Need some help choosing headphones for someone.
Dec 13, 2010 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

TheBananaMan

Head-Fier
Hey, fellow head-fi'ers, thanks for clicking on this thread to help me! I'm buying some headphones for someone, since she has almost no idea what she wants. These are the requirements (I sorta interviewed her and she managed to tell me a bit about what the headphones need to be)

The requirements are pretty much in order of importance, from most important (1) to least important (4).
It needs to be:
1 - Noise-isolating, circumaural (closed-back)
2 - Over-ear
3 - Good sound quality
4 - Comfortable

It will be un-amped, the budget is about $170 and it would help if it looked decent too (understandably, she doesnt want to look crazy in public like someone wearing Jecklin Floats
rolleyes.gif
.) She has no requirements for bass/mids/trebles etc but a balanced headphone would be good.

If there's some more info you need, please please tell me. I have kept the requirements simple but the order of importance is easily subject to change and I probably forgot to include some needed details.

Also, ATH-M50s are out of the list.

EDIT: Made requirements more direct.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 26
the decent looking part is going to get you
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 26
Lol what do you mean? I know I wont be able to find anything that actually looks nice (sorry my beloved headphone manufacturers, but IMO you guys have a bad sense of aesthetics :/) but I just need it to not look horrible basically.

Anyone?? Any suggestions to guide me to the right direction would be helpful!

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 26
I don't know, but for me. Most of the headphone I have bought, people don't really think of them as good looking.  That's really what I meant by what I said. Also keep in mind that the larger the cups, the worse they look.  =/  The only headphone I own that someone actually say look decent are my esw9.  Who knows, maybe I just don't look good with headphones. 

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 26
Seriously, only something with the form factor of the ESW9, ES7, ESW10JPN would be something I consider sexy. Everything else (even the small circumaural HAS700) is bigger than I'd like and looks funny worn. Nevermind the real full size headphones. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a pair of full sized headphones in public. They just look too goofy for public use, IMHO. I see people everyday wearing their full sized headphones in public, and I'm just like "oh no". :frowning2:

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
I don't know, but for me. Most of the headphone I have bought, people don't really think of them as good looking.  That's really what I meant by what I said. Also keep in mind that the larger the cups, the worse they look.  =/  The only headphone I own that someone actually say look decent are my esw9.  Who knows, maybe I just don't look good with headphones. 

Yes I know... why cant sennheiser, audio-technica, AKG and proper headphone companies make headphones that look really nice, like the phiaton ms400? Just because a set of headphones sound amazing doesnt mean it has to look bad :/

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 26
Dec 13, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
The Denon AH-D1001's fit almost all your reqs, but they are out of stock everywhere...

Umm nope, they're in-stock where I live. But I agree, I cant seem to find ANY Klipsch IEM's cos of Christmas...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I thought the D1001s were specifically basshead headphones though?

EDIT: Drat, it's on-ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back