Need Running Headphones
Jul 30, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #16 of 24
I use Koss ksc 75 clip-ons.

they work great, and sound great.

they might bounce a little while running tho, but they get the job done.  I always run at speed 8

GREAT bang for ur buck at $10 off Amazon.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #18 of 24
LOL. 
Well, that's why I run at 5 a.m.  There is nothing outside making enough noise other than my breathing and feet pounding the concrete, that's loud enough to make me crank up the music! 

It's a trade off.  Get healthy with aerobics but lose your hearing in the process!! 

Quote:
Oh great now Im scared to listen to music when running!

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
It's a trade off.  Get healthy with aerobics but lose your hearing in the process!! 

What?

Sorry... What I meant to say is that this is the reason for increased isolation importance. The less sound comes into the ear past the IEM, the less I have to overcome with increased volume.

shane

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 24
If you want something like the Ipod headphones but they get too loose, check out the yurbuds adapters (find a good running store or order online here - http://www.yurbuds.com/ybcart/get-sized?category_id=0.).  These things are added over the earbud and help keep it in your ear while letting you still hear external noises.  It also helps keep sweat from the speaker and better direct sound (though to be honest all my testing is done while running).

I am a pretty avid runner and I killed a few headphones a year.  I tried the ipod ones, in ears, hooks, around the back, etc - all have had their drawbacks (short life, uncomfortable, fall off, etc.).  I am still getting used to the buds but they seem to work for me pretty well so far and all of the runners I have talked to seem to rave about them.

Sound isn't too bad either (though I would prefer listening to my HE-5LEs).

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #21 of 24
^^x2!!  I actually stumbled on these at Best Buy a few months back and I thought, whatever, just some new fashion craze.  They are probably junk.  I have tried in ears and earbuds but neither of them could hold up through the sweat of a muggy morning run.  They fall out eventually.  The in ears would make it about a mile to a mile and a half and then that was all she wrote.  I tried the other sony over the head workout headphones.  They work just fine but really are of the poorest quality sound I have ever heard.

So then last year I ended up killing my px100.  They worked great.  Stayed in place, but aren't meant to hold up to the constant sweat.  I have been using Sony clip ons for about 6 or 7 months.  They actually work quite well and have not died yet, but the pads are seriously turning to mush.

So about 2 weeks ago I saw the Yurbuds ironman series in Best Buy again and I took the plunge.  They are absolutely fantastic!!  I am sold hook line and sinker.  I run 4 to 5 times a week and for the last 2 weeks i have had them in.  They haven't budged even the tiniest bit.  In fact, the other morning I ran 5 miles and about the last 2 miles it was misting and raining back and forth.  My head may as well have been under the shower.  They still didn't budget at all. 

They give you 2 sizes in the box.  Neither really gives me an exact fit.  So this morning I finally decided to order the customs.  You just take a picture of an ipod earbud in your ear or hold a quarter up to your ear and upload it to their site and then they find the exact size for you.  Now they already have 10 different sizes, so I don't think they are actually custom molding to your ear, but probably just matching your pic with the size that's going to work best.  The small ones I use are a tad too small, but I still have had absolutely no issues with them. 

The sound is far better than I thought it would be.  Pretty big bass considering it's an earbud.  And I am not sure how this works because they are ear canal earbuds, but you can hear everything as if they aren't even in your ear at all.  Quite a cool thing. 

Also, be aware they are VERY loud.  I had to lower my volume by 3 over my sony clip ons.  I might write up a full review on these soon.  I'm really pretty impressed.

Apr 28, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
All I can say is that I use the Portapros for running, I've tried iems but I really need to be able to hear cars/dogs/rattle snakes when I run, and the Portapros allow that.  Also there's a lifetime warranty in case something dumb happens to them, they stay on very securely, and the sound quality is great for the price/application. 

And the foamy temple pads soak up sweat; useful/disgusting.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #23 of 24
y don't u give the koss ksc75ksc75 a try, esp when everyone is talking about the portapro and u like clips?

hope that helps

May 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #24 of 24
So I thought I would give a bit more of a post on the yurbuds after a bit of an extended listen / run.

My set-up is an ipod shuffle, standard ipod buds and the yurbuds.  Distance varies, longest being a marathon.  From the start, getting a good fit on the yurbuds is critical - too tight and they are uncomfortable, too loose and they fall out.  Apparently my ears are smaller than I would have thought - I was a size 6.  To get fit you can go the custom route on their website or you may be able to find a running store that can size you (in houston my local shop had a set up that almost looked like what they use to size a shoe).  They suggested the 6 and I tried one size larger for good measure - the 7 was too tight in my ears so I guess the sizing is pretty accurate.

I went on a quick run to try them out and found a few things - 1) it takes a bit of turning to get them to be comfortable in my ear.  Nothing out of the ordinary here, they are movable around the earbud so it is not a big deal to change up how it sits in your ear.  2)  As nonsupremous said above, sound is better and louder - if you make sure they are on right.  On the first run I had them covering some breather holes on the back of the earbuds which made them sound very tinny and bad.  I just adjusted the yurbuds a bit and then sound improved greatly.  

On the run, the earbuds were securely in place and I could still maintain good sound awareness as I ran (sounds still leaked in - though it will never be as good as being without headphones).  The buds were pretty comfortable, particularly in shorter distances - after a few hours (3+) they got a bit irritating but that happens with pretty much everything I have owned and ran with in the past (I am not sure if this would be fixed based on the custom sizing).  The nice thing as well is that they do not cover my ears keeping head down or go over the top of my head allowing me to wear a hat while I run.

I would definitely give this product a strong recommendation for anyone who likes to run and has an extra $20 (and some apple earbuds) laying around - you can't beat it for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back