Need help: HD598 vs HD600 vs HD650
Oct 27, 2010 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

9VARZ

100+ Head-Fier
Alrighty, I'm (still) looking for my first setup and will need help with the cans.

So far, I've only managed to try out the HD598 (with an Arcam rDAC, Rega Ear, Chord Signature I/C and a generic USB cable). While I loved the engaging, airy sound of the 598, I found that it's lower end is still rather lacking in terms of bass depth, snap, PRaT and punch. The excellent rendition (imho) of the mids and trebles would be something I'll probably want to keep. I was thinking also that the perceived lack of depth and punch may be attributed to the Arcam DAC but I wasn't able to get my hands on another DAC to confirm this.

I was told that if I wanted a deeper, snappier setup, I would have to look at the HD600. However, Mike of Headfonia had mentioned in his article that the headstaging performance of the HD600 was quite lacking compared to the HD598 (cue: big
eek.gif
moment here).

More internet "paper/armchair" discussions tend to point to the HD650 if I'd wanted to reclaim that soundstage (presumably) but it seems like the 650 might not be as snappy as the 600 (cue: another big
eek.gif
moment here). Also, the "black" picture as often discussed by owners appear to be a tad off-putting for the type of music I listen to (see below).

I listen mainly to lossless classical music and "anisong" or anime song - which are largely instrumentals but with occasional operatic, pop/rock and jazz-influenced tunes with emphasis on sub-bass speed and clarity, needing forward mids, good instrument separation (very highly layered and textured sound), lots of bells and whistles on the top end and an expansive soundstage. If I had an EQ curve drawn out, it would look like a 'W' shape instead of a smiley face most often seen in other setups. A good example of this sort of music would be Kajiura Yuki's "Red Rose" (a tune I use very often to benchmark setups).

Ideally, I imagine (from the "paper/armchair" discussions that a "HD608" model would be needed to fill in my niche. However, since I'm not from Sennheiser, I doubt it is going to happen in the near future.

I'd figured that I would have to get a different DAC that is more catered to this end also (HRT MS2+ with Cardas Clear USB springs to mind). Will figure out the amps at a later stage (possibly Rega Ear if it has the PRaT and beef to keep up).

Anyone able to offer any ideas which pair of cans should I be looking at? Or would my choice of DAC be sufficient to alter the signature much?

Note: I won't have the chance to audition or A/B the HD600 or the HD650, along with the HRT DAC as these are all distance buy options (something I'm not keen on). I want to pretty much nail it in one shot for this.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 17
My experience is only about HD600 and HD650. I can say HD650 is a laid-back compare to HD600, and good for jazz and some classical music. My simple suggestion is that if you would like to enjoy music, a way to go might be HD650. For me, HD600 was a bit dry and analytical.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 17
Hi,
   I like my 650's for classical quite a bit.Given what you say you want you may want to consider the akg701/702.Is there somewhere you could go to audition all these phones?

Good luck!!

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 17
Late update, guys.

I've gotten myself a pair of the HD600's. I will be looking at sources and amps when budget allows.

Seems like good/matching sources and amps are still few and far between for these guys.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Hi,

I think the 650 is way to warm sounding, you need to EQ the low mids and base. I would prefer the classic models if you go for the Senn,

I think you might not have the right amp. Tubes create warmth as well but most people don't knock them for doing so. I use HD650s almost exclusively and have heard many other headphones without wanting to change. I recently went balanced with them but used and loved them for a long time before doing so.

I listen to everything except (most) rap and metal. They are exceptional with classical music and for the money IMO you simply cannot do better.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
I listen to everything except (most) rap and metal. They are exceptional with classical music and for the money IMO you simply cannot do better.

