Need help to find my path - hd650/600 vs K7xx vs Fidelio x2 vs Ath-Msr7 ?
Jan 30, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #31 of 43
I personally would say of the ones I heard (600,650, K712, X2), the 600 is best with female vocals.  But again its largely preference.   The 600 is pretty flat through the mid to upper-mid range, giving female vocals a natural sound and good presence.   The 650 has less presence for female vocals, the X2 even a little less.  To me the K7xx is the worst, making female voclas far too sibilant.  But again, I have used mainly JDS labs O2 amp, so this is just my opinion, with my gear.  AT phones, though, are usually extremely good with female vocals, but I haven't heard the model you mention.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #32 of 43
Just bought the K612 Pro, because I was curious of how the AKG-sound has developed during all those years. My HiFi-awareness grew up with the mighty "sextetts" which is plenty of nostalgia, but the last AKG can I owned was the K240 Monitor at the end of the eighties. At that time it was beat on all parameters by the Nakamichi cans I switched to back then(the Nakamichis had terrible durability though).

However, the K612 sounds "good", and has an interesting sound, but there's no need to listen for very long to realize that HD600 are much, much better for just enjoying music. On a totally another level of "alive". But the AKG:s looks very nice, and they are not bad by any means except one needs a powerful HP-amp to drive them  :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #33 of 43
**** why is it so hard to decide which one to get =(
deadhorse.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #34 of 43
I'm no audiophile, but my (adult) son and I agree the best-sounding combo I own is the HD600 + Bottlehead Crack. I just got the K7xx, and it seems to sound better with the Asgard 2.

For a one-shot, my recommendation would be HD600 and Bottlehead Crack.

Good luck, and have fun choosing!

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #36 of 43
The ATH-MSR7 are excellent. Subjectively they've beaten a number of headphone for me. SRH1540, m70x, B&W-p7, x2, and even the PM3. Objectively, the measurements over at inner fidelity are extremely impressive: clean square waves and impulse response, very low distortion across the board, ect.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #37 of 43
  The ATH-MSR7 are excellent. Subjectively they've beaten a number of headphone for me. SRH1540, m70x, B&W-p7, x2, and even the PM3. Objectively, the measurements over at inner fidelity are extremely impressive: clean square waves and impulse response, very low distortion across the board, ect.

is there any headphone better than the k7xx for competitive and immersive gaming? I dont know when the next massdrop will be :frowning2: anyone have any good guesses as to when the next drop will be?

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #39 of 43
  is there any headphone better than the k7xx for competitive and immersive gaming? I dont know when the next massdrop will be :frowning2: anyone have any good guesses as to when the next drop will be?

Seeing as how this drop just ended, the next one won't be for a very long time.  You can always get the AKG Q701 which is probably extremely similar, and with K712 pads it's apparently the same thing as the K7xx.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/752994/my-akg-comparison-k7xx-k712-65th-annies-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #40 of 43
Dac : Sony PHA-3
Amp: Garage 1217 Project Ember
Tube: Russian 6H2N-EB
Headphones: AKG 7XX vs HD600

Can't speak for the others, don't own them. 

The AKG has a wider soundstage. It has a bit better bass response. 

I prefer the HD600 even tho it's closer in. It has better mids and highs.
There is something magical about the 600's presentation, to me, on music that is vocal oriented. 

The AKG is a bit more comfortable, but the build might not last as long, it's not using as nice plastic. 

The 600 Has a strong clamp. Strongest out of any headphone I have. It's plastic is hard and could break if you were to bend the headband, that much is obvious, while the 7xx has more plasticity. 

Both of these headphones are nice.

Just my 2 cents

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #41 of 43

The 7xx has matched drivers and is a low cost version of the 65th Anniversary K702. It'd doesn't sound exactly like the Q series. 

I find it a comfortable headphone with a very wide soundstage for it's price and very pleasant overall. It is not as good in the detail department as some of my higher end cans. But all the headphones I have have very different presentations, so for you, you might enjoy it, especially if you've never been exposed to stuff like the 600/650, 700, 800, LCD-2/3, etc etc. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #42 of 43
I agree with @tradyblix
The AKG 7xx sounds good with nearly everything.  You need a relatively beefy amp though.  Though driving it out of a powered portable dac can work in a pinch.
There's great synergy with my Cayin C5 and I've just got a used JDS Labs 02 amp and it sounds good with that also!

Tubes are best though, in my opinion.

The 7xx is warm, detailed and has good bass impact.  Not to mention truly comfortable.
I have a hifiman 400s (which I do prefer slightly) but I love my k7xx 
so much so that i got a red one.  Might sell my all black one...

Hope that helps! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back