Need help finding a pair of Customs
Mar 15, 2016 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
I dabbled in several univeral iems for a couple of years. I got close to being pseudo happy with the vsonic gr07 mkii be. The adjustable nozzles made a big difference with seal for me. So now I'm ready to spend some money of customs but don't really know much about it or the process. I was hoping to get some recommendations based on my preferred signature and source (s). 

Favorite headphones:

*hd650

*Ether open

I prefer warmth over ultimate clarity. Hd800 on the wrong amp is a fail for me. I'm a mids guy. I listen to a lot vocal jazz, folk and pop. Occasionally some classical and EDM. I'll be using a Questyle qp1r and HTC m8. I prefer smooth silky treble over sparkle/brightness. I like a bass to be punched up just a splash. Certainly I'm no basshead but I like something that can slam when the materials calls for it. 

Budget is max about $1500 including any molds or impressions that have to be made. I tend to prefer a soft flexible cable for comfort and don't mind buying an aftermarket cable if need be. 

Thanks in advance for the help!!

kindly,

Matt

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 12
I haven't heard it, personally, but, given your description, I would certainly suggest trying to hear a demo of the Lime Ears 'Aether':

www.head-fi.org/t/799706/aether-lime-ears-ciem-flagship-discussion-review-and-impressions-thread

http://www.headfonia.com/review-lime-ears-aether-the-special-one/

I suggest you also post your question in the following thread:

www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-check-first-post-for-review-links-information

beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 12
  I dabbled in several univeral iems for a couple of years. I got close to being pseudo happy with the vsonic gr07 mkii be. The adjustable nozzles made a big difference with seal for me. So now I'm ready to spend some money of customs but don't really know much about it or the process. I was hoping to get some recommendations based on my preferred signature and source (s). 

Favorite headphones:

*hd650

*Ether open

I prefer warmth over ultimate clarity. Hd800 on the wrong amp is a fail for me. I'm a mids guy. I listen to a lot vocal jazz, folk and pop. Occasionally some classical and EDM. I'll be using a Questyle qp1r and HTC m8. I prefer smooth silky treble over sparkle/brightness. I like a bass to be punched up just a splash. Certainly I'm no basshead but I like something that can slam when the materials calls for it. 

Budget is max about $1500 including any molds or impressions that have to be made. I tend to prefer a soft flexible cable for comfort and don't mind buying an aftermarket cable if need be. 

kindly,

Matt

If you want more neutrality, but great mids and no aggressive trebble, SE5 Ultimate. If you want thicker, fuller mids and ultra resolution, Empire Ears Zeus, but more pricy.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 12
Hi Matt..

I'm really happy with the Empire Ears Apollo-X (the neutral/reference monitor in their line).  It's smooth, leans to the warm side of neutral, very spacious, and I enjoy listening with it for hours on end.  It's exquisitely detailed, as well.. but that quality isn't 'laid bare' like it is with the (stock) HD800.  Consider the Ultimate Ears "Reference Remastered" and/or the Vibro Labs "Aria", too.

I think you know my gear history, tastes, preferences, and biases pretty well 
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 12

Favorite headphones:

*hd650

*Ether open

kindly,

Matt

May I know why you're looking at customs?

I really have nothing against customs, owning a pair myself, but I personally find that a great firing pair of universals are more comfy. This is of course my personal opinion and I might just be lucky that the iem I like fits my ears.

That said, another reason I ask is that if you're hoping to up the game, so to speak, is that the top tier of universals is in no was lacking compared to the custom game, and for my preferences at least, I actually am rather more fond of the top universal IEMs vs most of the best customs.

Of course this is all down to personal preferences, but do remember that another thing to consider would be the driver type in these IEMs. BAs and dynamics are good at different things, and going the custom route is Gona have you give up most of these incredible DD offerings.

If you're still interested in considering the best universals, you should look at brands like Dita, tralucent, and campfire audio (the upcoming models this year are pretty sick, they left me absolutely stunned).

That said, I'm definitely not advising you against customs, but do take what I've mentioned into consideration.

This is from someone who's gone the custom route looking to "up my game" so to speak, but is gradually leaning back towards universals for the above reasons. My opinion is probably not the common consensus among most users, but just thought I would share my experiences.

Oh, but one way the customs best universals is in the isolation. It's no fight, not even close, and after you go the custom route, you'll find most universals to isolate very poorly. So if you really need that isolation, then I say that's a huge huge plus for customs :)

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 12
The SE5 Ref is still a strong reference as you can see in the MikePortnoy's reviews but if you live in the U.S. you perhaps want an American reference :wink:

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #9 of 12
May I know why you're looking at customs?

I really have nothing against customs, owning a pair myself, but I personally find that a great firing pair of universals are more comfy. This is of course my personal opinion and I might just be lucky that the iem I like fits my ears.

That said, another reason I ask is that if you're hoping to up the game, so to speak, is that the top tier of universals is in no was lacking compared to the custom game, and for my preferences at least, I actually am rather more fond of the top universal IEMs vs most of the best customs.

Of course this is all down to personal preferences, but do remember that another thing to consider would be the driver type in these IEMs. BAs and dynamics are good at different things, and going the custom route is Gona have you give up most of these incredible DD offerings.

If you're still interested in considering the best universals, you should look at brands like Dita, tralucent, and campfire audio (the upcoming models this year are pretty sick, they left me absolutely stunned).

That said, I'm definitely not advising you against customs, but do take what I've mentioned into consideration.

This is from someone who's gone the custom route looking to "up my game" so to speak, but is gradually leaning back towards universals for the above reasons. My opinion is probably not the common consensus among most users, but just thought I would share my experiences.

Oh, but one way the customs best universals is in the isolation. It's no fight, not even close, and after you go the custom route, you'll find most universals to isolate very poorly. So if you really need that isolation, then I say that's a huge huge plus for customs
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm looking carefully into all this. I am looking at customs because of problems with fit and seal. I have irregular ear canals and although I tried many universals and many types of tips, I never got a fit that worked. 

Matt

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm not sure that fit problems could be better solved with a custom IEM, that could be in fact worse... I've a mutant left ear and none of my CIEM offer me a perfect fit, depends the day, while a good set of biflange eartips are perfect. CIEM were the grail at time none UIEM were on the TOTL, but now it's way different !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back