Need help with choosing the right Cans :)
Jun 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

1nvad3r

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone new to  the forums and just entering the expensive world of audiophiles equipments. Been reading about full sized Headphones and i need recommendation on a good set of Headphones. My budget is 300 to 500 max, I mainly listen to alternative rock /metal .I am looking for something that i can pair up with Sflo2 that i received as gift. Also upgrading my PC with the Asus Xonar stx as looks like its a popular choice for a lot of people here. Would be using it alot traveling in city trains,bus. Any help narrowing my choices is greatly appreciated .

thanks

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Here are some suggestions for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic T50p, DT1350

Denon AH-D1100

Shure SRH940

Ultrasone HFi-780

All of these options should run well from your Sflo2 and Zonar, plus they work well as portable outdoor headphones.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Here are some suggestion for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Denon AH-D1100

Shure SRH940

Ultrasone HFi-780

All of these options should run well from your Sflo2 and Zonar, plus they work well as portable outdoor headphones.

M50's are best for you OP, I don't want to confuse you

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 12
I'd go with Denon AH-D1100 if portability and comfort are an important issue for you.

They also go well with the genres you mentioned.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 12
I really wonder why everyone defaults to the M50's as the best starter headphones... I feel like there are often better options especially if the OP (like he stated) will be traveling frequently.  

$300-$500 max will get you a good set of cans for the road, no doubt.  I think people need to step up their recommendations a little bit.  I see you got an integrated sound card (meh... not my recommendation but your choice!) so you won't need to run an external (and maybe better sounding) DAC and amp.

In the price range you're looking at, a good foldable set of cans that are closed with good SQ might be the:

Beyerdynamic T50p or Sennheiser HD-25 II.   

Check out those two.

EDIT:  I realize both of these headphones are "earpad" headphones and NOT fullsized headphones.  You should greatly reconsider wanting fullsized headphones for the read.  I made that mistake once and won't do it again.  Honestly, IEM's are the best for the road.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
Here are some suggestion for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Denon AH-D1100

Shure SRH940

Ultrasone HFi-780

M50's are best for you OP, I don't want to confuse you

Oh - thanks for that BotByte.  How many of these have you heard - and please explain the differences between each for the OP .... (rolls eyes)

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 12
Second the HD-25's for your genres (as long as you don't mind it being supra-aural) . Also do a search on the DT1350's. They just came out and are supposed to sound exceptional. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm familair with both the SRH940 & the HD-25.....
both are fantastic as I'm sure you've read on here. The HD25's are definitely more portable than the srh940. On the HD25SP II, I know the earpads rotate so they can lay flat while hanging aroudn your neck. That;s a pro for me, that the SRH940s dont have :frowning2:
The HD25-1 II has a better freq range than the HD25SP II and I don't believe you can spin earpads to lay flat. Both sound real nice to me and are definitely nice and portable. For under $200, price isn't bad either. Neither sound as nice to me as the SRH940, but I'd prob use the HD25 more often in the commuting situation

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 12
These headphones are great for portable and home use Ultrasone Pro 900, Sony Z1000, ATH-ES10, ESW10, W5000 and FA-003. I will recommend the AMPs for portable use with S;Flo 2 like E11..

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 12
BotByte, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I see you in EVERY SINGLE thread, recommending some headphone with little to no explanation, comparisons, or evidence that you have actually heard all the various things you recommend. Please at least have a civilized and educated discussion with the other members, because right now you look like a troll trying to gain post count.

As to the OP: Unfortunately I don't have much experience with portable headphones, but if you are wanting a set just for home use, Grado's do well with rock, and so do the hd600's in my humble opinion. Best of luck, do lots of research, don't take anyones word.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Second the HD-25's for your genres (as long as you don't mind it being supra-aural) . Also do a search on the DT1350's. They just came out and are supposed to sound exceptional. 

I fourth this.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the reply guys/gals. I have narrowed down my choices seems like i gotta try a few to hear which sounds good to me lol sucks for my wallet. Here are my two picks for my first purchase  Denon AH1100, ATH A900 . Those two looks like good choices to start off with based on SQ, style/comfort im looking for but leaning towards more to the ATH A900 as im a fan of Japanese made products because of workmanship and quality components they use. As portability I don't mind carrying it around since i always carry a backpack to work. Again thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back