Need professional help. Which headphones would You suggest? Requirements in thread.
Dec 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

prebuss

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm new in this forum :) I had Pioneer se-mj5, which, sadly, broke 3 times in a tug, so I need new ones and better ones.
So I will tell what I would like:
I would listen electronic music (trance, techno, dnb and so on)- so I need clear and nice bass.
I would listen mainly outside, so I need closed type, right? :)
I would prefer companies like Sennheiser, ATH (Audio-Technica), Pioneer, Sony etc.
I would prefer full-size headphones with, if it's possible, metallic outside, not plastic (I know that there aren't many for such price, but if there are any, please post them)
Price would be 100-140 $ U.S.
I would listen through my laptop or mobile phone (nokia n85)
And the last one. I looked quite nice headphones Sony MDR-XB700, but they are too big, if that would be smaller I would choose them, I reckon.
For now I chose these ones:
1) Sennheiser HD 448
2) Sennheiser HD 555 (yes, it's open, but many say that these ones sound great).
Suggest me models as much as possible, I would be veeerrry thankful, experts =)))

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 37
I'm also pretty new to this, but I hear great things about the ATH-M50's and SRH840 from these forums, and they seem like a great fit for what you're asking. The m50's are ~$160 and the SRH840's are a bit more pricey at around $200.

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 37

Quote:
Hey all, I'm new in this forum :) I had Pioneer se-mj5, which, sadly, broke 3 times in a tug, so I need new ones and better ones.
I would listen electronic music (trance, techno, dnb and so on)- so I need clear and nice bass.
I would prefer companies like Sennheiser, ATH (Audio-Technica), Pioneer, Sony etc.
I would prefer full-size headphones with, if it's possible, metallic outside, not plastic (I know that there aren't many for such price, but if there are any, please post them)
And the last one. I looked quite nice headphones Sony MDR-XB700, but they are too big, if that would be smaller I would choose them, I reckon.
1) Sennheiser HD 448
2) Sennheiser HD 555 (yes, it's open, but many say that these ones sound great).
Suggest me models as much as possible, I would be veeerrry thankful, experts =)))

If you plan to spend more on an amp, then go for vintage orthos.

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 37

Quote:
Quote:
1) Sennheiser HD 448

If you plan to spend more on an amp, then go for vintage orthos.

Don't recommend buying mainstream crap in that price range. But consider the Tf-10 for that price at the moment. Although it's not a full-size headphone, you're getting very impressive sound for cheap.

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 37

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/KOSS-DJ100-Professional-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI

Those have an aluminium back to them, also quiet a few users have been raving about those, I'm sure at least one will give his thoughts if I mention this.
Yeah, I liked these headphones, but... They are not sold in my country.

Quote:
I'm also pretty new to this, but I hear great things about the ATH-M50's and SRH840 from these forums, and they seem like a great fit for what you're asking. The m50's are ~$160 and the SRH840's are a bit more pricey at around $200.

Sadly, I cant afford SRH840, ATH-M50's sold out...

Quote:
Where are you buying from? I'm assuming your not in the us?

Nope, I'm from lithuania (eastern europe)
What do you think, guys, about Sennheiser HD 448? (Despite they are not metallic)
As I read some reviews, they say that disadvatage of HD 448 is unclear bass, which I really need.
P.S. Thanks for fast responding.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 37
Okay, I will rephrase question. Which headphones would you suggest with approx price as hd 448 and better bass playback, clearer bass?
Thank you! :)
P.S. I'm going to buy 2-3 days after this post, so I need fast responding.

Dec 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 37
Check out the Ultrasone HFI 580.  I'm not sure what the price of this is in Lithuania (in the US you can get it for about $140), but from my admittedly limited research, this headphone seems like it would be a good fit.  Hopefully more knowledgeable people come in to help you out soon.

Best of luck!

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 37
I've checked Ultrasone HFI 580, but they are too expensive for me. By the way, I can order from ebay, amazon .co.uk or .de
Any other suggestions? 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 37

Quote:
1) Sennheiser HD 448

If you can chuck for the HD 555s, you can VERY easily mod them to get a sound closer to the HD 595s.  You simply open the cups and pull out some foam tape.  They have the same drivers as the HD 595s.  I still don't think they're really 'outdoors' cans, but it could work.  555s can be had at Amazon for <$100.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #12 of 37
Thanks for replying. Just 2 days ago I had listened hd 555, yes I saw that trick to mod headphones to hd 595 on youtube. BUT the problem is that I would listen mostly outside, noisy environment. Well, dont you think that hd 448 is good decision? 
triportsad.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #13 of 37
Almost all Sennheisers fail at club-type electronica.  Ambient electronica like Brian Eno's Music for Airports are a different matter.
I've been listening to drum and bass, big beat for the past week

Anyway, you will not get the the XB-700 sound from any Sennheisers.  PERIOD.
My HD-595s are going back to Amazon as we speak. 
The popular HD series are all open too, so they are disqualified. 

You said you want full size, closed, but not bigger than XB-700?
It is possible to get slightly smaller than XB-700, but not much. 
Maybe I don't understand what you mean by full size?
You must choose either circumaural (around the ear) or supra-aural (ON the ear).

Generally, supra-aural will be uncomfortable after 30 minutes to one hour.  (Grados, etc.)
Circumaural are more comfortable, but of course are bigger. 
So that's your trade off:  look stupid vs. comfort/less fatigue

Buy 3 cans from Amazon.  Return the two you don't like.  Easy.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #14 of 37
If you liked the MDR-XB700, why not try the XB500?  It is still circumaural but is smaller than the 700.  And from what I've read around here, the 500 lives up to the "extra bass" name at least as well as the 700, and some even prefer it to the 700.  They should be great with the type of music you listen to and will give you full, meaty bass.

If you want more of a monitor-type sound, try the Sony MDR-V6.  It should also be within your budget.

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #15 of 37

Quote:
Almost all Sennheisers fail at club-type electronica.  Ambient electronica like Brian Eno's Music for Airports are a different matter.
I've been listening to drum and bass, big beat for the past week

Anyway, you will not get the the XB-700 sound from any Sennheisers.  PERIOD.
My HD-595s are going back to Amazon as we speak. 
The popular HD series are all open too, so they are disqualified. 

You said you want full size, closed, but not bigger than XB-700?
It is possible to get slightly smaller than XB-700, but not much. 
Maybe I don't understand what you mean by full size?
You must choose either circumaural (around the ear) or supra-aural (ON the ear).

Generally, supra-aural will be uncomfortable after 30 minutes to one hour.  (Grados, etc.)
Circumaural are more comfortable, but of course are bigger. 
So that's your trade off:  look stupid vs. comfort/less fatigue

Buy 3 cans from Amazon.  Return the two you don't like.  Easy.

Thank you for information. Helped me a lot. I would definitely choose comfort/less fatigue cuz I would listen many many hours. 

Quote:
If you liked the MDR-XB700, why not try the XB500?  It is still circumaural but is smaller than the 700.  And from what I've read around here, the 500 lives up to the "extra bass" name at least as well as the 700, and some even prefer it to the 700.  They should be great with the type of music you listen to and will give you full, meaty bass.

If you want more of a monitor-type sound, try the Sony MDR-V6.  It should also be within your budget.

Hmm XB500... Are they really comfortable to wear, for example, 3-4 hours straight? Do they cover whole ears? Won't they make pressure for ears? I would try them out, but they are available only buying online...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back