Need help finding headphones
Jan 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Droozehdeh

New Head-Fier
I listen to a lot of dubstep, hip hop, and rap music. Dubstep as in the widdler, not skrillex. I'm looking for some headphones around 150 dollars but it can be a little more (no more than $275). I want bass, but i really like to hear the little details in songs. I would prefer they have a detatchable cable and can fold, but it's not a must. I have considered the M-audio Q40, ath m50, and the v-moda crossfade lp(1). i have heard mixed things about the crossfades so i am skeptical about buying them. the boomphones i have considered also but they seem kinda gimmicky. i want to be able to listen to these headphones on a bus at around 40% without them leaking. it would be awesome if they looked good too. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I listen to a lot of dubstep, hip hop, and rap music. Dubstep as in the widdler, not skrillex. I'm looking for some headphones around 150 dollars but it can be a little more (no more than $275). I want bass, but i really like to hear the little details in songs. I would prefer they have a detatchable cable and can fold, but it's not a must. I have considered the M-audio Q40, ath m50, and the v-moda crossfade lp(1). i have heard mixed things about the crossfades so i am skeptical about buying them. the boomphones i have considered also but they seem kinda gimmicky. i want to be able to listen to these headphones on a bus at around 40% without them leaking. it would be awesome if they looked good too. 

Heya,

M-Audio Q40
Ultrasone HFI 580 & DJ1
Beyer Custom One Pro

Very best,

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 11
Since you be traveling, I'll throw in the vmoda m80.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 11
Beyer COP.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 11
Hi!

Although I never get to try them but I heard good stuff about them:
HFI-580
M-80

As for headphones that I tried and though you might like it:
AKG K167

Hope this help!
Billson 
size]

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 11

Yah man stay away from the Crossfades. The M-80's are pretty good cans but lack bass and the Crossfades LP's are terrible terrible headphones. Really cool looks and tons of accessories but sound is muddy and seriously lacking detail. Oh and the New Sony XB's weren't on your list and keep it that way. Probably the worst headphones I've ever heard. XB400/600/800 just awful...

For the do's

M-audio Q40's are bonkers!! Super fun headphones good detail and head shattering bass. Only issue is the bass isn't the only thing that will crush your brain. The clamp force is gator strong and will take a while to get used to.

HIFI-780 - Ultrasone
Crazy portable great unique sound and are perfect for EDM Dub and rock music. Some of my personal favorites.

Ultrasone Pro 550
Tons of great features fun sounding comes with case detachable cables (2) extra velour pads and is foldable.

Good luck!

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 11
Let me help you narrow your search. You wanted something that doesn't leak at 40%. As an owner of the lp's, They aren't your choice for non leakage. On a mobile device, they will leak to around 30-35 percent in extremely quiet environments. In a moderate environment, around 40, but it is hard to pick up the music.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 11
If you haven't already gotten your headphones, I highly highly suggest the boomphones. I have owned a pair for quite a while now and they are great (for my needs, which are very similar to yours). I listen to generally the same type that you do and the boomphones don't lack in bass or high end, and they sure aren't "gimmicky". The external speakers really work well and don't sound like a tiny speaker blasting louder than it can handle. And as far as sound leakage they leaks next to nothing even at 80-90%. I know that sounds impossible considering the external speakers but its true. They look great and turn lots of heads. I can't recommend them enough for your needs

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
If you haven't already gotten your headphones, I highly highly suggest the boomphones. I have owned a pair for quite a while now and they are great (for my needs, which are very similar to yours). I listen to generally the same type that you do and the boomphones don't lack in bass or high end, and they sure aren't "gimmicky". The external speakers really work well and don't sound like a tiny speaker blasting louder than it can handle. And as far as sound leakage they leaks next to nothing even at 80-90%. I know that sounds impossible considering the external speakers but its true. They look great and turn lots of heads. I can't recommend them enough for your needs

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back