Neil Peart's M50 Mod
Apr 20, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #31 of 41
I just posted that picture on a Rush message board I frequent and will report back if anyone knows why he chose those and the significance of the double ear pads. Some very "involved" Rush fans on there so someone is bound to know.

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #32 of 41
Honestly why /not/ the M50? He's just using these as a stage monitor to hear what everyone else is doing, he doesn't need to hear every tiny detail about Lifeson's guitar. He just needs to hear what's going on. They're smaller than lots of audiophile headphones, they're closed (not massively isolating which is worrysome, TBH, but it's at least not a pair of HD600). They're light... what would be better? Maybe it's between these and the HD-25, but those are on ear which can be a hassle while drumming. I guess the D2000 could be a good contender but... really, what do you think he should be using if not the M50?

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #33 of 41

Quote:
Honestly why /not/ the M50? He's just using these as a stage monitor to hear what everyone else is doing, he doesn't need to hear every tiny detail about Lifeson's guitar. He just needs to hear what's going on. They're smaller than lots of audiophile headphones, they're closed (not massively isolating which is worrysome, TBH, but it's at least not a pair of HD600). They're light... what would be better? Maybe it's between these and the HD-25, but those are on ear which can be a hassle while drumming. I guess the D2000 could be a good contender but... really, what do you think he should be using if not the M50?

Beats!!!

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #34 of 41
oh certainly.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #36 of 41

Quote:
maybe the idea behind the double pad is to increase the clamping force, hence isolate beter?

Yeah, I think you got it right. At least that was my initial thought. Peart is no pinhead, but he is moving pretty good sometimes and it probably just stay's in place better.
Maybe his choice of cans has more to do with their ability to clamp than with their sound signature.

Isolation improvement... is debatable, however.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #37 of 41

Quote:
I have 2 guesses why Neil would be wearing M50's

1. Audio Technica said "Hey Neil, wear these for a couple of concerts and we will pay you 1.5 million dollars" and he said "double the pads and bring them on"

2. He was running out of the house and he grabbed his kids headphones by mistake....ooops...I guess I'm wearing these tonight
gs1000.gif

I'm not trying to be a wise guy regarding my first comment above , but I'm in the film and television industry and I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I can bet almost anything that my comment #1 is correct. It's called product placement and companies pay BIG BUCKS for celebrities to wear, play or even eat there product. We get approached CONSTANTLY to have products in our projects. Everything from shirts to hats to soda pop. Fender and Gibson pay TONS to make sure certain guitar players play there guitars. If you think Clapton is playing an American Standard Strat you're wrong. The companies want the product to look like the stock items that anyone can buy, but unfortunately they are not.

This is just my opinion.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #38 of 41

Quote:
I have 2 guesses why Neil would be wearing M50's

1. Audio Technica said "Hey Neil, wear these for a couple of concerts and we will pay you 1.5 million dollars" and he said "double the pads and bring them on"

2. He was running out of the house and he grabbed his kids headphones by mistake....ooops...I guess I'm wearing these tonight
gs1000.gif

I'm not trying to be a wise guy regarding my first comment above , but I'm in the film and television industry and I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I can bet almost anything that my comment #1 is correct. It's called product placement and companies pay BIG BUCKS for celebrities to wear, play or even eat there product. We get approached CONSTANTLY to have products in our projects. Everything from shirts to hats to soda pop. Fender and Gibson pay TONS to make sure certain guitar players play there guitars. If you think Clapton is playing an American Standard Strat you're wrong. The companies want the product to look like the stock items that anyone can buy, but unfortunately they are not.

This is just my opinion.

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #39 of 41

Quote:

This is just my opinion.

opinions? or facts? in any case, it doesn't really matter. i myself am a product placement.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #40 of 41
I'm with Sperandeo.  Also, the guy has been sitting behind a drum kit on a really loud stage for 30 odd years, unfortunately, hearing damage is a serious occupation hazard, so what sounds good to him probably won't work for most audiophiles, so I wouldn't recommend trying it just because Neil does it.  At the least, your ears would start bleeding.....  He's still a great drummer.

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #41 of 41
I had a random thought that maybe he cut out all the foam that would normally separate your ears from the drivers and put on more pads. It probably helps the mids a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back