Need recommendations for a closed pair of headphones somewhere around 100$?
May 19, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #31 of 33

Quote:
I am in the same situation as you are and here is what I did...

Bought the SRH440 for 70$ + Fiio E5 (bass boost makes them much better) for 20$ + ipod LOD Fiio L1 for 7.50$

Overall, the sound will then be better than the M50, especially out of the ipod Touch, and future headphones will sound better also :wink:

I also bought an ASUS Xonar DS sound card for when I listen on my computer for 30~35$ used, should be around 40-48$ New or something... I'd also suggest this sound card if you game or listen to music on your desktop PC a bit (even if its less than 1/4 of the time, still worth it)

Hope you follow in my footsteps! I would do a review for you, but they aren't here yet, waiting on shipping lol

Cheers and do your research like I did! 
beyersmile.png

Judging by how your post is worded (and previous posts that you've made), I'm guessing that you either don't have the 440/Fiio/LOD setup yet and/or you haven't heard the M50's. With that in mind how can you make statements like "Overall, the sound will then be better than the M50?"

Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning

From reading the first post I gathered that the OP wanted headphones that are fun sounding and enjoyable with the types of music that they listen to (i.e. not studio work). The OP also said that they don't want to use an amp. So there's 2 strikes against the 440. Isolation makes it a third strike, since the OP said it was going to be for indoor/outdoor use.

The 440 just didn't get me moving and grooving like the M50 did. I would tend to over-analyze the music I was listening to with the 440, because of it's clean, analytical sound. It made it more like work to listen to the 440, rather than just enjoy the music.

Regardless, I hope that you enjoy your 440. The combination of the bass-heavy ipod with the E5's bass boost should give you plenty of bass with them...

In regard to the 750DJ's - I haven't heard them, but I've been intrigued by them and have wanted to try them out for some time after reading some reviews on the forums here.

May 19, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #32 of 33
You're right, I should be more careful... I'm still new to this so I can make mistakes, and this one might be one. Thanks for keeping me in check

Though I haven't heard them per say, I have definitively contacted people who have. While I have heard that the M50 are more 'fun' compared to the SRH440, but my sources (friends that introduced me to audio etc) didn't express that there was such a difference, and they do own both the SRH440 and the M50. They were hinting that with the E5, the 'fun' problem was slightly less of a problem and that it brought a nice balance. So the overall better comment was based on 3 of my friends, all of which own or have listened extensively to the M50s and SRH440s, because I had asked them the same question.

I'll also add that, from the same sources, an ipod LOD and E5 combo makes a good amount of difference in sound quality/experience, therefore I still recommend those.

May 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #33 of 33

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to this thread! From lurking around the forums more and doing more and more searches, I think the M50s are the pair of headphones I'll go with.

However, although this is slightly off-topic, I also discovered extremely high praise for the re0 IEMs. I like the idea of IEM and all but I also heard that they cannot produce the same audio quality as full sized headphones. However, if this is not true, I might want to go with the re0 for the pure sake of portability but only if its audio quality is up to par. Does anyone own both and care to comment on how big of a sound difference there is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back