Need help finding IEM's for ~$100
Aug 16, 2010 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jamesyfx

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I could do with some help choosing some new IEM's, I seem to go through them on a yearly basis.. I wouldn't call myself a big audiophile but I do like good quality, I've currently been buying Sennheiser-branded ones for the past 2 years (2 pairs of CX300's and then a pair of CX500's), and while they sound alright, they just don't last. I tend to move them around a lot (as I use them for practically everything, I plug them into my laptop, my iMac, my iPhone and my iPod pretty much on a daily basis).

As for music, it's kinda for a variety of stuff... Dance/Rock/Metal/Pop of all kinds, but I'm also interested in the build quality of them (including the cables and connectors), the clarity (add some fairly good bass) and the noise isolating performance.

My budgets not that high (I can look at stuff slightly over, too), but I've been thinking about buying Shure 115's, and the general feeling I'm getting is.. don't. So you can see why I need some assistance buying!

Thanks for any help!

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 10
I would look into the Hippo VB, Fischer Audio Eterna, etc. Check out these:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450407/multiple-iem-shootout-v-3
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-98-iems-compared-xears-td100-ecci-pr300-visang-r01-added-08-11

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 10
Panasonic HJE900 would be your best bet. Good bass, good clarity, superior housing, detachable (and therefore replaceable cables), average noise isolation (the compromise). Also, probably some simple things you could do would improve the life expectancy of your iems.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Aug 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the comparisons and suggestions guys, I was sent to this site and I'm not disappointed!

The Monster pair certainly look.. interesting, but if the quality is good then who am I to argue?

I like the look of the Panasonic ones too, but I'd imagine I may lose them if I can't change my habits.... I tend to yank on the cable to take them out (terrible practice, I know).

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 10
Budget is around $100 USD (~£70 GBP). Location can be either UK or US (I'm based in the UK but I'd prefer to buy from a US store due to better value for money, international delivery doesn't matter, I can get someone to buy them and ship them on to me).

As for sound, I guess the large majority of my music has deep tones in it (Drum n Bass, Rock and Metal etc), so I learn towards more bass. Also, I don't usually listen to music super-loud, so good noise isolation would also be a benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back