Neumann NDH 30
Apr 7, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #1,802 of 4,938
Ouch ! My left ear is 10 years older and my right ear is 7 years older. 😩. It’s probably due to my wife shouting at me 😁 (not)
I wouldn't worry Bob, it's not an objective test, and most people have an asymmetry in their hearing at some frequencies.

Could be good to get a proper check though, although sometimes ignorance is bliss! I've probably obsessed a bit too much about my hearing as I'm a musician and it's important for me to retain good hearing. I've had goodness knows how many audiograms done over the last 20 years and have used hearing protection whenever working in a loud situation, which frankly is most when it comes to live music. Even acoustic instruments are actually quite loud if you're close - which you tend to be if you're playing them! :wink: I do sometimes envy classical guitarists!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #1,803 of 4,938
Ouch ! My left ear is 10 years older and my right ear is 7 years older. 😩. It’s probably due to my wife shouting at me 😁 (not)
If you drive on the right side of the road, and drive with your window open, it may explain the discrepancy.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #1,804 of 4,938
Good to know my hearing is a decade younger than me. :sunglasses:

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 1.47.29 PM.png

I proposed this test to a Greek audio/video forum some months ago but very few people dared to publish their results (people over 50 were silent :sweat_smile: ). However, I think that it is a rather optimistic test, I am 53 and the test says 42 because I am able to hear up to about 14kHz.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #1,805 of 4,938
I was into Steely Dan since the beginning. I think they are outstanding studio products - but organic is just not a word I could use. Pristine, detailed, very produced - yes. No offense meant at all. Just my view.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #1,806 of 4,938
My Lokius only has 6 controls. How much did you guys pay for the 8-knob version??
:)
OK here come the brick bats. Very few headphones I have heard that need EQ can get accurate correction with a fixed freq EQ of 4, 6, or 8 sliders. Even 31 isn’t enough. Approximate - sure. I’m a big Schiit guy but the parametric in the UAPP (6 or 10 band) cremates them in terms of doing what is needed - of course if you are digital and android. Many more on the digital side. Analog parametric are quite expensive - but 8 fixed bands…. Nah.

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #1,807 of 4,938
If you drive on the right side of the road, and drive with your window open, it may explain the discrepancy.
You might have a point there 🤔😏 but, I just had a thought; if my wife says that I’m ignoring her when she’s talking to me, I can always plead my innocence by showing her the results of my test 😁

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #1,809 of 4,938
Spent a lovely evening with the 30 and this album, what a treat. Great movie too if you've not seen it. The 30's balance and dynamic range really bring these recordings to life. Makes me want to be a musician!

1680932182948.png

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #1,812 of 4,938
I think you mean Lord. 😉

I think there’re always those who will, for whatever reason, become over enthusiastic about any new headphone. I remember the fuss when the LCD2 came out. And what about the HD800! However, it’s hard to ignore the price performance achievement of the NDH 30. It is remarkable, perhaps even unique, for that aspect alone. FWIW I’ve tried several pairs and as is usually the case with sample variation, some were better than others. I didn’t notice any creaking on any of them though.
curious - what were the primary tonal balance differences you heard, if any?

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #1,813 of 4,938
curious - what were the primary tonal balance differences you heard, if any?
I’ve had one pair which were a bit leaner in the bass but also a bit ‘shouty’ compared my original good pair. Something about the upper mids lower treble. These differences were not immediately apparent, but became more apparent over time. My original ones just have a fuller, bigger more open sound. Again, the difference is a subtle, but I always hear differences between headphones. Sennheiser six series are no exception. I do think that sometimes what happens is that an individual receives a particular headphone which just hits the sweet spot for their individual hearing, and then they rave about it because they presume that all of the headphones (all 660S for example) are exactly the same and that everyone else’s hearing is exactly the same as theirs and therefore the headphone in question will sound the same to everybody else..

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #1,814 of 4,938
If anyone is interested in some serious audio tests, this is an excellent site:-

https://www.audiocheck.net

Try this test for your upper frequency limit. It's a 'blind' test and doesn't depend on headphone volume. (although your result might depend somewhat on the headphone used):-

https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_frequency.php?frq=10

And......

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

There was a link there to an excellent online general hearing test, but it's gone, unfortunately (the link is still there but it doesn't work).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back