Need speaker recommendations (Focal, NHT, or B&W)
Dec 23, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #31 of 33
After searching for several months I ended up with the Sierra-1s as well.
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using the Best Buy Insignia NS-B2111 speakers, and thought it is about time to start saving up for an upgrade.

I narrowed it down to the following, based on my budget (about $500):

Focal Chorus 705V or 706V
B&W 685
NHT Classic Two or Classic Three

It will be connected to the Pioneer A-35R stereo amp; and will be placed on my desk, on either side of a computer monitor.

I like a smooth, warm, laid back sound (like my Sennheiser HD650 headphones). My music preference is classical, pop, country, jazz, instrumental.

I'm currently leaning towards the Focal 706V. One of the reasons is that I really like the design
biggrin.gif
and it is made in France.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

\

Since you like SMOOTH, WARM, LAID BACK sound, you can rule out quite a lot of companies. Many speaker companies, including expensive speakers like Dynaudio are very detail oriented to the point of sounding too bright and forward.

I auditioned some Dynaudio Focus 140 monitors and couldn't believe how revealing they were of my equipment (atoll integrated with arcam cd player). They were harsh harsh harsh. They don't sound great unless you have some ridiculous front end.

I would recommend a BRITISH monitor like a Spendor or a Rogers...perhaps Harbeth? Also Wharfedale's give a very natural, warm, and laidback presentation. You can find spendor deals on audiogon if you look a lot - they go like hot cakes.

Wildwestelectronics has great deals on Wharfedales - I would recommend the diamond 9 range - super great deals and great entry into the sound of great British loudspeaker ingenuity.

Have fun!

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #33 of 33
I assume that you will be listen to the speakers in a nearfield setting. Thus, you wont be needing a lot of power to drive them. Maybe check out those single-driver i.e. fullrange loudspeakers such as omega ts1 or the new omega super 5 monitor. Oh and the spendor 3se sound really nice and smooth too.
cheers,
AP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back