Need recommendation for a new IEM
Mar 25, 2011 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

T78Power

New Head-Fier

Hello Head-Fi,
Ok, so I've been lurking on here for a while now and finally joined!
The bug has bitten me quite hard recently
L3000.gif

I've had some experience with some of the more "mainstream" IEM's before finding this forum.

My first IEM was a Shure E2c, which was good to me for the time being because coming from home audio I didn't see headphones/IEM's as something to spend too much money on. Well as time passed I found myself wanting more and more. The E2c's had a lousy fit and sound quality was just ok..

My second IEM was a Shure E3c. The E3c's were a step up clearer sound, lighter, and smaller so the fit was better also.

Third IEM Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 Pro. At this point I thought i was crazy to spend $250. However that all changed when these came in I was blown away at the sound that came out of these things.

Current IEM is a Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10 with Westone ES cables. I am liking the sound signature of these very much. I think of them as a faster/clearer superfi 5.

I am looking for another IEM that will suit my tastes if you guys could help me.
Based on my past experiences I like Bass and Treble to be boosted a bit. "Vshaped sound signature"
I like the Bass level on the Triplefi's but a little more would be better.
I also love the sparkle/clarity of the treble in the triplefi's. on some songs it becomes fatiguing though :/
also I have had no issues with with the fit of the SF5 / TF10 most likely due to the wire ear loops so those would be a plus.

DAP I've been using is the latest iPod Nano (the square tiny one) with EQ off.
most likely will be purchasing a Cowon J3 tomorrow also.

Music I mostly listen to:
Rock
Techno/Trance
Alternative

IEM's i was thinking about:
UM3X
W3
Turbine Pro Copper/gold

Let me know what you guys think!

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 9
 how about SM3 or CK100

Also New Radius DDM #2  known as HP-TWF21 
based on a recent review on Headfi, W #2 could be an option for you. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545647/review-radius-hp-twf21-aka-w-n-2#post_7355911

I currently only have the DDM (#1) which I still regard as Best value IEM on the market. New revised version DDM2 just came out last week in Japan so more to come stay tuned.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 9
@yello131
that DDM #2 looks very interesting! dual driver dynamic?!
and it looks like it would satisfy my needs as far as sound signature goes.
would you describe your DDM as analytical or a fun sounding IEM?

I don't know if i'm correct but I looked at the CK100 and thought that might be a drop in the bass department.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
@yello131
that DDM #2 looks very interesting! dual driver dynamic?!
and it looks like it would satisfy my needs as far as sound signature goes.
would you describe your DDM as analytical or a fun sounding IEM?

I don't know if i'm correct but I looked at the CK100 and thought that might be a drop in the bass department.

Yes,  DDM #2 are Dual Dynamic Drivers
and No,  DDMs are not analytical at all. They are very fun and warm sounding.
Did you read ijocker's review on DDMs?

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 9
The Cowon J3 would probably improve the sound by a decent amount already.
I think reshelling your TF10 would help? It improves the IEM by alot. Check out reviews.
Instead of constantly changing IEMs, why not stick to one you like and improve it? (changing cables etc)

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:

Yes,  DDM #2 are Dual Dynamic Drivers
and No,  DDMs are not analytical at all. They are very fun and warm sounding.
Did you read ijocker's review on DDMs?

Yes, I read through his review of the DDM's and it looks very promising.
oh and sorry for so many questions but how's the fit? and what size tips does it use?
i'm guessing sony hybrids/ monster supertips all fit?

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
The Cowon J3 would probably improve the sound by a decent amount already.
I think reshelling your TF10 would help? It improves the IEM by alot. Check out reviews.
Instead of constantly changing IEMs, why not stick to one you like and improve it? (changing cables etc)

I just ordered the J3 16GB about 10 min ago :) and the wait begins.... but I did overnight it for 15 bucks... not bad for overnight shipping thanks amazon!
I've given reshelling some serious thought these past couple of weeks but I don't know about going through the audiologist etc. just to put triplefi drivers in there.
I would really love to get my hands on some JH customs (JH16 I believe for bassheads?) if i were  to go that route. I think that would pretty much end my IEM quest but it's $$$$!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back