Need some closed full size heaphone help
Jun 14, 2014 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lavo-1

New Head-Fier
I currently own Senn HD650's for my Hi-Fi listening and a pair of Beyer DT990Pros 250 ohm (DIY amp) for my PC gaming activities.
Due to complaints from my other half about my late night glass of brandy and music sessions, I am looking to get hold of some new closed back headphone or a new wife, I'm not sure which one would be less hassle!
I'm into most types of music but tend to listen more to Prog rock and Indie music.
I have had a mooch online and can get hold of AKG K550 (£105) or Denon AH-D600 (£170).
Should I be looking at something else or would one of the above suit my needs?
Any help would be appreciated.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 9
NAD Viso HP50 is your best bet. Others could be Focal spirit one, and Shure1540, go to www.innerfidelity.com and read reviews. 
If you need on ear Sennheiser HD25 1 II is great but fit sometimes is a problem, you should find sweet spot.

If you want cheaper go to Audio Technica M50X or M40X

Cheers

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 9
  I currently own Senn HD650's for my Hi-Fi listening and a pair of Beyer DT990Pros 250 ohm (DIY amp) for my PC gaming activities.
Due to complaints from my other half about my late night glass of brandy and music sessions, I am looking to get hold of some new closed back headphone or a new wife, I'm not sure which one would be less hassle!
I'm into most types of music but tend to listen more to Prog rock and Indie music.
I have had a mooch online and can get hold of AKG K550 (£105) or Denon AH-D600 (£170).

I do like the sound of the AKG K550s, it does not have an "in your face" type of sound, so if your looking for more of easy long term listening headphones, with any kind of music. then K550s are a good choice, the 105 GBP seems like a fair price, it's what I paid for my refurbished K550s I bought from Harmon Audio (AKG).
The K550s are 32-Ohm headphones, so more designed to be used with portable audio devices or certain computer sound cards 
Not something you would plug into an A/V receiver or speaker amplifiers (unless they come with a dedicated low impedance head amp.
Your HD650 and DT990 are great for plugging directly into A/V receiver, speaker amplifiers or tube amplifiers.
The K550 would do best plugged into a solid state headphone amplifier with a low output impedance.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 9
The headphones will be going into my Hi-Fi system which has a dedicated headphone amp (Little Dot V) so not too concerned about power, mainly sound quality and comfort.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 9

Some pros for the D600 - completely different character than your current headphones. It has resounding bass abilities. It's quite clear but not bright. It is more comfortable the HD650, and comes with two cables one that is long enough to stretch across a room. I love these headphones, and while not as accurate as the HD650, they excel when listening to ambient, psychedelic rock, electronic music, string sections, games and movies. Plus they do not need an amp, just a clean signal.

Technically, the free edge nano driver is pretty impressive. I haven't had enough experience to compare directly against the hd600, but the D600 sounds more 'modern'. Also, you won't feel like you are losing too much soundstage with D600, it's quite large for a closed can.

You may find yourself listening to different music on these simply because of their tuning and bass reproduction. Late night listening, these are well suited to. After an entire day your ears have some fatigue, and I find the signature of the AH-D600 suited for laid back listening in the evenings.

The y are easily powered by a portable. So you can go anywhere with them and enjoy your music. With their large soft pleather cushions, your other half will not hear a peep.

I'd say they are an excellent buy, you may even find them priced lower.

For a more neutral closed headphone maybe look into the MDR-7520.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 9
  The headphones will be going into my Hi-Fi system which has a dedicated headphone amp (Little Dot V) so not too concerned about power, mainly sound quality and comfort.

The 32-ohm K550 and 25-Ohm AH-D600 may not be the best choice for hooking up to a pure tube amplifier.
a hybrid (tube/solid state) or solid state amplifier, with a really low output impedance, would be better for driving the K550 and AH-D600.

For a closed headphone for use with the Little DOT V, something like the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm would make more sense.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 9
  The Little Dot is a solid state amp not the valve version, but I here what you are saying.

Forgot Little Dot make solid state headphone amplifier, so I guess the K550 and AH-D600 might make good choices after all.
I would guess(?) the AH-600 would be a good choice if your really into bass.
But the K550s lighter bass might help the mids and treble stand out.
(The K550s do off good surround sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back