Need IEM suggestion for DEATHMETAL
Sep 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Evilcalyptic

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I have been looking for a relentless, fast, brutal IEM for listening to things such as death metal and speed metal. I currently own quite a lot of iems and 4 or 5 flagships. however none of them suite my taste. I have been told the JH16 pro is a good choice for my music taste however I'm not ready to shell out 1000+ dollars yet. 

any suggestions on universal IEMs from the board would be wonderful. i have a lot of testing to do.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 16
What IEMs have you tried? I've heard great things about the tf10's for metal, also good things with the gr07's for rock and metal as well, perhaps look into those on the site. I can't comment either way though because I've yet to try them, but hope too soon.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 16
Not to take this off topic, but why IEM's specifically? Given what you already have and tried, they may just not be suited to the sound you seem to want...

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 16
TF10 or ER-4 shine with metal, although I would recommend the ER-4S and an amp for best results. Westone 3 might be good for metal as well (the UM3X, however, is not). Now if there was a Grado SR-60 in IEM form, you would be set 
etysmile.gif

Edit: I see you own a Fiio e6. That will drive the ER-4S nicely. If you were looking to upgrade your amp, the E11 works well with the ER-4 too.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 16
I have a couple of Sony IEM (the cheap kind) that kicks my $40 more expensive Beyerdynamics ass when it comes to rock and metal. I actually use the Sony's more than my Beyerdynamic now.
I don't know if it follows through the way up in price though, if you want something more expensive.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 16
I listen to death metal too and I'm enjoying my Shure SE215s. The mids are nice and forward while the bass is tight and punchy. They can handle complex passages pretty well too. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 16
Doom/Death/Black is my game...

GR07 or HF5 or Q-jays would be some of my picks..

Please leave out the TF10, it has a horrible fit, tho not a bad sounding iem, Westone 3 is around the same in soundsig but a better fit..

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 16
I actually just got some ER-4S, so im gonna test those and see what i think. The IE8 kills me when trying to listen to anything fast and heavy with a lot of drum traffic due to its mid-bass hump.

are the HF5 and ER-4 simmilar?

and the SE215... hmmm i own the 535 but there too friggin soft.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 16
If you're interested in speed, go with BA armatures. If you're interested in Bass impact, go with dynamic drivers.
I just recently blasted Machine Head's Unto the Locust through the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pro, Westone 4 and JVC HA-FX700.

Personally, as I used to go to a lot of concerts, I think the FX700 performed best and was just the most intense experience. The soundstage has by far the greatest depth and it's like standing in the first line with two huge towers on each side. You can feel the ground rumble without losing any detail.

The Westone 4 is great to find even the smallest details in a song. It's a very relaxed presentation without feeling slow.

The TF10 blasted very aggressively. The bass is very precise and fast, yet the overall presentation is more analytical than musical.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I also listened to the album on the SE535. It does not work for Metal at all. The SE535 is really really great for voices and precision of instruments. It gets great emotions out of the mids, but the low end is too thin to create any atmosphere. Highs can also be fatiguing after a while, but most Metal albums don't have many highs anyway (cymbals and hi-hats are recorded darker than usual).

The SE215 fits better because of the warm and dark sound. It's still very soft and more relaxed than I want it to be for this kind of music.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I actually just got some ER-4S, so im gonna test those and see what i think. The IE8 kills me when trying to listen to anything fast and heavy with a lot of drum traffic due to its mid-bass hump.

are the HF5 and ER-4 simmilar?

The HF5 is inferior to the ER4S, but 4S needs a amp to shine, ER4P and HF5 "dosnt"...

The Ety's dosnt give u a thump as such in the midbass, but it has no problem separating bass and kick drums..

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 16
Yes, we know. That's what you said. Why don't give those a try that were mentioned before?

I also heard the JH-5 and all I can say is that I don't like the JH Audio signature. It's artificially dirty yet clean and precise. Makes no sense and keeps me from enjoying any genre.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Iv heard my best option is the JH16, but i dont wanna shell for it yet.

How about Unique Melody Mage or Miracle the neutral brothers,  or Merlin the more "bass" orientated because of a Dynamic bass driver..

http://www.ampcity.co.uk/brands/unique-melody.html/

But u cant go on buying so many expensive iems, better calm down from now on and save up for the ones u really want...

IE8 and SE535 are not cheap, nor is the ER4S, your wallet must be in agony if your still not satisfied...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back