Need your help with an update: M50 vs HD600/650
Jan 15, 2011 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spartan86

New Head-Fier

Hello Head-Fi,
How big is the difference between ATH-M50 and HD600/650? I'm planning for an update, but is it worth spending 400$ on it. My DAC/AMP is Audio-GD Sparrow B. It should be enough to drive the sennheisers to a satisfactory level.
I really enjoy my M50, but I'd like to hear more prominent vocals. M50 feels like it is all about instruments and bass and I cann't really hear what people are singing with these.
So how big is the gap between M50 and HD-6x0?

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 6
The Sparrow should be a good match for the Senns, but only you can determine whether it's worth the upgrade.

I had the M50 and now have the HD650. The HD650 has a lush and natural presentation, without embellishment in the bass or treble that I greatly prefer over the M50's treble etched, congested and artificial sound signature. I'm incredibly content with the synergy in my setup so for me it was worth it, but I do wish I'd held on to the M50 as well.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your input.
I'm not going to sell my M50. It'll be my backup headphone I think.
So HD650 was a worthy update for you. I think I'll go after it.
Should I expect a WOW felling or is it a minor difference in sound quality between the two?
Thanks again.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for your input.
I'm not going to sell my M50. It'll be my backup headphone I think.
So HD650 was a worthy update for you. I think I'll go after it.
Should I expect a WOW felling or is it a minor difference in sound quality between the two?
Thanks again.

Lol. I asked that same question before getting the HD650. Read this.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 6
No problem. If you do decide to go with the HD650 I suggest you spend some time with it before passing judgement. It's a different beast to the M50 and may take some time to get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back