need suggestions for headphones/equipment
Dec 11, 2010 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

perry753

New Head-Fier
Hi all - long time lurker here!

My browser crashed when I was in the middle of writing this post so this rewrite might be really succinct.  

Currently, I am using a pair of Shure SRH 440's. I love the design of these headphones. They look very nice, can be folded, and have a cool, detachable, and curly cord that only connects to one side of the headphones.

My musical tastes can be viewed here: http://www.last.fm/user/perry753

These are some of the genres I listen to regularly and enjoy:

trance/electronic/house: Above & Beyond, Kaskade, ATB, Tiesto, Deadmau5

hiphop/r&b/pop: Usher, Katy Perry, Kesha, Taio Cruz, BoB

alt. rock: Muse, Jimmy Eat World

vocals: Sara Bareilles

These Shure 440's that I have excel with the vocal/rock music (the voices sound alive!) but does not do well with electronic music. I listen trance music on a daily basis but so far have not been able to enjoy much. My main source is my Macbook Pro and my desktop PC with an integrated audio chip.

I am looking for a 2nd pair of headphones for my electronic music. I want a pair that can be improved upon with the use of additional equipment. Currently I am looking at the Denon D2000.

Also, I am interested in getting a DAC with both USB/optical input. From what I can tell, a DAC can be used with my computers and does not require the use of an additional amp (am I correct on this?). I'd rather get something that can be used with both computers rather than a sound card for just one of them.

My budget is about $200 for headphones and $200 for a DAC. If it turns out that I'd rather not spend too much, then I might just get the Denon D1001 or D2000 and no additional equipment.

thanks!
perry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back