Need recommendations for a closed pair of headphones somewhere around 100$?
May 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #16 of 33
Understood...
Since my new DT770's don't do too well without an amp (600Ω), I've kept the M50's for the more mobile moments.
L3000.gif

May 17, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #18 of 33
I'm talkin' to my buddy, I think he owns the M50s.  I'll try to get a direct comparison up, if he does.

May 17, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
Does anyone have a comparison thing between the ATH-M50 and the SRH440? 
I'm having trouble deciding between the two now

From what I hear as a whole, the M50s are slightly better than the 440s. The 440s being bassier, while the M50s are more balanced. That being said, the M50s are NOT lacking in bass at all. They're potentially bass monsters if you emphasize the low end, be ie EQ, bass boost, etc.

May 17, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 33
I currently own the M50s.  I highly recommend them to anyone who wants a (slightly) cheap portable setup.  They are amazing.  And they do have gallons of bass.  

But as far as I've read, you won't be disappointed in either of them.  Just pull the trigger and be happy.  

May 18, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #21 of 33

Quote:
From what I hear as a whole, the M50s are slightly better than the 440s. The 440s being bassier, while the M50s are more balanced. That being said, the M50s are NOT lacking in bass at all. They're potentially bass monsters if you emphasize the low end, be ie EQ, bass boost, etc.

From what I have read, I always had the impression that the SRH440 was more balanced while the M50 was warmer and bassier.  I have the 440s but havent heard the m50s.  I have also read the SRH440 was the better sounding overall on other forums so I guess it really comes down to personal preference.

May 18, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #22 of 33
Perhaps you're right. It's one or the other, lol. Still, the M50s are pretty balanced, with a slight emphasis on the low and high end.

May 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
CommonerCoffee said:

Does anyone have a comparison thing between the ATH-M50 and the SRH440? 
I'm having trouble deciding between the two now

I've had both and for the types of music that you like I would recommend the M50 over the 440. The M50 is a lot more "fun." It has plenty of bass, and the sound doesn't really seem to change much between sources. They do bass and guitar distortion very well. They have nice mids and highs, and are very smooth.

The 440 is good, but the amount of bass that you get with them will be very dependent on your source. They didn't have a lot of bass running straight out of my Rockboxed Fuze. Using something with bass boost can make them a bit more enjoyable, but their sound is almost kind of clinical and analytical. They are very detailed, but thin. Because of this it is very easy to get the sound output on these to damaging levels without realizing it.

In regard to isolation the M50 provides more isolation, but also clamps tighter on the head. If you have a big head (like I do) then it can feel like a vise is on your head. You can make them more comfortable by stretching out the headband a bit.

The 440's ear pads are not quite as thick and comfortable as the M50's are and the driver housing is closer to the ears - so the driver housings can rub on your ears. The 440 doesn't clamp nearly as tightly as the M50, and if you're moving around a lot they slide around slightly on your head.

Just my .02

May 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #24 of 33
As for the M50 clamp, do this: Grab the cups, and hold them at 11 and 1 o clock as if they were a steering wheel. Hold them like this for like 30 seconds. You will feel the clamp considerably lessen, to uber comfy levels. The band can take that pressure, trust me. Bend them like that. They'll be instantly much better. If they still clamp too much, repeat the process.

May 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #25 of 33
Never had to exercise my M50 headband. Pressure is just right for this pin-head. Guess I've got a relatively narrow head...
bigsmile_face.gif

May 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #26 of 33
Well, I can second that they can clamp pretty forcefully for some. I stretched the band like I mentioned for about 30 seconds, and then they felt like comfy slippers on my head. They still had clamp....just enough for total isolation. I'd give them a 7/10 for comfort pre-stretch, and an 11/10 afterwards.

May 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #27 of 33
I was in the same boat as you and ended up narrowing it down to the M50's cause apparently they are the best pair of closed cans around $100. But after doing more research to see what they were compared up against and seeing what beat them out. I ended up find the Shure SRH750DJ cans. The reviews ive read compared them to the SRH840s and the SRH440s and apparently the SRH750s are better than both and also dont have the exposed wires by the headband and they collapse and have a detachable cable. I hear the SRH750's hits just as hard as the M50's if not harder at times and has a much cleaner sound to the bass. I should be getting mine within a few hours :) i dont have M50's to compare them to though. They are gonna be my first pair of closed cans. They are pretty close to $100 if you look around. I think i got mine for like $120, but I also paid the $20 overnight shipping so I could have them today :)

May 18, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #28 of 33
Thanks a lot for the comparison, 8xOverMsOctober! Sounds like the M50 is superior from the constant praise Mad Lust Envy and the comparison gives it. I think I'm going to go with that pair since it seems like it is superior to the SRH440 for what I listen to. 

However, I am slightly intrigued by these 750s. What exactly does DJ headphones entail and can anyone comment on the 750?

Also, I forgot to mention that these are going to be played out of an iTouch if that matters

May 18, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #29 of 33
I am in the same situation as you are and here is what I did...

