Need help: HD598 vs HD600 vs HD650
Oct 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #16 of 17

Quote:
I think if you listen to some headphones and like what you hear, simply enjoy the music. You don't have to think a lot for what yo buy unless you wanna think more on "what if" while you listen your music than actually enjoy it.

I auditioned last week for about an hour the HD600 and the HD650 in a store with some newage/jazz slow kind of music on a Lehmann Black Cube Linear from some nice CD player (with DAC). I think this kind of amp and music benefits mainly the HD650. If I were to buy headphones just for that kind of music and get a very good and snappy solid state amp, I'd had go for them, but the HD600 didn't sound that bad with that music, actually not a tiny bit of bad, just good too, a little more analitical but actually I liked it more for violins, flutes, etc, so I went for the HD600. Actually I also tested my tunes through my iBasso D12, in this case the HD600 were better with almost any tune, the HD650 sounded recessed on bass and mids through the iBasso compared against the HD600, but still very nice with music like Jamiroquai. The HD600 were better for metal and snappy bass, of course with something like a portable amp.

I'd say, if you plan to get a nice solid state amp, let's say a Burson 160 at least or maybe an Audio-GD C2 or a Matrix M-Stage (if you want to save a little), get the HD650. Of course if you want a warm and soft sound but well defined. If you like analitical sound yet a little warmy and nice and don't expect to get expensive amps (or even if you plan too), the HD600.

And if you have the money, get both and also get a solid state amp and a tube amp. I have read people that find around any combination that match the better what they want to hear on that specific moment for that specific type of music and enjoy.

If I were you, I'd still get the HD600 for that kind of music you mentioned. I'm expecting to build a Bottlehead Crack later for them, I'm sure I won't be disapointed and get the best of both worlds, snappy bass (HD600) with impactfull and rich mids and bass (tube amp). If you still can't decide after you have listened both, then you are really worring too much and not gonna enjoy your music at the end.

I also have the cheaper ATH M50s, I prefer them for Trance music over the HD600!! Sometimes when I also want a little more punch on the bass for let's say Jamiroquai I use them too over the HD600. Maybe later I'd get some Grados for better treble, I'm not sure I'm going to like something like AKG, the M50s were at first very sharp and a tiring experience for any kind of treble.

You have to realize that when you don't know what to buy and want to be perfectionist to listen a variety of music with different flavors, you'd have to start spending a lot, many amps, many phones, etc, LOL

Well, I already written too much, I'd repeat you, if you don't wan't to go the audiophile way (spend in a variety of equipment), then just get what you can and enjoy it!!! No regrets!! Either the HD650 or the HD600 is an excellent buy! When you let your friends try them, they won't know about that kind of difference and just find them phenomenal, relax and enjoiy the whole piece of music. That's what you have to do.

Enjoy the music!! Don't worry for what you are using or "what if"

An HD 650 recessed on bass and mids? Since thats technically the two frequencies the 650 flourishes in, that really makes me question the iBasso D12.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #17 of 17
I find the HD650s to be rather forward in the mids, with a pleasant bit of bass.  You absolutely must amplify them if you want to get the most out of them.  You can certainly "get away" without amping them, but if you never plan to amp them, then it would be a waste; the 598 should be as far as you go.

I listen predominately to soundtracks and classic, but the HD650s seem to have a remarkable tendency to make every genre sound good.  That being said, it lays the music out before you; it doesn't try to pull you in.  This makes them excellent for extremely long sessions, but perhaps not the best if you wish your headphones to engage you completely.

From what I've read, the HD598s are the most forward (but still veiled in comparison to the competition) of the three.  The HD600s are the most neutral, with the HD650s being the warmest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back