Need some help deciding about a new pair of headphones.
Sep 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mrlolftw

Head-Fier
Hey guys, im starting to think about getting a new pair of cans to replace my K240 MKII's. Not because their broken or anything, its just now i have a job and would like to get a pair of headphones that are a bit better then the MKII's for some nicer sound. Ive scoured these forums and had a look at a few candidates along with some headphones i was considering when buying the K240's but just didn't have enough cash to actually afford them. I'de like the headphones to be under 400 USD. (under 350 would be great but if theyre exceptional i could spend 400.)

I like listening to really all kinds of music with the exception of metal. so Classial, Electronic, Pop and maybe some Rap on occasion.

Here are the options i have found and some reasons why ide consider them

AKG K702 - This was the pair of headphones i was actually going to get before my K240's, and i actually bid on a used pair of them, didnt win, realised i didnt have enough for a pair of new ones and got the K240's. Ive heard they have a really open sound which is what im looking for. Only downsides ive heard is that theyre rather hard to power, as my 55ohm K240's are barely  loud enough on my rockboxxed Sansa Clip + without an amp.

AKG K550 or K551(when it comes out) - Just found out about these recently and they look nice (albeit a bit Beats Proish) are closed, yet still apparently have a nice soundstage and seem to be sturdily built. 

Beyerdynamic DT880 - Heard alot of people raving on about how great they are and how neutral they sound (i hate non neutral sounding headphones, its like Photoshop for your music and just covers up the bad bits of the recording.) They seem like a nice choice with apparently a super open soundstage yet theyre 600ohms so i think if i choose these i may need a portable nuclear power plant to power em :p

Thats really all i found that seem to be of interest to me, but ide be open to any suggestions of other cans that could work for me. Oh and no Grados. I cant stand them. (immense comfort issues with them thats all.)

Thanks

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 5
HM5....i know its way offffffff your budget...:p
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back