Need new heaphones!
Nov 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

trt67

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've been using Sennheiser PC350 "gaming" headset for little bit over one year now and i want to buy new and better headphones but i'm not really sure what headphones would be good for me. I play games and listen a lot of music, mostly pop but some other genres as well. I was going to buy Sennheiser HD555 headphones but after trying i decided not do so because bass sounded weaker and not so deep than PC350's for some reason. So is there any good headphones with as good as or better bass PC350 has but also better sound quality? Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (80ohm version)? DT880 250ohm? AKG's or new Sennheiser's? Should i get headphone amp? I would use them on my computer and my budget is around 200 euros. Any recommendations? Thank you! :)

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 15
Are you looking for a pair for gaming/music? 

What about a pair for music strictly? 

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Well i guess headphones made for music strictly will work good enough for gaming as well so lets just say pair for music strictly.

Hmm, it depends. For example if you're into competitive gaming, a bass heavy headphone is not good. 

I forgot to ask, are you looking for open back headphones or closed? i assume bass is a must. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Hmm, it depends. For example if you're into competitive gaming, a bass heavy headphone is not good. 

I forgot to ask, are you looking for open back headphones or closed? i assume bass is a must. 

Yes i am into competitive gaming but i play rts games so it doesn't really matter are headphones bass heavy or not. I'm looking for closed headphones. Btw if headphones are very bass heavy, does it affect a lot to vocals? I listen quite a lot of music with female vocals and im bit scared if DT 770's bass would "ruin" those vocals since those are pretty bass heavy headphones. Have you ever tried DT 770's?

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 15
I know about the AKG line, they do a nice job with female vocals. (the AKG 271MKII) bass response is weak for some people, but after some burn-in they do improve. Having an amp for them is recommended. 
You're right.. some hp's bass drowns out the mids and vocals, my experience with beyer models is limited though. 

Have you checked the Mad lust envy gaming guide

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
I know about the AKG line, they do a nice job with female vocals. (the AKG 271MKII) bass response is weak for some people, but after some burn-in they do improve. Having an amp for them is recommended. 
You're right.. some hp's bass drowns out the mids and vocals, my experience with beyer models is limited though. 

Have you checked the Mad lust envy gaming guide

I have tried my friend's AKG K271 MKII headphones and i didn't really like those. As you said, bass was pretty weak (at least for me) and i found them pretty uncomfortable. I'll check that guide.E

EDIT: Okey, i checked that guide and wasn't really what i was looking for. I don't really care that much how headphones would work for gaming or competitive gaming. Music is much more important for me but thanks anyways. :p

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #9 of 15
Any owners of DT 770 80ohms here who could tell if they work well for different kind of metal music, for example progressive and for pop music with female vocals? Oh man choosing headphones is difficult hah!

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Hello!
I've been using Sennheiser PC350 "gaming" headset for little bit over one year now and i want to buy new and better headphones but i'm not really sure what headphones would be good for me. I play games and listen a lot of music, mostly pop but some other genres as well. I was going to buy Sennheiser HD555 headphones but after trying i decided not do so because bass sounded weaker and not so deep than PC350's for some reason. So is there any good headphones with as good as or better bass PC350 has but also better sound quality? Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (80ohm version)? DT880 250ohm? AKG's or new Sennheiser's? Should i get headphone amp? I would use them on my computer and my budget is around 200 euros. Any recommendations? Thank you! :)

What do you plug your headphones into currently (details)?

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Just into computer. I don't have headphone amp or anything like that. I guess 80ohm DT770's would work without amp? How about 250ohms?

So your using "on-board sound".
The DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm cans (headphones) are nice bassy cans.
But built in sound on the motherboard will not power them to their best
and 250-Ohm cans, no way possible.

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card ($20-$30), might improve the sound of your current PC350 cans (50-Ohm).
The Xonar DG should easily power 80-Ohm cans, but not 250-Ohm cans.

Most headphone amplifiers can power 250-Ohm cans.
Fiio seems to be a popular solid state brand.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
So your using "on-board sound".
The DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm cans (headphones) are nice bassy cans.
But built in sound on the motherboard will not power them to their best
and 250-Ohm cans, no way possible.

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card ($20-$30), might improve the sound of your current PC350 cans (50-Ohm).
The Xonar DG should easily power 80-Ohm cans, but not 250-Ohm cans.

Most headphone amplifiers can power 250-Ohm cans.
Fiio seems to be a popular solid state brand.

So.. is it good idea to just buy FiiO E5, E7 or E11 with the headphones? Or only soundcard with headphones? I see you have 80ohm version of DT770 PRO's, how female vocals sounds with those headphones? Good or.. too dark?

EDIT: What kind of headphone amp 250ohm DT770, DT880 or DT990 needs? Is FiiO enough?

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 15
Tested my DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm with female vocals (Back Street Boys), sounded fine.
And tested with transvestite vocals (Lady GaGa), sounded fine.

A separate headphone amplifier would improve the sound of any headphone over built in sound.
The fiio should have no problem powering 250-Ohm headphones
But that eats up some of the money you would spend for new headphones.
and the PC350 are fairly good headphones.

I would just get the Asus Xonar DG for now, is appears to be rated up to 150-Ohms
kick up the bass with the EQ.
Also the Xonar DG comes with Dolby Headphone, great for DVD movies
But the DG will not power 250-Ohm headphones.

Prices on headphones will drop (hopefully) sometime before Christmas.

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Tested my DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm with female vocals (Back Street Boys), sounded fine.
And tested with transvestite vocals (Lady GaGa), sounded fine.

A separate headphone amplifier would improve the sound of any headphone over built in sound.
The fiio should have no problem powering 250-Ohm headphones
But that eats up some of the money you would spend for new headphones.
and the PC350 are fairly good headphones.

I would just get the Asus Xonar DG for now, is appears to be rated up to 150-Ohms
kick up the bass with the EQ.
Also the Xonar DG comes with Dolby Headphone, great for DVD movies
But the DG will not power 250-Ohm headphones.

Prices on headphones will drop (hopefully) sometime before Christmas.

Haha okey! I think i will buy DT-770 PRO 80ohm and FiiO E5/E6 or sound card.. or maybe even both of those since E5 and that sound card both cost about 20 euros. Thanks so much for your help! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back