Need some help purchasing a decent headphone under 100 dollars (CDN)
Jan 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aegis303

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone

I actually have been lurking around this site for a while now, and recently have decided to purchase new headphones, and figure this would be the perfect place to ask.  I usually listen to music with cheap ear buds and decided that its time for a change.  The only headphones that i've ever have is the Razer Orca which i didn't really like (haha, i am a gamer i guess).

One thing I'll say first is that I would not consider myself as an audiophile, but i would still like something of decent quality.  Because these will be the first headphones I've personally purchase, I do not want it to be something too expensive, as I might not even understand or grasp the benefits of it (which is why i limited my choices to around 100 dollars).  I also CANNOT buy from the internet...sigh

Originally I wanted, to get a pair of beats solo HD because everyone uses them (so it shoudnt be too bad right? lol).  My friends told me although the headphones are good, they are not worth the price and can get something better for cheaper; so I've walked around different stores and narrow my choices into several headphones, however i do not really know which ones will fit my needs and etc.

Sennheiser:
HD 202
HD 418
HD 419 (i really love the designs for these)
HD 429 (the most expensive i can get)

I've chosen Sennheiser as I've heard pretty good rep from their headphones, and there arnt many brands around my area.  I also have to say my head is considered as big, so comfort is also a big issue.  I usually use these for both indoors and outdoors, while i am walking on streets and during transportation.  Designs are also kinda important to me, but i guess i wont be too picky for what i am asking for.  I don't really have a specific genre of song i listen to (maybe more towards rap/hip hop) and some bass is good for me.

If there are any suggestions on other headphones I would love to know, but the problem is whether i can find them in stores.  Please ask if there are any other questions, i ll gladly response.

Thank You.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Originally I wanted, to get a pair of beats solo HD because everyone uses them (so it shoudnt be too bad right? lol). 

If everybody jumps out the window, you jump too ?,lol

Quote:
My friends told me although the headphones are good, they are not worth the price and can get something better for cheaper;

They are right,lol.

I don't know the new versions of the 42x, but by adding a little bit more, you can buy the HFi580 and your friend with beat ll be jalous,lol.

Quote:
I also CANNOT buy from the internet...sigh

mad.gif
  Farewell the good price.

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 9
If there is a good reason to jump out the window i may follow XD

the HFi580 do seem pretty nice, but I dont think i have seen them anywhere near the stores near me.  And although the highest i am willing to spend is 429 (which is around 129.99).  But still, i may dig around to see if they are availible (just to broaden my choices).  A bit closer to 100 bucks will be more desirable.  Thx for the info though.  I'll probably by the headphones tomorrow, so it would be great if i can get more suggestions.

Right now after looking at more, I am generally leaning towards either the 202 and the 419.  202 is much cheaper, but something about the 419 attracts me lol.  But some personal experiences with these headphones would be nice.

I am also afraid these headphones would fit or be comfortable with big head of mine XD.

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Look around and see if you can find a grado dealer in your area, the sr60i and sr80i are under 100$, if you like the sound, Grado has a great product line and moving up in models gives you constant improvements in sound quality. I personally own a pair of sr325i's and I love them. Perhaps there are other headfiers in your local area that you can get acquainted with and demo they're gear. If you were in my area, Id arrange a meet and greet and let you have a listen to what I consider a great setup. It doesn't take much to get your feet wet and enthusiastic about the lifestyle / hobby. Good luck in your search :)  Heres a link to stereophiles review of the sr60's, they have been on the budget recommended products for years. http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/grado_sr60i_headphones/index.html

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Sorry for the double post, should've edit lol, but i got a question, I ve seen the sennhesier HD 428 for like 30 bucks less then the 429, are there any difference between the 2?

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Are the grados durable? i am just afraid things will break because my head is pretty big XD.

Durable yes, comfortable ...

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Thank you everyone for the input, i ended up with a semi-impluse buy of Sennheniser HD 448, which I am quite happy with.  Although it was way over my budget...lol.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
If there is a good reason to jump out the window i may follow XD

hahaha, I gotta say, WISE answer. Truly. You made my day.

Impulsive buys for the 'better' product happens pretty often--just try not to make it a habit :p
Anyway hope you like your senns!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back