Neumann NDH 20
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #436 of 830
@ervin192 - I asked Neumann about the drivers for their NDH 20:

Q:
Could you please kindly confirm a question about your new Headphone NDH 20 - Did you completely redesign the driver or is it a new tuning of an already existing Sennheiser driver ? Thank you
A:
Yes, the NDH 20 uses newly designed drivers (38 mm/1.5”) with high-gauss neodymium magnets to ensure high sensitivity and minimized distortion. You can find additional info here: https://en-de.neumann.com/ndh-20.

So please check carefully before 'assuming' something which may well effect how people [may incorrectly] view this headphone :)
I'm sorry but this is even more like they are just trying hiding who is genuinely 'making' and 'designed' that driver, they just murmur. Exactly, by Sennheiser or Neumann? No they don't speak a word.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #438 of 830
I'm sorry but this is even more like they are just trying hiding who is genuinely 'making' and 'designed' that driver, they just murmur. Exactly, by Sennheiser or Neumann? No they don't speak a word.

Look, your paranoid conspiracy theories are not helpful in this thread or on Head-fi.
You had some doubts. I asked Neumann directly and they replied. Why would a company with as much prestige and experience even bother to do this ?? You are making no sense
If you want to keep on believing / extrapolating they are somehow trying to hide some information about their driver by using clever speech then that is your paranoia
but is not helpful in the least and benefits no-one...unless of course you can come up with some evidence
Otherwise, kindly shut up and stop trying to create and spread malicious rumours about this headphone.
It is meaningless and is of no benefit

@zeroselect - Actually, it is an important point to clarify for anyone who [weirdly] has assumed that Neumann used an old Sennhieser driver for their own new headphone

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #439 of 830
This Thread is supposed to be related to how the Neumann's sound, based on what listeners hear.
Yet, it recently turned into a "lets Kick Z-Reviews in the head and then talk more about parts and supply theories.""
C'mon....... :)
Its a good headphone. Its not perfect.
If you want perfect then go to sleep and DREAM, because that is the only place a perfect ANYTHING, will ever exist, on this earth.
Dont look for perfection. Instead, Look for what satisfies you, and own ALL those.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #440 of 830
I've been on a quest of sorts to find the best closed-back headphones for a couple years now... let's say the best under $500, as I find it hard to justify the cost at a certain point. I would likely use open-back headphones at work if I could, but it just isn't possible.

I've had the M50Xs, the DT770s, the H6s, the convertible m560 and the m1060C... have also heard a number of other closed-back headphones that I never felt worth investing in. After having the NDH 20 for a week now I can say for my ears these are the best closed-back headphones I have heard thus far. Let me just say that my primary use is not for engineering work but for musical enjoyment.

Pros:
  • Good detail and separation but not overly bright.
  • Vocals stand out, though not as warm.
  • Deep bass, clean - I don't hear the mid-bass bleed.
  • Sound leak minimal.
  • Doesn't have that typical closed-in sound.
Cons:
  • Lacks some warmth.
  • Sounds a bit too clinical to me at times.
  • Stock cables too long for my use-case.
  • Comfort level only OK, clamp a bit tight.

I don't think they're for everyone, but should definitely be considered if you work in a fairly quiet environment. Most closed-back headphones I have used not only sound very closed-in, but have varying levels of sound leak at moderate volume. I can crank these up pretty high without worry of disturbing others around me, and they don't have that tin-can sound to my ears. I hope that a tube amp can add a little more warmth to these, though they sound really good as is.

I still have my m1060Cs and will probably keep those open - may invest in the convertible grills as I think they have a nice warm quality to them that I enjoy. Also the Moondrop KPE, which are fantastic iems that I can mix into daily use. Everything else so far has been expendable.

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #441 of 830
Look, your paranoid conspiracy theories are not helpful in this thread or on Head-fi.
You had some doubts. I asked Neumann directly and they replied. Why would a company with as much prestige and experience even bother to do this ?? You are making no sense
If you want to keep on believing / extrapolating they are somehow trying to hide some information about their driver by using clever speech then that is your paranoia
but is not helpful in the least and benefits no-one...unless of course you can come up with some evidence
Otherwise, kindly shut up and stop trying to create and spread malicious rumours about this headphone.
It is meaningless and is of no benefit

@zeroselect - Actually, it is an important point to clarify for anyone who [weirdly] has assumed that Neumann used an old Sennhieser driver for their own new headphone
I'm afraid it is the official response that omits either the Sennheiser or the Neumann word, leaving a 'you could naturally guess' situation, so you choose to believe while I don't, this is natural. You should ask them to clarify this company issue instead of blaming me for being a disbeliever.

