need help picking a headphone
May 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mario296

New Head-Fier
I currently have the AKG Q701 with a FiiO E10 amp, I used it for gaming and music and it was pretty good. But as of now, I am looking for a pair of headphones that is only for music. I mostly listen to electronic music such as dubstep, house and trance music. 

I'm looking to spend between 150 and 250$. I was looking at the beyerdynamic dt 990 Pro (250Ohm version) but it seems that the AKG's are better after reading some threads on the site.

May 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 22
I think if you want good sub-bass which will enrich you music, probably DT 770 Pro is a better choice than DT 990 which is known to have stronger mid-bass. Here you have D770 and DT990 Frequency responses compared.

DT770 probably have less soundstage and air, because it is a closed headphone, but I think you already have those things in your AKGs.
Then you get good sub-bass and isolation for the price.

Best Luck!

May 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 22
Oh ok thanks. What do you think of the ultrasone pro 900 compared to them ?
Quote:
I think if you want good sub-bass which will enrich you music, probably DT 770 Pro is a better choice than DT 990 which is known to have stronger mid-bass. Here you have D770 and DT990 Frequency responses compared.

DT770 probably have less soundstage and air, because it is a closed headphone, but I think you already have those things in your AKGs.
Then you get good sub-bass and isolation for the price.

Best Luck!

May 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 22
Pro 900 seem to have strong mid-bass, and has a rise at 3 KHz which usually bring voices to the front. I can not say much about this headphone.

May 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 22
They aren't difficult to drive; even the e7 amp/dac would do the trick. If you're on the fence, you can do some research by just searching these forums. I haven't used the amps in question, but the Ultrasone is a low impedance headphone so you dont need lots of power. Look for something that can perhaps tighten bass, bring the mids forward, and/or make the treble flatter. You could also order the headphones first, burn them in, then listen to them and only THEN buy an amp which you feel will address any shortcomings you found in your listening. Make sure you burn theae in overnight for a few days though; the sound signature will change very much. You will notice the difference if you listen to it out of box, then a week later listen to a burned in one. Just gather as much accurate information as you can before you make a decision.

May 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 22
They aren't difficult to drive; even the e7 amp/dac would do the trick. If you're on the fence, you can do some research by just searching these forums. I haven't used the amps in question, but the Ultrasone is a low impedance headphone so you dont need lots of power. Look for something that can perhaps tighten bass, bring the mids forward, and/or make the treble flatter. You could also order the headphones first, burn them in, then listen to them and only THEN buy an amp which you feel will address any shortcomings you found in your listening. Make sure you burn theae in overnight for a few days though; the sound signature will change very much. You will notice the difference if you listen to it out of box, then a week later listen to a burned in one. Just gather as much accurate information as you can before you make a decision.

Alright and do you consider these headphones as 100% music? I already have the e10 amp

May 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 22
Alright and do you consider these headphones as 100% music? I already have the e10 amp

They're great for gaming too because of the s logic imaging. Though the soundstage may feel unnatural for classical and jazz, it should be great for both gaming and movies. Especially with its visceral bass, which should make movies and games more enjoyable.

May 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
They're great for gaming too because of the s logic imaging. Though the soundstage may feel unnatural for classical and jazz, it should be great for both gaming and movies. Especially with its visceral bass, which should make movies and games more enjoyable.

I see, thing is I really do not want it for gaming but 100% for music (electronic music). I already have the akg q701 which is amazing for gaming imo. What other pair of headphones other than the pro 900 do you think I should be looking at ? I want a closed one with good bass like the 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back