Need your advice: UM Merlin or UE18?
Nov 27, 2012 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

king8888

500+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers

I have been saving money for my next custom since last year. I have been using JH16 for 2 years and I really want a side-grade. The 2 customs that get my attention are UE18 and UM Merlin. I'm very curious about this 2 customs. I have read a lot of reviews about the Merlin, however I haven't found much information about UE18. So, I really want to decide which one I should get in this December. I will really appreciate if any one can help me figure out this puzzle.

Any UE18 or Merlin owners, please give me some advice. Thank you.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 13
Well, what are you going for? Merlin is going to be even bassier, but is a more dynamic bass. The UE18 should be LESS bassy than the JH16, and more analytical. You're talking about two totally different IEM sounds here. Which direction do you want to step? The JH16 is already supposed to be considered robust in the bass department. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Well, what are you going for? Merlin is going to be even bassier, but is a more dynamic bass. The UE18 should be LESS bassy than the JH16, and more analytical. You're talking about two totally different IEM sounds here. Which direction do you want to step? The JH16 is already supposed to be considered robust in the bass department. 

personally, I haven't decided yet. I really want to try the hybrid design of the Merlin, I haven't heard a dynamic bass before. But the Ue18 is another great choice, since you said that UE18 tend to be analytical, I really want to change my taste a bit because I haven't heard any analytical IEM or CIEM before. So hard to decide, right?
My budget is 1400usd. I already had a good setup : sony z1050 + arrow 4g. Now I just wait for a new CIEM.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 13
Personally, I would pick the UM Miracle over the UE18. I own two CIEMs now: The Westone ES5 that is a bit mid-centric for the most lush mids you can get in an IEM, and I own the MG6Pro, which is a full dynamic IEM, no BA drivers, and it's the most plentiful bass you can get in an IEM. 

It's my opinion the Merlin would be a lot of fun, with a punchy and robust bass, moreso than you have now with the JH16. But, it will be similar in that both the JH16 and Merlin are considered to be bassier IEMs. Though the bass will be totally different. You have to know you want bass. All the time. If you ever found your JH16 bass too much, you might steer clear of the Merlin. If you ever craved a bit more, maybe with a lively punch, Merlin might do it for you. What do you listen to?

Or you can go something like the Miracle, which is basically neutral, super clean, nice and detailed while still musical. Nice and natural sounding, a fantastic IEM, but far less colored than the JH16. 

What do you listen to and what are you wanting? Clean and clear and natural? Or punchy, dynamic and engaging?

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Personally, I would pick the UM Miracle over the UE18. I own two CIEMs now: The Westone ES5 that is a bit mid-centric for the most lush mids you can get in an IEM, and I own the MG6Pro, which is a full dynamic IEM, no BA drivers, and it's the most plentiful bass you can get in an IEM. 

It's my opinion the Merlin would be a lot of fun, with a punchy and robust bass, moreso than you have now with the JH16. But, it will be similar in that both the JH16 and Merlin are considered to be bassier IEMs. Though the bass will be totally different. You have to know you want bass. All the time. If you ever found your JH16 bass too much, you might steer clear of the Merlin. If you ever craved a bit more, maybe with a lively punch, Merlin might do it for you. What do you listen to?

Or you can go something like the Miracle, which is basically neutral, super clean, nice and detailed while still musical. Nice and natural sounding, a fantastic IEM, but far less colored than the JH16. 

What do you listen to and what are you wanting? Clean and clear and natural? Or punchy, dynamic and engaging?

I mainly listen to pop. That's why I want a CIEM has a punchy, impact bass,neutral and not too recess mid. For the treble, I dont really care about it.

I really the bass of JH16 and I dont think is too bassy for me. The miracle (demo version), I found the bass and treble are very great but 1 thing I dont like is the mid range. It is too recess, sometimes it's hard to heard the vocal clearly. I don't know if the mid of Merlin is recess or not.

I really want to try other CIEM especially westone ES5 and Heir Audio 8A but the store I know only provide JH, UM and UE ciem. I don't have so much choices.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Can you listen to universal versions of the ones you're interested in? I don't think you're likely to find someone who has both the CIEM's you're interested in.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Can you listen to universal versions of the ones you're interested in? I don't think you're likely to find someone who has both the CIEM's you're interested in.

If i can find the demo version of these 2 custom, I won't post this thread.

I have read many review about Merlin so I can imagine what it's signature. But UE18, I barely see one. I really want to find more information about UE18.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 13
IMO, the UE11 Pro would be a closer comparison to the Merlin, because the UE11 Pro's have a ton of bass. The final custom product is much more bassy than the demo also. The UE18's sounded pretty much the same to me as the UE11 minus the bass except the UE18 had a more 3D soundstage. By that, I mean that the UE11 had an ok soundstage width, as did the UE18's, but the UE18's had a better sense of depth. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
IMO, the UE11 Pro would be a closer comparison to the Merlin, because the UE11 Pro's have a ton of bass. The final custom product is much more bassy than the demo also. The UE18's sounded pretty much the same to me as the UE11 minus the bass except the UE18 had a more 3D soundstage. By that, I mean that the UE11 had an ok soundstage width, as did the UE18's, but the UE18's had a better sense of depth. 

thanks, I really appreciate your information. Well, I guess I can not go with neither UE18 nor Merlin since they have the similar sound with the JH16.

How about Heir 8A? What do you think?

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

thanks, I really appreciate your information. Well, I guess I can not go with neither UE18 nor Merlin since they have the similar sound with the JH16.

How about Heir 8A? What do you think?

Can't really help you there. Never had the opportunity to try them. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back