Neumann NDH 20
Jul 7, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #451 of 830
Okay... I'll take these 2 identical copy-pasted formal responses, so you will not posting more of these words over and again. Just let the fans believe, I'll wait for the driver disassembly. Someone have tried, but that orange mat is glued to the chamber so you cannot disassemble it without breaking anything, good job neumann.
Have you auditioned this particular headphone? If so, what did you think?

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #452 of 830
Have you auditioned this particular headphone? If so, what did you think?
In the beginning I think it overpriced, after Zeos uploaded his demo I listened (I wrote these in my posts), got more interested and auditioned by myself after some time. Good sound but not beyond my expectations so I didn't post it. If they were about $300 I'd be willing to grab one, or I just stick to my modded cd900st for monitoring.

So it's not the sound that pushes me into sarcasm or hatred or something, it's just when someone who may not even know what's 'Duofol' is regarding some boring responses obviously no more informative than product websites as definite evidences towards you aggressively you are hardly not to be pissed.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #453 of 830
Has anyone tried pad rolling these?

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #454 of 830
Yes.

Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads made for THX00. They are a bit larger, but in spite of the somewhat loose fit, they work on the NDH20. Sound-wise, the bass drops considerably. I think the bass with the original pads is too strong, but with the Dekoni's, it gets too weak. Overall a rather thin presentation.
Beyerdynamic pads (not sure for which model, it's the typical velour pad used on most Beyers, but then variant without any holes at the inside. By and large, same result as described above.

It seems that the NDH 20 is one of those headphones that are not really suited for pad rolling. Similar to the Focal Elegia, the bass is really "made" by the pads. I have only used 2 alternatives, so maybe there are pads that work well, but it would have to be pads that have a strong bass amplification (but ideally a bit less than the original pads).

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #455 of 830
Would special work be needed to make these balanced? I've noticed there are HD598 balanced cables with the same connector flying around that could work if the area near the connector is sanded, but I just want to know if the internals will play well with it.

Asking because I'm eyeing an M11 and Oriolus BA300s as my next long term player/amp upgrade and I don't want to explode things because I don't have a balanced connection (And because I want the tube sound. I know, I could just connect single ended on the player itself, but ad bestas possible, I'd like dem tubes)

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #456 of 830
Anyone any news around (shorter) replacement cables? I know there were some posts earlier, but those were all for cables on Amazon in the US. Tried to find the equivalents on European Amazon sites, without success.

I am getting so frustrated with the long straight cable (I use the NDH 20 kind of portable mostly) that I am thinking of buying an original cable from Neumann, cutting it in half and reterminate it with a 3.5mm TRS. I had contact with Senn/Neumann Benelux and the cable is EUR 24 ex VAT.

Aug 24, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #457 of 830
By the way, does anyone have experience with aftermarket cables for this? Z says that the Sennheiser 598 etc cables don't fit unless you sand down the connector. Really need a portable cable, both included cables are anything but suited for portable.

These fit, and are decent quality for the price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Silver-Plated-Audio-Cable-For-Sennheise-HD6-HD7-HD8-DJ-MIX-HEADPHONES/173032176356?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=471798613542&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I have also ordered a "portable" cable from Periapt Cables. They have confirmed that Type 1 will fit the NDH 20. I will report back when mine arrives next week, but I have several Periapt cables and their quality and customer service has always been spot on. https://periaptcables.com/collections/frontpage/products/portable

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #458 of 830
I've got a set of the Neumann NDH20 on the way. Looking forward to hearing them - the fit and finish also looks great. Should be great fun to compare with the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2/Phonitor and the Stax Lambda Nova Signature/SRM Monitor. Thanks to Fullbright1 for the great description of this phones sound.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #459 of 830
Had a bit of time to get a handle on the new Neumann NDH-20.
Starting at the bottom end, they have a rather nice, but not excessive bass response - it's deep and well articulated, without boom. The bass drum also appears to have almost feelable impact on Jacques Loussier Trio's "Baroque Favourites".
The midrange is mostly slightly recessed (compared with the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2) which appears to give it less detail - however the detail is there, but not as bright and accentuated as the Beyerdynamic. Listening shows a more natural, less tizzy sound
Treble is present without any nasty, bright surprises, which seem to vary only by degree in most headphones.
These phones appear to be quite efficient - they run loudly from the Mytek DAC 192, but scale up well on the Phonitor.
The finish is simply beautiful - even better than the Beyerdynamic.
I don't feel I'm missing anything from these phones, nor do they have any exaggerated frequencies. They sound like they have a flat frequency response, without measuring flat, and they certainly aren't boring.
Eye glasses compatibility: Good
Thanks Fullbright1 - I suspect these will become classics.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #460 of 830
These fit, and are decent quality for the price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Silver-Plated-Audio-Cable-For-Sennheise-HD6-HD7-HD8-DJ-MIX-HEADPHONES/173032176356?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=471798613542&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I have also ordered a "portable" cable from Periapt Cables. They have confirmed that Type 1 will fit the NDH 20. I will report back when mine arrives next week, but I have several Periapt cables and their quality and customer service has always been spot on. https://periaptcables.com/collections/frontpage/products/portable

I can report that the Periapt cable does not fit the NDH20. Periapt, of course, was fantastic and sent me a return shipping label right away.

A shame, because there really aren't enough aftermarket cables for these cans.

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #461 of 830
I can report that the Periapt cable does not fit the NDH20. Periapt, of course, was fantastic and sent me a return shipping label right away.

A shame, because there really aren't enough aftermarket cables for these cans.

Do you know if they plan on carrying a variant for the NDH20?

Sep 13, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #463 of 830
Hello guys!

Could someone provide me with a competent comparison between the NDH 20 and the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro? Preferably from the standpoint of an electronic musician (creating bass-heavy music), who wants to use one of these headphones for everything (track/mix/master/produce/listen). Low end detail and intensity is really important for me, and a slight elevation in that range might be even preferred to a completely flat response.
I'm planing to upgrade from an AKG K702, which is a gorgeous sounding headphone, but quite shy on the low-end for electronic music production, I believe.
I would be really interested to read your feedback, if you have experience with both of the above mentioned cans.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #464 of 830
Hello guys!

Could someone provide me with a competent comparison between the NDH 20 and the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro? Preferably from the standpoint of an electronic musician (creating bass-heavy music), who wants to use one of these headphones for everything (track/mix/master/produce/listen). Low end detail and intensity is really important for me, and a slight elevation in that range might be even preferred to a completely flat response.
I'm planing to upgrade from an AKG K702, which is a gorgeous sounding headphone, but quite shy on the low-end for electronic music production, I believe.
I would be really interested to read your feedback, if you have experience with both of the above mentioned cans.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!
Closest I can come is comparing to an AKG K701 and Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2.
The NDH20 is less bright and has a more extended bass than both. The distortion of the NDH20 is also much lower in the bass. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #465 of 830
1770/770 are ear-piercing bright to me. Heights on NDH 20 are totally ok, like on my ADAM monitors. Bass on NDH is very deep and even -- i play bass guitar and it was a big problem to monitor bass on hi-fi headphones, where one low bass string is much louder than other strings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back