Bought the SRH440 for 70$ + Fiio E5 (bass boost makes them much better) for 20$ + ipod LOD Fiio L1 for 7.50$

Overall, the sound will then be better than the M50, especially out of the ipod Touch, and future headphones will sound better also :wink:

I also bought an ASUS Xonar DS sound card for when I listen on my computer for 30~35$ used, should be around 40-48$ New or something... I'd also suggest this sound card if you game or listen to music on your desktop PC a bit (even if its less than 1/4 of the time, still worth it)

Hope you follow in my footsteps! I would do a review for you, but they aren't here yet, waiting on shipping lol

Cheers and do your research like I did! 
beyersmile.png

May 18, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #30 of 33

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the comparison, 8xOverMsOctober! Sounds like the M50 is superior from the constant praise Mad Lust Envy and the comparison gives it. I think I'm going to go with that pair since it seems like it is superior to the SRH440 for what I listen to. 

However, I am slightly intrigued by these 750s. What exactly does DJ headphones entail and can anyone comment on the 750?

Also, I forgot to mention that these are going to be played out of an iTouch if that matters

I got them today and let me say.... wow! They are amazing, I must have had low expectations to closed cans soundstage. I have the AD700 and with them being open the soundstage is awesome, I thought these 750s were going to lack in the soundstage and be superior to the AD700s in sound quality. Well the soundstage on these is actually pretty good so far, even after only listening for maybe an hour. I am going to let these burn in pretty good and then hopefully by then I will also have my PA2v2 to test them in as well. So far I am really impressed with the amount of bass and the quality, FWIR the bass also makes a huge improvement from a nice burn in and amp. I cant imagine how much nicer the bass can get after these are fully burnt in! It already is way better than the minimal bass the AD700s have. The highs are also pretty nice, not too harsh that it hurts your ears, but just enough to let you know that the frequency range on these headphones is more than you can hear. The lows seem very accurate on songs that have very low supporting bass, I was hearing low bass pitches in these that I haven't heard as easily in other headphones. I hear them in my Turbine Golds but they seem to be a little tight and hit a little harder (but they are now farely burnt in). Overall I am really impressed with the well balanced sound quality of these 750s. Also I have been running these out of my iTouch and iPhone the whole time, and they seem to run pretty good. They have a low 32 Ohm Impedance, so they are easy to drive. But once I get my amp I will let you know how they run off that through an iTouch LOD. My amp and LOD setup was only like $68 all together, if you are looking for a cheap little boost like me.

As for the build of these headphones, I would have to say they seem pretty dang solid. They are made out of the same type of plastic that the AD700s are, but it is not too heavy. The only issue I have read about comfort with these is the top headband.

Do you see how it kind of goes straight across the top of the models head? Well thats kind of how they fit if you have bigger head. Some complain of the pressure on top, but for me out of the box they werent too bad. Then i tried just bending the top headband in the middle to make it curve more. And it did start to curve a little bit. FWIR one guy who took them apart said that there is just a metal band there so when you bend it your wont break anything, unless your putting pressure on the plastic somewhere. My head is farely tall but not extremely wide and these are still pretty comfortable so far and I havent even tried bending them much more.
Another thing I like about these is that they dont have the wire exposed on the left and right side like the SRH840s do. But apparently they do share the same earpads and detacable cable. If you like to wear your headphones like a DJ then these ones definitely do the trick too. It is nice being able to just pull up one ear and have the other one tightly comfortable on my head, then my girlfriend can talk to me and i can still enjoy the tunes :)
These seem like they could be good portable headphones too, they are somewhat big. But still compact in style and when you fold them up they fit in the carrying bag very easily with the cable. The cable is coiled too, and from what I read I thought it was going to be wayy longer. It is nice and short when it is coiled up, not too short, but not too long. It stretches nicely and I think I would have a hard time getting it tangled. Now that these have been out for a little bit, there are replacement cables that you can buy if you want a straight one.

Here are some specs on the phones too:
Transducer type
Dynamic neodymium magnet 
Driver size
50 mm 
Sensitivity (1kHz)
106 dB/mW 
Impedance (1kHz)
32 Ω 
Max. input Power
3000 mW 
Frequency range
5 Hz - 30 kHz 
Net weight (without cable)
8 oz. (227 g)
Length of cable
3 meters (9.84 ft) 
Type of cable
Detachable coiled oxygen-free copper 
Plug
Gold-plated 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo mini jack

I think these headphones get overlooked too much :) I did tons of searching on the forums about what pair to get and I was about to get the M50s, but once I saw they were compared with the 750s, by a head-fier that had lots of experience, and won! I started researching the 750s alot more and found tons of amazing reviews.

You can get them for like $135 on amazon, or you can try and hunt around for a cheaper price.

Hope I helped!

PS. I need to put all this in the impression topic of this :wink:

EDIT: I also forgot to put that it says these were designed for DJ Mixing and Monitoring. I can definitely see how these can still be used as monitoring headphones, the separation of the sounds is getting better and better with these. The bass is coming out as well, the highs seem alot brighter now as well. Vocals soundstage location is always very easy to locate for me. Enjoying them alot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back