Need something cheap and hard to drive !
Apr 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
No, this isnt a thread about Yugos - sorry to get your hopes up :)

I'm putting together a review of the iBasso P4 (with stock opamps), and my 'biggest' headphones are the PL50s at 55 ohms (wow..) - the rest are 16-32 ohms, although I still maintain that you need more than a DAP to drive my AD900s to their potential.

Whats the verdict, folks ? Surely Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser have something in the 50-100 dollar range that has people shaking their heads and thinking 'Why would you make these so $$%! hard to drive ??'.  Preferably something dark - darker than my PX200 IIs, for example, and considerably darker than my Grados/ATs. I dont care how nasty they are - the nastier the better - I just need to hook them up to the P4 and torture them for a week or so  :)

Thanks,

estreeter

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks Scompton - had a pair of T50RPs a couple of years back, but they are more than $100 here. I'll keep an eye out.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 14
Apr 18, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 14
WhiteCrow, I dont know exactly where 'Scappoose' is, but if the only 'meet' in your town is a bunch of hicks talking beef/grain prices in the main street, you might be onto something. Unless its a combine harvester, a pig dog (thats a dog for hunting pigs, not an unholy hybrid) or a new ute (read 'pickup'), chances are they dont want to know. Headphones are for city folk.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
WhiteCrow, I dont know exactly where 'Scappoose' is, but if the only 'meet' in your town is a bunch of hicks talking beef/grain prices in the main street, you might be onto something. Unless its a combine harvester, a pig dog (thats a dog for hunting pigs, not an unholy hybrid) or a new ute (read 'pickup'), chances are they dont want to know. Headphones are for city folk.

that's what everybody says....and yea its actully like that, the odd thing is that we are about....30min out of Portland so you would not expect the amount of redneckery that happens round these parts.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 14
AKG K240 Sextett should do the trick!  Warm, lush sound, and they are harder to drive then you would even expect for the 600ohm rating.  I think they're one of the hardest to drive dynamics around, esp to drive them well.  They scale better then HD650's IMO (the difference between ipod and uber amp is bigger then it is with HD650).  And they are everywhere, pretty easy to find one on ebay or some of the european ebays.  Or head-fi, though they cost more here. 

A Yamaha YH3 is cheap, and really hard to drive.  Takes full volume on the ipod without getting very loud.  Though I think they still sound really good out of an ipod...

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 14
I love my YH3 out of my ipod, it sounds great.  It's more dynamic out of a better amp, but the good tonality and speed is still there with an ipod, and that's what I care about most.  I don't hear any clipping.  But my priorities are not the same as most head-fiers as I am learning

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 14
For a while, I was playing my ATH-2 out of my iPod.  I got decent volume at about 75%, but the first time some bassy electronica came up, it clipped so bad it was barely recognizable.  The iPod really struggles with heavy bass.  I have an organ CD that just can't play on the iPod without clipping.  It clips even on line out.  It plays fine on my PC with an external DAC.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 14
Hmm I was just listening to TV on The Radio's Cookie Mountian album last night with the YH3 out of my ipod, and there is some really deep, strong bass in the beginning of the first track and it didn't seem to clip.  I think I would notice, but who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back