[Need help] UE 18 pro vs UERM
Nov 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

king8888

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just got a news that UE is gonna to give a 20% discount next week so I consider to take a hit on UE. I'm interested in both UERM and UE18. Which one is better for pop or modern music, sometimes EDM?

I owned JH16, Heir Audio 8A and UM Merlin. So I want to put a trigger n UE.

My portable set up will be Sony Z1050 + Arrow 4G, sometimes with my Note 2 or Clip zip. Or my desktop set up is Dac magic plus + violectric v200. But I'm primarily on the go.

Thanks for your helps.

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 15
I heard neither ciems, but based on what you owned previously, you like more fun and bassy ciems. If you want to go towards a more neutral sig, go for the uerm, a great all rounder from what I have heard. But if you want to keep a bit of boost in the bass, go for another brand...maybe JH Roxanne? They will be discounted too.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 15
The UE18 will be more of the same: U-shaped with warm, laid back mids. The UERM will be very different from what you're used to. So it depends on whether or not you want something different, or more of the same. Otherwise, Mimouille made a good suggestion about the Roxanne; it'll adjust between bass neutral and bass heavy.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 15
I heard neither ciems, but based on what you owned previously, you like more fun and bassy ciems. If you want to go towards a more neutral sig, go for the uerm, a great all rounder from what I have heard. But if you want to keep a bit of boost in the bass, go for another brand...maybe JH Roxanne? They will be discounted too.

The UE18 will be more of the same: U-shaped with warm, laid back mids. The UERM will be very different from what you're used to. So it depends on whether or not you want something different, or more of the same. Otherwise, Mimouille made a good suggestion about the Roxanne; it'll adjust between bass neutral and bass heavy.

It is true that I like bassy or a more V shape CIEM. I barely see UE offer a discount so I want to a take hit on UE. I have read many review about UERM but not many on UE18, I really want to hear the demo first since UERM's treble might be to harsh for me and the UE18's treble is rolled off (based on what I read).

BTW, I already order a Roxanne already but it is an universal model. Mine will arrive this December.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 15
I'd actually recommend the UE11 over the UE18. The UE18 is not a great success as a model, IMHO. It's even difficult to construct, as it uses a concentric triple bore, but the sound really isn't up to stuff. They were going for a big laid back soundstage, but it doing so, they sort of forgot about the rest. Bass feels loose and the mids just don't sound clear enough. The treble is, as you suspect a little laid-back, but there is enough gentle sparkle here and there. If you're keyed into getting a UE model that has that U/V-shaped response, my personal recommendation is the UE11. The UE7 is way too loud and harsh, while the UE5 is a middle ground. The UE4, on the other hand, is quite good. Of course, my pick of the litter is the UERM. I played with the PRM unit, and personally it was underwhelming, much like the UE18.

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 15
  I'd actually recommend the UE11 over the UE18. The UE18 is not a great success as a model, IMHO. It's even difficult to construct, as it uses a concentric triple bore, but the sound really isn't up to stuff. They were going for a big laid back soundstage, but it doing so, they sort of forgot about the rest. Bass feels loose and the mids just don't sound clear enough. The treble is, as you suspect a little laid-back, but there is enough gentle sparkle here and there. If you're keyed into getting a UE model that has that U/V-shaped response, my personal recommendation is the UE11. The UE7 is way too loud and harsh, while the UE5 is a middle ground. The UE4, on the other hand, is quite good. Of course, my pick of the litter is the UERM. I played with the PRM unit, and personally it was underwhelming, much like the UE18.

Thanks, I have consider the UE11 too, it's bass is quite powerful.

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 15
UE18 is designed for stage use in mind I believe. The UERM is designed for monitoring. The UERM's harsh treble can be easily tuned down with good source and amp matching. The highs of the UERM  is also rolled off slightly I think.  I tried the demos and picked UERM. For your past customs, I think you'll feel that the UERM lack a lot of bass.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 15
  UE18 is designed for stage use in mind I believe. The UERM is designed for monitoring. The UERM's harsh treble can be easily tuned down with good source and amp matching. The highs of the UERM  is also rolled off slightly I think.  I tried the demos and picked UERM. For your past customs, I think you'll feel that the UERM lack a lot of bass.

wow, that's cool. I have been reading lots of UERM review. Do you think using a copper cable can enhance the bass?

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 15
I did use a thick copper cable, but the bass only got tighter (lower resistance?). So I can't really help you there. I think trying a thin copper cable should help slow the sound down.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 15

+1. I would also go for JH Roxanne. They will  also offer  the universal model soon, which is big plus to me. Since  ear impression process is big hassle to me.  (I heard neither, i had only UM Miracle)

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 15
My UERM was always treble-forward (compared to bass and mids) and sometimes quite harsh, as Average Joe described. Unless you're a treblehead, I'd pick another model. Does it have to be a UE model? Because there are other interesting ciems like the NT-6 Pro or LS-8 for your V-shaped preference, too!

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 15
  I did use a thick copper cable, but the bass only got tighter (lower resistance?). So I can't really help you there. I think trying a thin copper cable should help slow the sound down.

Thanks for the tips. If I buy the UERM, I will definitely try out the copper cable.

+1. I would also go for JH Roxanne. They will  also offer  the universal model soon, which is big plus to me. Since  ear impression process is big hassle to me.  (I heard neither, i had only UM Miracle)

I already ordered a Roxanne universal model. It will arrive this early December.

My UERM was always treble-forward (compared to bass and mids) and sometimes quite harsh, as Average Joe described. Unless you're a treblehead, I'd pick another model. Does it have to be a UE model? Because there are other interesting ciems like the NT-6 Pro or LS-8 for your V-shaped preference, too!

Well, since UE is offering a 20% promo, I barely see this, maybe the 1st time. I never try any UE customs, so I want to give it a try. I'm also considering the Noble K10 since Noble offer 20% promo too.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 15

Interesting, for me the mids are very "in your face", and it sounds more mid forward rather than treble forward.

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Joker's impressions of the universal UERM can be found with the link below. Note he compares to several other products including the new Noble 4C.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672716/the-999-vs-99-challenge-tour/360#post_9995256

Users who are viewing this thread

Back