Needing some earphone shopping recommendations (~$300 dollar, maybe 350 dollar, if necessary, CAD budget)
Jul 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Pure Quickness

Head-Fier
Hello:

I've looked at a lot of the ratings of different earphones. But I still can't make sense of it all, despite so many brand names.

Just to make this quick and easy, I'll provide a list of what I need in an earphone and if possible, some recommendations please!

- earphones that have detachable cables
- earphones that provide quality sound!* (see below for my desired sound signature)
- Although I LOVE hearing the clean boom sound just like the next person, I really enjoy hearing the sparkly 'highs' and male/female vocal music. Bass, therefore is NOT a necessity but is a bonus (Etymotic is a company that I've listened to and I like their sound)
- Musical genres: Broad - from Pop (mainstream) to Electronic Dance Music to Rock/Alternative and open-minded to many others (especially involving instruments)
- Budget of around ~350 CAD if necessary but ideally around the ~$300 mark or lower.

- As mentioned, I do like Etymotic and I want to support their company yet I'm not sure if their earphones are detachable cables. I've tried the Er6i and it unfortunately broke and hate replacing earphones like that. It's expensive and inefficient.

Please recommend me stuff!

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
Hello:

I've looked at a lot of the ratings of different earphones. But I still can't make sense of it all, despite so many brand names.

Just to make this quick and easy, I'll provide a list of what I need in an earphone and if possible, some recommendations please!

- earphones that have detachable cables
- earphones that provide quality sound!* (see below for my desired sound signature)
- Although I LOVE hearing the clean boom sound just like the next person, I really enjoy hearing the sparkly 'highs' and male/female vocal music. Bass, therefore is NOT a necessity but is a bonus (Etymotic is a company that I've listened to and I like their sound)
- Musical genres: Broad - from Pop (mainstream) to Electronic Dance Music to Rock/Alternative and open-minded to many others (especially involving instruments)
- Budget of around ~350 CAD if necessary but ideally around the ~$300 mark or lower.

- As mentioned, I do like Etymotic and I want to support their company yet I'm not sure if their earphones are detachable cables. I've tried the Er6i and it unfortunately broke and hate replacing earphones like that. It's expensive and inefficient.

Please recommend me stuff!

Thanks!

The ER4 series has detachable cables.  I'm not sure if you can find it, but at times Westone 4s can be found for around 350 as well.  May be worth a look into.  Both IEMs have detachable cables.  Since you like vocals, another IEM to think about may be something from the Shure household.  I haven't heard Shure myself, but general consensus around here is that they are good with vocals. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

The ER4 series has detachable cables.  I'm not sure if you can find it, but at times Westone 4s can be found for around 350 as well.  May be worth a look into.  Both IEMs have detachable cables.  Since you like vocals, another IEM to think about may be something from the Shure household.  I haven't heard Shure myself, but general consensus around here is that they are good with vocals. 

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the confirmation on the Er4 series.

Westone 4s huh? I will check them out and do some research on them.

I've pondered on getting something in the 530 series but as far as I know, they are not detachable and I've heard of them breaking :frowning2:

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the confirmation on the Er4 series.

Westone 4s huh? I will check them out and do some research on them.

I've pondered on getting something in the 530 series but as far as I know, they are not detachable and I've heard of them breaking :frowning2:

535 has detachable cable...  I don't know about build.  I've heard of the 215s having build issues though.  W4s are among the most respected IEMs on Head-Fi and regarded as being one of the best universals out there (SM3, W4, PFE232, EX1000, K3003, are regarded as being some of the best of the best; some are extremely expensive though). 

@AstroTurf: cables are normally the first things to go on an IEM and the most stressed part of any headphone.  The ability to change them is like changing a 50 dollar cable vs a 300 dollar IEM.  You look past warranty as during, the whole unit can be replaced.  It can also make it easier on the manufacturer as replacing a cable uses less resources than a whole system (housings, drivers, cable). 

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 17
An aftermarket cable replacement kit for the Etymotic ER-4 is available.

Etymotic will not sell you a cable over the counter.

Etymotic will fully service and repair the ER-4 Series IEMs though.

Even the ones that they sold way back in 1991.

But, They will not sell you a cable over the counter. Nor will they sell you a Balanced Armature Speaker either.

I believe it has to do with quality control. After the ER-4 is repaired, it is then calibrated and balanced by an Etymotic Technician with the necessary equipment to do so.

Something that an average consumer could not do.

