have to get an NDH 30! :wink: :ksc75smile:
No chance if we don't buy his K872 first! @Rob80b, I can buy the left side if Mike agrees to get the right one! :o2smile:

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #2,455 of 4,939
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #2,457 of 4,939
https://www.rtings.com/review-pipeline/headphones

Guys, if we all band together, we could make a NDH-30 review on rtings happen. Would really love to see that, as their reviews are excellent and very detailed, with lots of actual measured data to compare.

You can vote for the NDH-30 by searching for it in the last section of the page:)
Screenshot_20230610-155904.png

Jun 11, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #2,459 of 4,939
I’ll join in.. My little slice of audio paradise. Oh and to keep it on topic, my NDH 30’s are visible in the upper right corner of my headphone rack!😎

1686493143924.jpeg

1686493104047.jpeg

1686493223716.jpeg

I still have a couple bins of CD’s that need sleeved and catalogued, I’ll get to it someday this winter.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #2,460 of 4,939
OT again….listening habits and where.
I see the majority of headfiers appear to spend their time sitting at a desk while listening to music…hhhmmm?
For me its total immersion and as little distractions as possible….hence closed back. 🧘
DB3F5DBB-E3EE-43C3-8C1C-99EA3FB30F47.jpeg
I have to say that I simply don't understand how anybody can listen to music and do anything else at the same time, but I think that's probably the downside to being a musician. I can't even be anywhere (pub, restaurant, etc) where there's background music. If music is playing I just have to listen to it - I can't ignore it. I can be sitting with a group of people in a pub and there's background music; I'm listening to the music trying to work out what to is and missing the whole conversation. There's a pub in Helsinki which is known as the musicians pub because it's always full of musicians. Why? No background music! Music means total immersion for me as well. I've often thought of saying this here, but your post gave me a reason to do it. No disrespect to people who listen to music at work but I simply couldn't do it. I'd get nothing done! Well, strictly speaking I DO listen to music at work, but that's because I'm performing it! :wink:

Back OT. I hope that your continued presence on this thread means that your ownership of the NDH 30 is inevitable and somewhat imminent?
Pity I live half way around the globe and on the other side of a large body of water, otherwise I pop round. Looks like you have a very nice place and as good collection of LPs and CDs. Not to mention headphones (with one temporary notable exception......).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back