Need recommendation: MTPG / Westone2 / ER4P / IE7
Jan 16, 2011 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

W1CKED

Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers :)
This is actually my first post here at head-fi, but i do research here for quite a while.

I really need IEMs, I mostly listen while commute with Blackberry curve 8520 (it plays FLAC natively lol) and also iPod.
Good isolation is also nice, because I have to cut out the sound of my annoying roommate 
wink.gif

I don't have any amps or DACs (yet)

I listen to almost all kinds of music from pop, trance/electronic, jazz/classical, rock/metal

What I can afford (brand new) for the moment are MTPG / Westone2 / ER4P / IE7
Please help me choose which one, I really need recommendations from you guys head-fiers.

Thanks for all your replies 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 16
I've only auditioned MTPG and kinda like it, I do auditioned the IE8 and for me the IE8 sounds "unnatural", I like the bass though but its vocals sound synthesized.
I can't find an IE7 to give it a try, can you describe how it sounds?

I do like the analytical sound though, but i actually like my music to sound natural as well. I'm so confused dont know what to choose lol 
etysmile.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 16
Of the four IEMs you listed, I've only owned the W2, but I think you'll like them. They're comfy, provide great isolation, and are nice all-rounders.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 16
I've had the IE7, W2 and the ER4P. The W2 is the one I had the easiest time parting with. Its good but I just didn't find it great in anything. I'm actually selling my second pair of IE7. I loved the first and always regretted selling them. They're just a very competent, fun, nice mids and bass, but still fine treble iem. They're super comfortable and have a great build quality. I'm still contemplating keeping mine because they're just a great pair of solid quality, easy to wear, satisfying earphones with a good soundstage that are forgiving of older recorded material. I actually rebought the IE7 because I wanted to try the ER4P and thought that if the ER4P wouldn't satisfy that the IE7 could be a good back up/second iem. But I just bought a pair of used ER4P and they are really, really good. Their is no genre I've listened to it on that I haven't really enjoyed. In my experience, they are really tonally on. Every instrument sounds distinct, but not just because of instrument separation. Things are really clear and really engaging. I can't wait to listen to them. They are deep insertion so that takes some getting used to. But I've had a bunch of triple drivers and right now, I'm enjoying the ER4P more than I have them. W/ the triple drivers I've heard, they all end up being too flavored. The flavor of the ER4P is the music you're listening to. They really do make you want to listen to lossless files though of really well recorded music. Just my two cents.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 16
I think the MTPG are great and contrary to popular opinion, I don't find them to be too "Bassy". Actually, I was shocked to see how nice and accurate the bass was, and how great the mids and treble are. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
I think the MTPG are great and contrary to popular opinion, I don't find them to be too "Bassy". Actually, I was shocked to see how nice and accurate the bass was, and how great the mids and treble are. 

The mids and treble are very good on the golds i agree .The bass response on the golds vastly changes depending on what tips you are using , they can be bass heavy or very mild or anything in between 

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 16

The mids and treble are very good on the golds i agree .The bass response on the golds vastly changes depending on what tips you are using , they can be bass heavy or very mild or anything in between 

I've already tried the gold with so many tips, all of it's stock tips, UE's single/bi-flange, and also Comply (unfortunately I can't find Sony hybrids) and I really see how could tips change the gold's sound.

---------------------------------

Now, what I have so far is that...

- ER4P sounds clear and engaging, which really got me interested :etysmile:
- W2 also sounds great and comfortable but kinda boring
- I don't like how IE8 sounds at all, so I may not like the IE7 too if it doesn't sound differently.

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 16
So, etys are well detailed but not a well-rounder, right?

btw, thanks for all your replies so far :)
It's time for me to go audition all of them and see which one suits me the best 
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 16
Cool, hope you like them man. But... Well they're great for a lot of genres, mainly ones that focus on detail and accuracy over bass and overall "power" if that helps. I only liked themm for acoustic and classical, vocal/jazz and other bass oriented genres left me wanting more.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 16
Today i've got the chance to try almost all of them out (unfortunately IE7s are not available at where i'm living anymore)

Imo, W2 just having some kind of "Westone sound signature" which i dont really like it at all (this kind of signature sounds much better on UM3X not on W2), it do sounds natural though.

I just blown away by the ER4P, it sounds just right for me and so precise. I found that listening to it was really fun and i dont feel that it was lacking any bass at all, hiphops and bass heavy tracks are still fun to me 

After listening to all of those IEMs i found that MTPGs just has too much of bass into it LOL
For the moment, I would choose ER4Ps as a new IEMs of mine 
etysmile.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 16

Today i've got the chance to try almost all of them out (unfortunately IE7s are not available at where i'm living anymore)

Imo, W2 just having some kind of "Westone sound signature" which i dont really like it at all (this kind of signature sounds much better on UM3X not on W2), it do sounds natural though.

I just blown away by the ER4P, it sounds just right for me and so precise. I found that listening to it was really fun and i dont feel that it was lacking any bass at all, hiphops and bass heavy tracks are still fun to me 

After listening to all of those IEMs i found that MTPGs just has too much of bass into it LOL

For the moment, I would choose ER4Ps as a new IEMs of mine 
etysmile.gif

Well that's great man, im glad you Ike them; I loved mine when I first got them. Oh and be sure to snag a p to s adapter off of eBay for 20 bucks if you want to change it to the S version (provided you have the proper amplification for the IEMs). It really evens things out and makes them a little flatter across the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back