Need help selecting portable headphones with a budget of around $400 US
May 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cmdrdredd

New Head-Fier
Hi all, long time lurker and first time poster. I've been researching headphones for portable use lately. I've decided that I simply need help. 

I listen to a lot of hard rock, metal, classic rock, & some dubstep. Normally this is from a Samsung Galaxy S3 modded with AC!D audio engine (includes Sony Clearaudio+, a DSP with equalizer, Dolby Headphone support, Beats Audio Engine etc). Usually unamplified but I have considered the fact that good headphones benefit most from an amp. I am prepared for that too in my future. I will also use these for playing a Vita or 3DS but that doesn't require audiophile equipment in the least.

What I have currently are the following. Sony MDR-7506 studio monitors. They are clear, but being old the padding is pretty broke down and no longer have any comfort. The coiled cable is terrible for on the go as well IMO. I don't necessarily think they are bad, but they could use a little more bass and they generally sound pretty flat which I guess is what they are supposed to be? I also have some Sennheiser PC 360s which I understand is similar in sound to the HD598s from my reading on here? I like these quite a bit but they are not portable and not made for it. Primarily these are used for gaming on my PC, but I have listened to them with Music and appreciate the sound stage and the added bass over the Sony 7506s. I also have some Klipsch S4 IEMs which honestly I don't like. They aren't "bad" they just don't seem to have much life to them. The bass is good, the mids are good, the highs are so-so and together it just doesn't sound as clean as the Senns that I have. I am not totally sold on IEMs, I actually prefer on/over the ear. It doesn't have to be something you can fit in your picket either, I have a backpack with me that I can tuck them away. About the only headphones I outright hate are Beats. Other than that I'm pretty open. I've heard good things about the Yamaha Pro 500(don't know how portable these really are), Sennheiser Amperior (being discontinued), Sennheiser Momentum (Amperior have more bass I understand), Sony MDR-1R(again not sure how portable these really are).

Basically I need/want something that is good for various rock music, portable enough to be tucked inside a backpack (folding up would possibly be a plus), decent bass but not Beats like, decent soundstage, clear sound (not muddy), doesn't leak too much, are pretty comfortable (subjective), and under the $400 US mark. I am not brand loyal. I appreciate how my Sennheiser PC360s sound, I appreciate the build quality of my Sony MDR 7506s. I understand the specs, but I also know that impedance doesn't tell all and a lot of good headphones will have a larger frequency range than I might be able to pick up. So simply looking at specs tells me nothing as to how they sound. 

Does anyone use something like the Yamaha Pro 500s or Sony MDR-1R as an "on the go" headphone? The Sennheiser Amperior are smaller, but the Yama Pro 500s do fold up.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. I am sure you guys get tired of seeing all the same "help me choose" threads. I did a thorough search. Like I said I have been a long time lurker. I guess I just need a push in one direction or another as to what I should be looking at and go from there. 

May 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 3
May 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 3
I use dt1350...unless I'd have to leave them in backpack or unattended for a while. Then I take an 'expendable' pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back