Need New Headphones!
May 22, 2010 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for some new headphones and i've been having trouble finding a pair that I like
This is what i'm looking for in the headphones:
- portable
- not too long of a cord
- not too heavy
- around 200 to 300 dollars (its ok if its a bit higher than 300)
- good sound for rock, hip hop, techno, contemporary and classical
- works well with my iPhone 3gs and my PC

i'm pretty noob with headphones so i dont know any fancy terminology with the headphones but i want to invest in a really good one for public and private use. I was considering the Monster beats by dr dre studio ones but i've heard that its not worth the money compared to other headphones so i want to know what other headphones have the cost match the quality. I currently have a few headphones now and they arent as fancy or high end as the one i want to get now so my standards may not be as high hah. I just want to know what are the best and MOST high end headphones out there for around 300 dollars.

I currently have:
- Sennheiser eh 150's
- Tritton AX 51 Pro (for gaming)
- Sony MDR NC50

I've also looked at the SRH440, SRH84, Sennheiser HD 555

Thanks!

May 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 44
The Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs have gotten very good reviews. People claim they're quite portable as well, although personally the lack of any folding mechanism is off-putting to me. As an owner of the SRH440s, I can say Shure's SRH series are very good headphones, but they're quite heavy so don't bother with them. Other tried-and-true portables are the audio-technica ESW9s, but they probably aren't rock or techno headphones. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find headphones that sound good with all the genres you listed.

You could also look into IEMs (In-Ear Monitors). They're like earbuds, but they go in your ear canal instead. There are a lot of models, and for $300 you could get a truly amazing pair without the need for an amp.

May 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 44
Thanks for the quick response. Ya the lack of a folding mechanism is a turn off for me too. The reason i considered the Monster beats studio was because it had a folding mechanism, a nice case, an adapter, an iphone mic cable and the comfortability of the cups. Are the SRH44's significanlty heavy? cus i'm using the sony's now and they are pretty heavyish.

I'm not a big fan of IEMs cus ive had bad experiences with them. I find they quite uncomfortable sometimes and sometimes u gotta angle it right for it to hear it the best. Do u know any headphones similar to the Dr Dre beats in terms of weight and quality but cheaper or around that price range but much better?

May 22, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 44
What about koss portapros?  They are not the best looking phones(although some people may be into the retro look), but they surprisingly put out very controlled sound.  They sound great for portable use and very compact, and you can fold them, and tuck them in somewhere.  Check them out, I thought they were great phones for the price. 

May 22, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 44

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. Ya the lack of a folding mechanism is a turn off for me too. The reason i considered the Monster beats studio was because it had a folding mechanism, a nice case, an adapter, an iphone mic cable and the comfortability of the cups. Are the SRH44's significanlty heavy? cus i'm using the sony's now and they are pretty heavyish.

I'm not a big fan of IEMs cus ive had bad experiences with them. I find they quite uncomfortable sometimes and sometimes u gotta angle it right for it to hear it the best. Do u know any headphones similar to the Dr Dre beats in terms of weight and quality but cheaper or around that price range but much better?

Take a look at the Phiaton MS400....It fit's what you're looking for perfect, about 239 at amazon.

May 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:
Take a look at the Phiaton MS400....It fit's what you're looking for perfect, about 239 at amazon.

Or $99 on Headroom for a B-Stock set. Great deal if you ask me. 

May 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 44
May 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 44
the phiaton looks sick
ok ive been thinkin..
which one's better:
- phiaton ms400
- shure SRH840
- monster beats studio
- shure SRH440

May 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 44
I'd advise you to pounce on the MS400s before someone else buys them. Here's the B-stock webpage, by the way. I was actually thinking of getting them when I saw the price, but I'm bone broke after getting an amp and DAC - on that note, an iPhone won't drive the SRH440s to their best potential anyways and the heavy phone cable is annoying. The MS400s were designed for portable use.

Oh, and hopefully you can write what you think about the MS400s. There's actually a Phiaton-sponsored review contest on for an iPod dock right now. I guess they're aware that there aren't many reviews themselves.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi. We've already put a hit on your wallet.

May 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 44
Thanks! hah so no one is recommeding the monster beats? well i'll take a look at the phiatons. they look really nice. i wish i could try em cus headphones are the kind of things that u need to try hands on. and the problem is that i live in canada and the shippin for the b-stock ones may be hefty.
but i want to know what you headphone experts really think about the monster beats. i'm no expert so i have no idea how much potential a REAL $400 headphone could have. Like what r the pros and cons of it? cus i've been really thinkin hard bout this cus it is a large sum of money so i'm not willing to give up 4 bills for something i mite not like..

any advice would be awesome!

May 23, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 44

Quote:
Thanks! hah so no one is recommeding the monster beats? well i'll take a look at the phiatons. they look really nice. i wish i could try em cus headphones are the kind of things that u need to try hands on. and the problem is that i live in canada and the shippin for the b-stock ones may be hefty.
but i want to know what you headphone experts really think about the monster beats. i'm no expert so i have no idea how much potential a REAL $400 headphone could have. Like what r the pros and cons of it? cus i've been really thinkin hard bout this cus it is a large sum of money so i'm not willing to give up 4 bills for something i mite not like..

any advice would be awesome!

I e-mailed HeadRoom's sales department once about a B-stock I was interested in. They told me shipping to Canada would cost $30, but a total of $129 is still a far cry from the MS 400s' $249 MSRP, or any discounted pricing. HeadRoom is an official Phiaton reseller, so they should honour your warranty. From personal experience, their customer service is very friendly and responsive.

From my kiosk brushes with the Beats Studios, they're good, full stop. The bass-heavy sound wins over a lot of regular consumers (and Bose knows this; people like bass), but there's a lot to be desired for $399. Oh, and you need batteries to use them. There's no sound when the noise cancelling's off. Perhaps someone with more experience with them can contribute their thoughts.

May 23, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 44
I totally would have went for that if it wasn't for the fact that it would become a large dust collecting magnet since I don't use headphones as it doesn't suit my lifestyle. I've never heard it but it sounds like a good deal.

May 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #15 of 44
The Phiaton's are pretty appealing. so i went to my local futureshop today and checked out some headphones. I ran into the bose qc2 (i think). They had pretty awesome noise reduction and sharp audio and i loved the soft cups and how it perfectly enclosed my ear. How does this compare to the Beats and Phiatons in the aspects i mentioned? (from best to worst)
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back