Need recommendations for a closed pair of headphones somewhere around 100$?
May 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

CommonerCoffee

New Head-Fier
Hey, Head-fi.

I'm pretty much lost when it comes to audio and am trying to enter the world of Audiophilia and am looking for a nice pair of headphones to start off with.

Budget: I am really looking to spend around 100 for these but I am willing to push it to 130~ if the difference is that significant.
Style: Looking for only closed headphones here since I will be using this both indoors and outdoors and would not like to bother others with my music.
Genre of music: If anyone could tell from my avatar, I like anime and the majority of my list will consist of Japanese pop. My playlist generally consists of electronica, pop, trance, old school hip hop, and a bit of alternative rock.
Others: I am not interested in an amp so I would like something that sounds great without one.

From what I saw lurking around, the Sennheiser HD280 sounds great for a pair of closed cans, but it also has an underwhelming bass apparently? As a complete audio newbie, I don't know which genres of music emphasize bass so I'm wondering if my genres will be negatively impacted by this.

So to sum it up, please give me any and all recommendations with a brief description and thanks.

May 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 33
I wouldn't recommend the 280s, honestly. They're decent but sound very "boxy" and hollow; probably not what you're looking for.

The Shure SRH440 would probably be a good bet for you: Very balanced sound, solid noise isolation, and just under $100. It should suit you nicely.

If the size of those is too much and if you're looking for more bass in your sound, try the Sennheiser PX-200 II. They're more portable and a little cheaper; and the sound of them may be more suitable for your taste in music.

May 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 33
Audio Technica M50 are a really solid choice for right around $100. The isolation is pretty good, comfort is just fine and the sound is surprisingly good for a $100 closed headphone. Also, the build is pretty solid if that is of any concern to you.

May 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 33
May 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 33
Hm 70$~ to 130$ is quite the large monetary difference. Is the sound quality of the 840 better enough to warrant the extra 60$?

Also, I looked around and saw someone say that the M50 were better for mids while the SRH440 is better for bass.
Looking at my music tastes, which one sounds better for me? Sorry, I'm pretty musically oblivious

May 17, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 33
sorry to jack your thread, but im lookin for almost exactly the same thing as you, and didnt want to add to the hundreds of other recommendation threads out there.

Only differences would be that im looking for both closed or open design headphones and that i listen mainly to Korean pop. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD201s and think they sound great(almost perfect amount of bass for my taste), but the sound gets a little distorted when my music gets busy so im looking for something that sounds similar, but better. Hope you guys can recommend something for me as well. Thanks

May 17, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 33
I personally love my SRH440s.  Grab a pair used off the FS forums for as little as $60.  440 vs 840 is an odd issue.  I personally think you don't gain too much with the 840s. (I only demoed the 840s for 20 minutes, vs my ownership of the 440s, mind you.)

May 17, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 33
Argh so many options. So right now the main contenders look to be the 

SRH440
Audio-Technica ATHM50
PX200-II

Does anyone know which one is best suited for electronica? That's what I mostly listen to anyway.
Here is a song for reference if anyone wants: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sib2L6A6xgw
Sorry if you don't like that type of music. I personally love it and would spend most of my time with my headphones listening to this type of stuff.

May 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 33
M50, seriously. I honestly don't see anything better in their price range. You can't possibly go wrong with the M50s.

Flavor of the month or not, they are EXCEPTIONAL for the price range.

May 17, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 33

Quote:
M50, seriously. I honestly don't see anything better in their price range. You can't possibly go wrong with the M50s.

Flavor of the month or not, they are EXCEPTIONAL for the price range.

x2
Yeah, I can't listen to that sample (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sib2L6A6xgw) at work, but my guess is that it would sound great with these cans... just a guess.
wink_face.gif

They have been a whole lot of fun with just about every type of music. Just plain enjoyable cans.

shane

May 17, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 33
If I hadn't sidegraded to the DT770 Pro 80s, I would've been more than happy keeping the M50s. Even now, I take them from my roomie and just let them rest on my ears, and remember the short but sweet time spent with them. I absolutely love everything about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back