Totally agree, and I'm glad to see someone defining their terms here instead of making scattergun remarks. The 650 seems to have been designed for classical. I have no idea how it sounds with other genres and don't care, and opinions of the 650 that don't define the type of music preferred are almost useless. Why should I care if someone who listens to heavy metal or rap or electronica hates the 650? I will never listen to that music and my only interest is in how accurately the 650 reproduces a symphony orchestra. Whenever opinions are passed about a phone the poster should always define his musical taste; it's even more essential than associated equipment. Here endeth the lesson.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 17
I listen to many different styles including classical and metal but never hip hop or rap and getting opportunity to get and try HD650 thanks to excelent deal @J&R after spending almost 3 weeks trying perfect headphones i'm not going back cause they are perfect match to my Auzen X-Fi Prelude sound card (no amp needed) and even planing to get aftermarket cable to get them better but as you already learned correct source is very important, i'm listening to looseless audio only by the way 

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 17
I think if you listen to some headphones and like what you hear, simply enjoy the music. You don't have to think a lot for what yo buy unless you wanna think more on "what if" while you listen your music than actually enjoy it.

I auditioned last week for about an hour the HD600 and the HD650 in a store with some newage/jazz slow kind of music on a Lehmann Black Cube Linear from some nice CD player (with DAC). I think this kind of amp and music benefits mainly the HD650. If I were to buy headphones just for that kind of music and get a very good and snappy solid state amp, I'd had go for them, but the HD600 didn't sound that bad with that music, actually not a tiny bit of bad, just good too, a little more analitical but actually I liked it more for violins, flutes, etc, so I went for the HD600. Actually I also tested my tunes through my iBasso D12, in this case the HD600 were better with almost any tune, the HD650 sounded recessed on bass and mids through the iBasso compared against the HD600, but still very nice with music like Jamiroquai. The HD600 were better for metal and snappy bass, of course with something like a portable amp.

I'd say, if you plan to get a nice solid state amp, let's say a Burson 160 at least or maybe an Audio-GD C2 or a Matrix M-Stage (if you want to save a little), get the HD650. Of course if you want a warm and soft sound but well defined. If you like analitical sound yet a little warmy and nice and don't expect to get expensive amps (or even if you plan too), the HD600.

And if you have the money, get both and also get a solid state amp and a tube amp. I have read people that find around any combination that match the better what they want to hear on that specific moment for that specific type of music and enjoy.

If I were you, I'd still get the HD600 for that kind of music you mentioned. I'm expecting to build a Bottlehead Crack later for them, I'm sure I won't be disapointed and get the best of both worlds, snappy bass (HD600) with impactfull and rich mids and bass (tube amp). If you still can't decide after you have listened both, then you are really worring too much and not gonna enjoy your music at the end.

I also have the cheaper ATH M50s, I prefer them for Trance music over the HD600!! Sometimes when I also want a little more punch on the bass for let's say Jamiroquai I use them too over the HD600. Maybe later I'd get some Grados for better treble, I'm not sure I'm going to like something like AKG, the M50s were at first very sharp and a tiring experience for any kind of treble.

You have to realize that when you don't know what to buy and want to be perfectionist to listen a variety of music with different flavors, you'd have to start spending a lot, many amps, many phones, etc, LOL

Well, I already written too much, I'd repeat you, if you don't wan't to go the audiophile way (spend in a variety of equipment), then just get what you can and enjoy it!!! No regrets!! Either the HD650 or the HD600 is an excellent buy! When you let your friends try them, they won't know about that kind of difference and just find them phenomenal, relax and enjoiy the whole piece of music. That's what you have to do.

Enjoy the music!! Don't worry for what you are using or "what if"

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 17
Isn't the HD650 just a slightly modded HD600, with better cabling, better headbands, and "conducting wires" (from sennheiser's website) for better soundstaging? But both work very well with even a budget tube amp like the Little Dot Mark 2 (150 bucks) for classical music. I find solid state amps have more detail more are just too cold for classical music.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 17
From what I heard (music). I also think the HD650 have picked drivers that have better sensivity and that are gonna respond better with expensive amps. As they are a little more sensitive, with not such expensive amps they sound recessed while the HD600 sounds almost the same. Still if you compare the HD600 with cheaper phones, they are still very sensitive and are gonna respond better with any amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back