Need your help upgrading my HD650
Nov 19, 2019 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DonRoger

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm in for a new pair of headphones to replace my HD650, my budget is 1000 to 1200 max ( maybe 1500 if it's really worth it). I use my headphones with a Schiit Valhalla 2 -> Dragonfly Red -> Spotify Premium/PC.

The headphones i'm looking at so far:
HD800s (€1590, a lot over my budget, but it could be my endgame if it's really that good)
Audeze LCD-X (€1499, expensive, not sure if this is the best option)
Focus Clear (€1499 also over my budget, but I hear really good things about it. Could be my endgame too)
Audeze LCD-2 (€1299, this is more to my budget)
HiFiMan Ananda (€999)
Focal Elegia (€899)
Focal Elear (€699 at the moment, normally €999 and; Elex is not available in The Netherlands, sadly)

Mostly I listen to:
Queen, Genesis, Scorpions, AC/DC, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Guns n' Roses, Toto, Gorillaz, UB40, Sia, Michael Jackson, Chicago

But I also like to listen to Vivaldi, Prokovief, Edvard Grieg now and then ( but not a lot )

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 5
You'll be disappointed unless you suck it up and go for the HD800. It's still the most prevalent TOTL headphone with most users. Audezes are bass bombs with no sparkle, Focals can bottom out the drivers under certain circumstances, and HiFiMan quality is a crapshoot.

To be clear - JMHO ...

Nov 21, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 5
You'll be disappointed unless you suck it up and go for the HD800. It's still the most prevalent TOTL headphone with most users. Audezes are bass bombs with no sparkle, Focals can bottom out the drivers under certain circumstances, and HiFiMan quality is a crapshoot.

To be clear - JMHO ...

Thank you for your honest opinion, Im going to a high end audio store next weekend. Lets hope I can test them out without getting disapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back