Negative Aspects of Top CIEMs
May 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #31 of 106
Well, it depends on how you define relaxed. It's definitely more engaging than HD598. I find mids and highs to engage me in music, but many people consider bass to be engaging. UERM is relaxing in low volumes and exciting in high volume imo. 

Ok. Let me rephrase. UERM will be relaxing with relaxing music and engaging with engaging music.

May 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #32 of 106
Quote:

I hope you like your UERM. I sure do.

Thanks! My asgard 2 shipped today so I'll let you know how they sound once I get both of them, as well as with the headstage arrow.

Quote:
Well, it depends on how you define relaxed. It's definitely more engaging than HD598. I find mids and highs to engage me in music, but many people consider bass to be engaging. UERM is relaxing in low volumes and exciting in high volume imo. 

Ok. Let me rephrase. UERM will be relaxing with relaxing music and engaging with engaging music.

Haha, we seem to think the same way (as stated before in the multi-ciem thread)! If the UERMs sound like how you describe it to be, then I'm going to love them. For me, the beyer t70's treble makes my music sound more lively and engaging while relaxing music is relaxing. 

Sorry this thread is supposed to be discussing the negatives of CIEMs :p

May 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #33 of 106
Quote:

Thanks! My asgard 2 shipped today so I'll let you know how they sound once I get both of them, as well as with the headstage arrow.

Haha, we seem to think the same way (as stated before in the multi-ciem thread)! If the UERMs sound like how you describe it to be, then I'm going to love them. For me, the beyer t70's treble makes my music sound more lively and engaging while relaxing music is relaxing. 

Sorry this thread is supposed to be discussing the negatives of CIEMs :p

I heard someone saying that UERM is a chameleon. I got Leckerton UHA 6S MKII for my UERM. I'll post on how it sounds too.

But to bring this thread back,
UERM is not as fast(bass) as JH13.

May 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #34 of 106
I read that comment before too. I think it's probably the best way to describe the UERMs haha.

May 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #35 of 106
Quote:
My cost of impressions would have been $75 if I didn't get them for free due to the head-fi meet discount. Interesting thread, too bad I don't have any CIEMs yet until sometime either next week or early in 2 weeks.

Edit: the UERM is relaxed sounding? Interesting.

I also got free impressions - Since I am close to San Diego, Heir Audio (Brannon) came out and met me at a local Starbucks - since I have no shame. He laid out all his equipment and was extremely professional - Since it was Heir Audio doing the impressions, I didn't have the risk of having them done and then sending them to San Diego only to find out there was an issue with them. I have heard of a number of buyers who have had to re-do their impressions after the trip to Southern California.  Now I have to wait - I do have the nice, warm feeling that my customs are in process and best of all - paid for - but I must say the anticipation is a bear. I am looking forward to getting them in my hands. It's akin to waiting for Christmas Morning - lol. A question to CIEM owners - did you thin out "the herd" when you got your customs? I have a lot of barely used IEM's that will probably not see much use when these arrive - I can't see buying anything top tier for a long while.

May 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #36 of 106
One negative aspects of top CIEMs - Waiting 3+ weeks to get your impressions made, get them sent out, and then waiting for it to be made and sent back (especially from the other side of the U.S)

May 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #37 of 106
Negative aspects of customs? How about the huge hit you take on resale if you're not happy with them for any reason? Or, in my case, the FutureSonics MG6Pro drivers are ruined if one tries to re-mold... so mine have no resale value, and I'm stuck with them. Basically they're a paperweight. I don't like their sound at all anymore now that I own the Fitear ToGo 334. So I'm thoroughly soured on customs, and will never purchase another especially since there are many awesome 'pseudo-custom' universals coming out such as Heir Audio 4.ai, TG!334, Aurisonics ASG-2 (next one I plan on trying), etc etc. And your friends can try them and hear what you enjoy. Rant over.....

May 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #38 of 106
I'm in the process of getting a pair of 1964 Ears V-6s (my appointment at the audiologist is next Thursday and I'll drop the molds off at 1964 the same day. Yay for living in the same city!) And I've already noticed a few things. No way to reliably figure out what they're like before you buy; the universal demos don't usually sound quit like the end result and almost nobody owns all the pairs you're looking at.(Well, except some audio reviewers, and I trust profesional audio reviewers about as far as I can throw them.) Too many options; how am I supposed to choose from so many awesome color combos and faceplates!? And finally, no way to truly show them off to your friends or loan them out to someone to try out. I'll get back with specifics when I get my V-6's in a couple weeks. :wink:

May 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #39 of 106
Not being able to let your friends hear your CIEMs is a bummer... but hey, that's what our full sized headphones are for! ^^

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #41 of 106
Quote:
Not being able to let your friends hear your CIEMs is a bummer... but hey, that's what our full sized headphones are for! ^^

Weirdish late response to this comment.

But that moment when you sacrificed your Full-sized forr CIEMS :p... T.T

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #42 of 106
I have a set of Aurisonics AS-2 CIEMs, with the bass porting and with the "awareness" port. 

While I think they're wonderful for country, bluegrass, jazz, and some forms of rock, and even favorites for jazz and bluegrass, as the number of instruments and thickness of orchestration grows, there's a point where they go all mushy and indistinct.

It's really quite odd.  Mumford and Sons, classical music, almost unlistenable for some reason.  Indistinct, headed towards muffled, almost confused sounding.  Things like Alison Krauss, ZZ Top, Yes, Rolling Stones, Miles Davis, absolutely lovely, with great imaging, good balance, tremendous clarity.

I'm comparing them to several different IEMs and custom Westone ES-5s (which I can't come up with anything to criticize other than they make poorly engineered music sound poorly engineered...) and to Etymotics of several types mounted in custom ear molds.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #45 of 106
Quote:
UERM: This is related to design of the original UERM(you may request UE to change it). The clear color+earwax makes the ciem look rather unclean. I clean them every night.

Do you think that is particular to the UERM? Or all clear acrylic CIEM's? I imagine if it was an issue with all CIEM's - the option for clear canals wouldn't be so popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back