Need Something to Compliment m50, dt 990 e9/e7 and gaming
Feb 1, 2011 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jronan2

500+ Head-Fier
 I have the E9/e7 combo i use for my ath m50 and dt990/600. Those headphones are absolutely perfect for hip hop/techno/heavier rock preferences. But I also listen to classic rock, soft modern rock. Song of my favorites are hootie & the blowfish, tom petty, boston, paul simon, nickelback, chili peppers, daughtry, metalica etc.. so you can see I listen to a pretty wide spectrum of rock. I also want my next pair to go along with my astro mixamp for xbox 360. I would like a big soundstage, but some bass. I was thinking about trying the ad700's but since i have the e9/e7 i think i can get something a little bit better and a little bit harder to drive. What do you guys think?

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 8
AD700 and bass should not be mentioned in the same paragraph.

Big soundstage and bass? That sounds like the DT990 to me, which you already have.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 8
+1 with what MLE said and ill add.. cause I have them for my xbox set up with mixamp- Beyer MMX 300. Yeah there are 32 ohm but the combo of the mic and DT 770 is sick and works very well with the astro mixamp. check my photos.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 8
 I dunno I literally had them for about 9 days so far they still might not even be fully burned in yet i didn't say they were bad at all I just don't think they were that amazing for rock n roll and what not. And I thought the 880's were what most people used for gaming, not the 990's. I'm not bashing the set up at all I researched the fiio set up and the DT 990's for a long time before i decided to buy i'm not regretful at all.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 8
The DT880 is in theory better suited for balanced gaming, but I wasn't a fan of them due to their lack of positional accuracy with my Mixamp. I'm not the only one to find it lacking in that department. The 990s are more open and have better positional cues than the 880s.

The sound of the 880s though, are fantastic, but it isn't MUCH different than the 990, just more balanced, and less exciting. All the Premium Beyers have a similar tone, with subtle differences in soundstage, bass and treble emphasis.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Eh, between my HF-1's and my Ultrasones, I much prefer the Ultrasone sound for rock. Grado's are good, but my PRO 900's just out-class them in every way possible. I realize there are two different cans in two different price ranges, but Ultrasone is often considered the "closed Grado". The treble is nice and sparkly and has strong mids, with enormous bass that doesn't overwhelm the other ranges of the spectrum. The S-Logic Plus counteracts the closed design and gives them an excellent soundstage; something Grado's just don't have. And they do make for excellent gaming cans.

EDIT: I am getting confused going back and fourth between these two threads... In any case, this should apply regardless; just to clarify for those reading and confused how Grado's came up.

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm listening right now to my DT990/600 with E7/E9 and definitely they have bass.

let them burn for a while... maybe u will notice a difference, maybe not :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back