Need some headphone suggestions.
Nov 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

darthdader

New Head-Fier
Hello!  I am kinda new to the whole headphone business and mostly have just been using whatever i find.  I am in need of some headphones that are in the mid 100s range or lower.  I mainly listen to dubstep, drum and bass, house, and hard rock.  I love bass but don't want to overpower everything else.  I also need a portable amp that would be good with the suggested headphones.  My price limit for the amp is about $30 max.  Any suggestions would be nice thanks!  Also the headphones I have been looking at are the Audio-Technica ATH M-50's and I have been looking at the Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier for them, would that be a good combination for me to get, knowing my music preferences?

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi darthdader

The Audio Technica ATH-M50s are a great headphone but I much prefer them for home use, they're a little bulky for me personally. The Sony MDR-V6s are a tad lighter and smaller so I guess you could have a look at those, although their bass is a smidge lighter than the M50s. Philip Cityscapes I've heard are a steal when they are on special. As for the Fiio E6 it is a nice little amp, easy to use and definitely helps with the sound.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Hello darthdader!

Welcome to head-fi :D 

The ATH-M50 don't need an amp to sound anyway better infact, pairing with one won't make much changes to the sound(I never tried them but that's what MOST members here said). If you love tight and controlled bass, you can give the ATH-WS 70s a try or the later version, ATH-WS77. 

Here's a quick impression from me: http://technoheadphone.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 9
Just FYI, the m50 don't really benefit from an amp and only increase volume which it doesn't need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back