Neumann NDH 20
Feb 18, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #106 of 830
Hello everyone,
nice thread discussions going on here. Little bit basic but nevermind.

What I really would be interested in, are informations about the driver of the NDH 20.

I wonder if they really made a completely new one, or if they redesigned the one of the HD700 and also the HD660, since their driver was made by Neumann as well.
Pics would be perfect.

I already thought about ordering one, disassable it woth much care and send it back. But that's a little too risky for me I guess.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #107 of 830
Hi @interface95,

As @FullBright1 & Neumann themselves have stated, completely seperate team to Sennehesier who designed & built the NDH 20.

As far as I am aware, this is from a manufacturing standpoint, unless one has the same workshop, not to mention license, what would be the point in just looking at the driver?
Especially if you're going to reassemble it after disassembly particularly since this would void the warranty in the first place.

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #108 of 830
They may stated this, but the design is obvisously touched by modern Sennheiser products, no wondern since Neumann is part of the Sennheiser GmbH.
It also would not make sense if both sub companis totally develope their own drivers.
For example: the driver from the HD700 and the HD660s was developed by Neumann, but I also stated this.

You can tell quite a bit by only looking at it.
The whole magnet system for example as well as the damping mechanism behind the diaphragm.

The warranty void only break is you have to break this thin warranty labels inside, but I haven't seen them at headphones so far.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #110 of 830
Does anyone actually have them? Looking for hands on impressions. Reviews are scarce.

I reviewed them.
Check it out, if you have time.

I can tell you that they have an extremely flat frequency response, yet, offer fine resolution.
That's a bit of a hat trick, as on one hand they sound flat flat flat, yet, offer very nice micro detail, WHILE at the same time offering a very flat/neutral type of sonic signature.

Who will hate them?
anyone who adores AudioTech, or Beyer, or anyone who needs skull rattling bass or ice pick trebles.
If you need Audeze thick and warm tone, then do not buy these.
If you need AKG 701-02, "airy and missing bass and midrange", do not buy these.
If you enjoy owning good sounding closed headphones, and can appreciate that each headphone model has its own sound, and you dont need them to all sound alike to enjoy them, all, then buy this one.

These fine headphones are absolutely the gear you want if you are making music, recording, mixing, as they are almost like Yamaha NS10s...... very flat, nothing etched, far from an interesting sound, yet, perfect for studio work, as this is why they exist.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #111 of 830
My Audio-Technica M-70x have a flat response (still have some of that ATH brightness but way more neutral than 50’s). Use them for tracking in my studio with my Focusrite Pre.

I wonder how much of an upgrade you think the Neumann’s would be? Certainly way better in terms of build quality. 70s are all plastic and prone to snapping.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #112 of 830
My Audio-Technica M-70x have a flat response (still have some of that ATH brightness but way more neutral than 50’s). Use them for tracking in my studio with my Focusrite Pre.

I wonder how much of an upgrade you think the Neumann’s would be? Certainly way better in terms of build quality. 70s are all plastic and prone to snapping.

The Neumann's as compared to the ATM70x, have a wider soundstage, better midrange, and more natural bass response.
Build quality is better.
The M70x's achieve their clarity based on treble response, while the Neumann's offer clarity based on resolution.
The Neumann's would sound very flat to you, if you are use to the M70x's.
Much different sounding headphone then your ATM70x

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #113 of 830
Hi @interface95,

As @FullBright1 & Neumann themselves have stated, completely seperate team to Sennehesier who designed & built the NDH 20.

As far as I am aware, this is from a manufacturing standpoint, unless one has the same workshop, not to mention license, what would be the point in just looking at the driver?
Especially if you're going to reassemble it after disassembly particularly since this would void the warranty in the first place.

To spend $500 USD, just to tweek a headphone, is perhaps a bit outrageous.
But on the other hand, owning 100 sets of headphones, (or more) is also outrageous.
In the end, its all good, if it makes you happy, and isn't a crime or a moral transgression.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #114 of 830
To spend $500 USD, just to tweek a headphone, is perhaps a bit outrageous.
But on the other hand, owning 100 sets of headphones, (or more) is also outrageous.
In the end, its all good, if it makes you happy, and isn't a crime or a moral transgression.
And speaking of buying more headphones, today i'll receive the Focal Elegia's.
I'll try to get my listener's opinion posted on their Thread here, soon.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #116 of 830
The Neumann's as compared to the ATM70x, have a wider soundstage, better midrange, and more natural bass response.
Build quality is better.
The M70x's achieve their clarity based on treble response, while the Neumann's offer clarity based on resolution.
The Neumann's would sound very flat to you, if you are use to the M70x's.
Much different sounding headphone then your ATM70x

Have you heard the M70x? It’s supposed to be neutral not treble forward. But clearly you know more than me on this subject. So just trying to understand why you say treble.

Bottom line it seems like you think I will be able to monitor and mix my music with more clarity with the Neumann’s, right?

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #118 of 830
Have you heard the M70x? It’s supposed to be neutral not treble forward. But clearly you know more than me on this subject. So just trying to understand why you say treble.

Bottom line it seems like you think I will be able to monitor and mix my music with more clarity with the Neumann’s, right?

More treble with the M70x.
And yes, the Neumann's will be a much more valuable tool for your recording, mixing and mastering.
They are quite suitable as substitutes for standing monitors.
Just remember that they sound nothing like your M70x, and if you get them, try not to listen to anything before you use them, upon arrival.
Fresh ears, and allow your ears 2-3 days with them, as these are unique sounding headphones, and are specifically created for monitoring music you are creating.

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #119 of 830
They sound perfect. I live in a studio apartment in NYC, so I try to avoid using speakers whenever I can. If these cans will substitute for monitors, that would be amazing.

I’m also pretty forgiving of different sound sigs. I can go from my ATH to my Sundaras no problem. With the Neumann’s, I just want the unadulterated truth. Sounds like they will deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back