Need more bass with m50s!!!
Nov 30, 2010 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jetblk328i

Head-Fier
Hey guys I recently purchased a set of m50s. While the bass was really good, I am starting to feel that it is less impactful and punchy as before. Coming from sennheiser cx300ii, i think that I have a good idea on the bass I am lookin for.

Unfortunately, after about 4 days of not using them , my m50s are starting to sound anemic bass wise. Is it just the burn in process? I have read a lot of posts about how the bass actually decreases after the burn in. I'm pretty worried about this as I am not enjoying these as much as when I just got them.

Please advise. Do I need more burn in time? Maybe a fiio e5? Or maybe I really just need to buckle down and buy me some beats by dr dres...

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 24
Haha, I feel you. My M50's bass lessened after burn in. It's scary at first, but after you get over the shock you'll find it to be not that bad. The bass gets very clean so that's a plus. And it the headphones still sound very good overall. But I'm with you on wanting more bass. I was thinking about getting the fiio E5 for its bass boost feature. Search the forums for some good bass boosting amps. That might do the trick.  I'm looking to get a cMoy BB sometime.

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 24
What is your source? An amplifier (E5 isn't going to cut it) will help not just in the bass department but the overall sound of the M50. Burn in is not as immediate and noticeable as many people make it out to be; there are many that don't believe there is any change at all. Regardless of burn in; it is very possible you are simply getting used to the sound signature of your headphones.

If you are considering an amp/DAC, the E7 is perfect for both portable and home use. It has a hardware bass boost EQ that many people love and sounds superior to software EQ's in media players. Also, it leaves room for upgradability to the E9 which combines with the E7, for when you are ready for higher end headphones.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 24
Yeah, these 'break-in', and most have put the optimum time of noting the effects somewhere between 25 and 50 hours.
The bass does 'decrease' slightly, but mostly it tightens up and becomes less 'flabby' (something my D5k's refused to do!).
Amping certainly can add weight to the sound, but it's doubtful that even with amping you'll get the bass you first experienced (or desire). Yes, as Riku stated, this may partly be your ears acclimating to the sound, it may be that the break-in has been particularly obvious in your cans, or a combo of both (most likely).

All parts of the source chain, from files, DAC, amp, etc. effect the output, so look at each for possible 'corrections'. Or just learn to love the excellent sound...
wink_face.gif

Short of that... maybe you would prefer the D2000's or DT990.

Good luck.

shane

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 24
Thanks for the responses,

Yea while i appreciate some good clarity in sound, sometimes the inner basshead just runs loose lol. 
basshead.gif

I know my post count is low, is there a post minimum to post on the classifieds? I might have to sell these and buy something else.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 24
I'm having trouble feeding my inner basshead too. Search around for basshead cans before you sell your M50's. I'm having a hard time finding one. That's why I'm looking to get an amp with a bass boost. It seems like the D1100's are being recommended for bass more recently. Even over the dt770 and ultrasones, which FWIR are supposed to have huge bass. I'm listening to them right now, and the bass is not huge IMO. The bass is loud yes, but it's not as clean or deep as the M50's. They're definitely good cans, but a basshead might want more.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:

I know my post count is low, is there a post minimum to post on the classifieds? I might have to sell these and buy something else.

I think you need 15 posts...but im not sure. 
You can read the Faqs at the F/s forum. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 24
The E7 is a no brainer imo as it will provide an upgrade to your current setup in many areas for little cost. Firstly it pairs very well with the M50 and as previously stated it has a well implemented bass boost feature. Although I never use this feature as a matter of preference, the highest level of boost provides the best bass enhanced SQ with little distortion and muddiness. If this doesn't satisfy your basshead cravings, you may want to look at ways of strapping subwoofers to your head instead.

The main benefit of the E7 though will be its use as a usb dac instead of the macbook's onboard sound... the difference should be apparent. Also, if you decide to upgrade down the track you can match it with the E9. The M50 and E7 should be bundled imo as a gateway into head-fi.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 24
The only mod regarding bass that I've read about for the M50 was the "balance mod". I've done a lot of headphone modding. You might get the bass back that you had before with modding. But it would be a trial and error effort - with no guarantee of success. I don't suggest attempting any irreversible mods with your M50.

If you do end up buying other headphones like the D2000 or DT770/80, you should also want to buy additional amplification or a better source / amp like a DAC / amp. 

Quote:
Also, I was reading about the m50 balance mod...Did anybody ever try removing the tape on the other side to get some additional bass?
basshead.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 24
Upgrade to Shure 750dj's. 
beyersmile.png
 Tons of bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back