Need speaker recommendations (Focal, NHT, or B&W)
Nov 29, 2008 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using the Best Buy Insignia NS-B2111 speakers, and thought it is about time to start saving up for an upgrade.

I narrowed it down to the following, based on my budget (about $500):

Focal Chorus 705V or 706V
B&W 685
NHT Classic Two or Classic Three

It will be connected to the Pioneer A-35R stereo amp; and will be placed on my desk, on either side of a computer monitor.

I like a smooth, warm, laid back sound (like my Sennheiser HD650 headphones). My music preference is classical, pop, country, jazz, instrumental.

I'm currently leaning towards the Focal 706V. One of the reasons is that I really like the design
biggrin.gif
and it is made in France.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 33
If you want smooth and laid back, I'd probably go with a British company like B&W, Wharfedale, or even Quad. However, if you're listening to speakers on either side of your computer, you're most likely going to be listening really close - so your going to want a good near-field monitor like something from Acoustic Energy or even ATC. I would do some research on speakers that are great for close listening (near-field).

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using the Best Buy Insignia NS-B2111 speakers, and thought it is about time to start saving up for an upgrade.

I narrowed it down to the following, based on my budget (about $500):

Focal Chorus 705V or 706V
B&W 685
NHT Classic Two or Classic Three

It will be connected to the Pioneer A-35R stereo amp; and will be placed on my desk, on either side of a computer monitor.

I like a smooth, warm, laid back sound (like my Sennheiser HD650 headphones). My music preference is classical, pop, country, jazz, instrumental.

I'm currently leaning towards the Focal 706V. One of the reasons is that I really like the design
biggrin.gif
and it is made in France.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I think all of the speakers you are considering are all really good choices, with the Jm Focal 706V bearing fine aesthetics. I am all about bang for the buck, being the budget minded audiophile always trying to get the best sound for my money. I'm sure you've heard of Paradigm, Canadian manufacturer of some the finest speakers on the planet. No company has garnered more awards than Paradigm, as they have been rated #1 for the last 20 years. The Titan Monitor is an excellent choice that should not go overlooked, seen it selling for $349.Even the Atom Monitor may suit ypur needs, and it's like $249, so you can even save some money. I have six Paradigm Titans for my 7.1 HT setup, been using Paradigms for the last 15 years or so. You will not be dissapointed, go to Paradigm | Exceptional Loudspeakers for Music and Home Theater & check it out!
Headphile808.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 33
id go with the paradigm speakers, personally. 2 on that..

BW aint what it used to be. Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphile808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think all of the speakers you are considering are all really good choices, with the Jm Focal 706V bearing fine aesthetics. I am all about bang for the buck, being the budget minded audiophile always trying to get the best sound for my money. I'm sure you've heard of Paradigm, Canadian manufacturer of some the finest speakers on the planet. No company has garnered more awards than Paradigm, as they have been rated #1 for the last 20 years. The Titan Monitor is an excellent choice that should not go overlooked, seen it selling for $349.Even the Atom Monitor may suit ypur needs, and it's like $249, so you can even save some money. I have six Paradigm Titans for my 7.1 HT setup, been using Paradigms for the last 15 years or so. You will not be dissapointed, go to Paradigm | Exceptional Loudspeakers for Music and Home Theater & check it out!
Headphile808.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 33
I can't speak too much for Paradigm other than definitely a solid recommendation. I will, however, throw my hat in the ring for the Focals. Both the 705v and 706v have a very similar presence with the 706v besting in the extremes, but may be just a little too much for desktop application. I say go with the 705v unless you plan on getting them off of the desktop and in to a more traditional setup in the future.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 33
Although ill probably be buying the Paradigm studio 20, or 40 with an SVS sub,,
If youre sitting right in front of them, you may want something more laid back. Maybe an Epos ELS3. Theyre only like $300 a pair, and compete favorably with speakers much higher in price.
Look at Stereophiles reviews on their site.
Robert Reina reviews speakers under $1000, and compares some of the ones youre looking at.

Just remember to take proximity in consideration when purchasing.
Also, for a pc based system, the M-Audio 40 is on sale at Guitar Center. You may want to audition them . Theyre under $150 a pair, and are powered.
You may find Focals highs too prominant and tiring for close proximity listening.
Magnepan needs to make computer speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 33
Thanks for all the replies. I will check out the Paradigm Titan Monitor.
I found 3 dealers close to me that carries the Focal, NHT, and Paradigm (but not all in one place, so comparison will be a bit harder). I will go have a listen today.

With all the choices above (Paradigm Titan, Focal 705/706, and NHT Classic Three), do I have to worry about my amp (Pioneer A-35R) not being able to drive the speakers properly? I believe they are 45 watts per channel. I don't want to upgrade my amp if I don't have to (although I could upgrade in about a year if it is absolutely necessary).

Nov 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 33
I don't have experience with these specific models, but I can give some feedback on the general house sound for the different options you have listed.

Of all of them, I would say that Focal would probably be your best bet. The Focals that I used to own had a very smooth, though extended, treble presentation. Very laid-back through the whole frequency spectrum, but still very detailed.

B&W would be another good option, but not quite as smooth as Focal, in my opinion.

Paradigm is not exactly what I consider "smooth". From all the various Paradigm speakers I've heard, I'd place them in the Grado-ish category, although I'm sure that some here would disagree with me.

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by top pop
the focals I had

did you have the focals being referenced here? Ive yet to find any "house sound" with any speaker manufacturer.. there are so many things that influence the final outcome.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 33
Based on your preferences, I would think your best bet is the B&W (I'm more familiar with other B&W speakers). Never heard the NHT but have heard Focal Chorus and Paradigm Studio speakers.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 33
What about Dynaudio? Do they have anything in my price range (less than $700)?

Also, what is a good place to buy these speakers? I know Music Direct sells the Focal 706V.
What about the others? I actually prefer to order online if possible to save on taxes.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #12 of 33
focal and warm/laidback does not belong in the same sentence. you can find better.
i detest b&w and the nht is better suited for home theater.

look for a used triangle titus, will be a considerable upgrade at less than 500.

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 33
Triangle is a great speaker. Focal is annoying to me.
Dynaudio's dome tweeters are smooth and laid back for close up listening, but theyre expensive.

Good buys are - Paradigm, Epos, Energy
Cheap buys are - Polk, Infinity (Primus series)

You can even go to a music store and get - M-Audio, KRK, Yamaha, Alesis,.....and other studio monitors, but theyll be accurate, so listen for the sound you want if you like some flavoring.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 33
i have to say, i'm not a fan of B&W at all... especially in the budget range. it's just not a company that offers value for dollar, and the 6XX series seriously underperforms in both sound and build quality, IMHO.

Focal has some good stuff, but I agree with other posters that it's not going to give you smooth/laid back.

I haven't heard NHT, so I can't comment. but this brand has nothing in common with B&W or Focal, so I don't really understand how it joined the mix.

My pick for really great, affordable bookshelf speakers from a company that builds its own drivers and understands analog sound... is the Rega R1.

of course, its bigger brother, the R5 is the anchor of my system, but I feel like I got the bargain of the century buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back