Thereby maintaining the highest quality, and customer satisfaction.

Hope it helps, Jim

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
An aftermarket cable replacement kit for the Etymotic ER-4 is available.

Etymotic will not sell you a cable over the counter.

Etymotic will fully service and repair the ER-4 Series IEMs though.

Even the ones that they sold way back in 1991.

But, They will not sell you a cable over the counter. Nor will they sell you a Balanced Armature Speaker either.

I believe it has to do with quality control. After the ER-4 is repaired, it is then calibrated and balanced by an Etymotic Technician with the necessary equipment to do so.

Something that an average consumer could not do.

Thereby maintaining the highest quality, and customer satisfaction.

Hope it helps, Jim

No one is expecting them to replace a driver... 

Still stand by my word that a cable replacement will still be cheaper than a full unit replacement as Etymotic charges 50 dollars for a cable: http://www.etymotic.com/cs/er4service.html

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
@AstroTurf: cables are normally the first things to go on an IEM and the most stressed part of any headphone.  The ability to change them is like changing a 50 dollar cable vs a 300 dollar IEM.  You look past warranty as during, the whole unit can be replaced.  It can also make it easier on the manufacturer as replacing a cable uses less resources than a whole system (housings, drivers, cable). 

@Tinyman

Yes, I understand all of that.

But, Let me ask you this. Of every brand that has been recommended (besides Etymotic), What is their service policy? Not warranty policy. Do/Will they service the product beyond the warranty period? At what cost?

Thanks, Jim

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

No one is expecting them to replace a driver... 

Still stand by my word that a cable replacement will still be cheaper than a full unit replacement as Etymotic charges 50 dollars for a cable: http://www.etymotic.com/cs/er4service.html

You are preaching to the Choir on Etymotic Policy...

But Thanks, Jim

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
@Tinyman

Yes, I understand all of that.

But, Let me ask you this. Of every brand that has been recommended (besides Etymotic), What is their service policy? Not warranty policy. Do/Will they service the product beyond the warranty period? At what cost?

Thanks, Jim

Most warranties tend to go from 1 year up to 2 (depends on model, company, etc).  There service policies go from replacing the defective item itself all the way up to the item.  Most, if not all, companies have out of warranty service.  Westone, Phonak, MEE, Shure all have some policy for out-of-warranty products.  Cost depends on model and part replaced. 

Of all the warranty companies I've dealt with (exchanges done through cust service): Westone, Phonak, MEE, and Moshi (I haven't gone through Shure's), I found that MEE was the best of the bunch followed by Phonak, Westone, then Moshi.  MEE tends to get you a replacement pair before you send yours out.  They use speedy 2 day deliver as well and pay shipping both ways.  Top notch.  Phonak uses slower shipping, but does pay shipping both ways (at least with my exchange they did).  Westone pays half shipping.  Moshi goes the same way (I'd assume; except they didn't want my defective product :p).

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Most warranties tend to go from 1 year up to 2.  There service policies go from replacing the defective item itself all the way up to the item.  Most, if not all, companies have out of warranty service.  Westone, Phonak, MEE, Shure all have some policy for out-of-warranty products.  Cost depends on model and part replaced. 

Point me to them...

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Point me to them...

I've used them, read my edited post.  Literally, I've replaced products through them. Most, if not all, companies tends to have as good of service as Etymotic.  Etymotic warranty service is good, there are others out there that are just as good. 

EDIT: take that back, the best I've gone through was Apple.  Went in looking for a single small tip, ended up replacing my whole headset (ADDIEM).  No questions asked, fast service (I know people will hate on me for this, but Apple support service is actually normally top notch; they give leway on timing as well). 

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

I've used them, read my edited post.  Literally, I've replaced products through them. Most, if not all, companies tends to have as good of service as Etymotic.  Etymotic warranty service is good, there are others out there that are just as good. 

EDIT: take that back, the best I've gone through was Apple.  Went in looking for a single small tip, ended up replacing my whole headset (ADDIEM).  No questions asked, fast service (I know people will hate on me for this, but Apple support service is actually normally top notch; they give leway on timing as well). 

Can't point to them quite as clearly as Etymotic...

Duly noted.

Thanks for your time tinyman.

Jim

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Can't point to them quite as clearly as Etymotic...

Duly noted.

Thanks for your time tinyman.

Jim

You can, I'm just too lazy to look up each companies warranty page.  Each one uses different terms and deals with them differently.  Each company does have a warranty page though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back