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #442 of 830
I'm afraid it is the official response that omits either the Sennheiser or the Neumann word, leaving a 'you could naturally guess' situation, so you choose to believe while I don't, this is natural. You should ask them to clarify this company issue instead of blaming me for being a disbeliever.

You may well be right?
but there is no ' company issue '
- This, as far as I can tell is something you have made up based on an interpretation of a live interview and an official response from Neumann which seemed clear enough to me ?
Its just the assumption you feel that they are hiding something from you that I don't quite get (I don't want to have a go at your self!)
I would certainly hope not. Having used and known about Neumann microphones for many years it just strikes me as odd that
they would
A. not design their own drivers and that if they
B. just re tuned a Sennheiser driver they would try to 'hide' it ??
But . . . maybe I know where you are coming from - there certainly seems less and less honesty and good moral business practice these days...sadly
:)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #443 of 830
You may well be right?
Its just the assumption you feel that they are hiding something from you that I don't quite get
I would certainly hope not. Having used and known about Neumann microphones for many years it just strikes me as odd that
they would A. not design their own drivers and that if they B. just re tuned a Sennheiser driver they would try to 'hide' it ??
But . . . maybe I know where you are coming from - there certainly seems less and less honesty and good moral business practice these days...sadly
:)
You could continue your fancies just go ahead.
But if you had this Neumann official speech that 'We Neumann engineers designed these drivers, and Sennheiser is responsible for manufacturing' or 'Our company complete these all'; any of this kind I would gladly take them as facts. Otherwise I'm not the first person (even in this thread) that says this is a Senn work, look at #1 there is the 'Duofol', and there're others more.
So you can prove nothing by your official murmur.

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #444 of 830
Just provide some proof to your conspiracy theories or ****
Your comments are a waste of space - Go and join 4chan

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #445 of 830
omg maybe you should quote anybody here ever mentioned Sennheiser or HD630VB and shout to them conquer them with you braveness. but will any of them accept this 'newly redesigned driver' myth?

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #446 of 830
Proof ? or ****

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #448 of 830
neumnn.JPG

Im done with you - You are clearly not stable or capable of a rational conversation. Take your weird obsessive rumour mill to someone who cares and kindly stop trying to besmirch a headphone company by claiming they are lying and hiding things us based on nothing but speculation.

just to be clear:

neu2ed.jpg

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #449 of 830
Okay... I'll take these 2 identical copy-pasted formal responses, so you will not posting more of these words over and again. Just let the fans believe, I'll wait for the driver disassembly. Someone have tried, but that orange mat is glued to the chamber so you cannot disassemble it without breaking anything, good job neumann.

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #450 of 830
So I stole my friend’s new headphone yesterday, hahah!!! Oh well he wasn’t using it, so all the more reason for me to try it with my Valhalla and my own music.
Very very impressed again. I am very much smitten by the tuning that ever so slightly evens out any sounds that could be considered harsh or strident - very much like the hd650. What you’re left with is a darker presentation that, at least for me, feels incredibly detailed because it ends up focusing on the important part of the music, not the flaws.
The bass in particular is very impressive. Sort of reminds me of the Atticus I tried a couple of weeks back, although the Neumann feels more clean. Quite a bit of belly in the mid bass and a bit of roll off towards the low lows..but it still sounds very clean and effortless.
This morning though I took it upon myself to find some kind of frequency response for this can as I haven’t yet spotted one as well as hearing a completely different (and rather brilliant) headphone than the one Neumann is advertising.
upload_2019-7-6_9-20-59.png

Edith: I’m not sure what I prefer ss or tube with this thing, but man does it ever render music tastefully. The Valhalla eases up on detail a bit but adds a holography to the presentation that really connects with me.
I just swapped out my FSOL Lifeforms cd with Neil Young & Crazy Horse’s somewhat overlooked masterpiece Zuma, and the Neumann is indeed pirouetting with the best of em...closedbacks that is:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back