Need help figuring out which headphone to buy.
Feb 12, 2018 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JackaBoss

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm very new into audio equipment and would like to get myself a new pair of headphone. I currently own a HD451 and Hyper X Cloud 2. (Both are gifts btw, so no complains here) and no amp.

Before last month i had no idea music could sound so great on a pair of headphones. A friend of mine loaned his HD6xx to me to test and i fell in love straight away.

Currently planning to get either
Audio Techniaca's MSR7, or MX50X
Sennheiser's HD6xx or HD559 or HD579 or HD598 or HD599
Sony's MDR - 1A
AKG K7xx

I listen to multiple generes of songs, from k-pop, j-pop rock, metal, memes etc

Budget around 200-300usd for my headphones, planning to get the amp on a later date. All recommendations and opinions are welcome.

PS: Sorry for bad english if any, english isn't my main language.

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 12
I would add that if you are going to be listening to the HD6XX or K7XX, you are really going to need a proper amp to drive them adequately.

You might also check out an HE-400S. It does well straight out of a phone or DAP (does not require an amp) and it really sounds terrific. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It might work.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 12
If you're going to be listening to music only then HD 6XX. If you're going to be listening to music and watching movies and gaming then K7XX/K712.
I disagree. I have the 712 and 6xx, my friend has the 7xx and 6xx. We both prefer the 6xx for gaming. The sound stage is admittedly smaller, but the imaging is more accurate. The 7xx and 712 have a tendency to project real center a few virtual spaces above the x axis so everything seems like it's higher than it really is.

For your music choices, it's hard. The 7xx/712 do something magical to female vocals, but the upper mid-range bump can make certain instruments, including guitars, sound a bit hot and bright. The 6xx's are much more mellow, which suits my tastes, but metal and high-energy performances just don't shine on them. If you already know you like the 6xx's, just get them. You've got more information pre-purchase than I did, which is actually very comforting.

As others have said, you will need an amp. You can forego the DAC, and just a magni and call it a day, or you can get a magni/vali and modi, or an all in one unit like the Fulla. But you're going to need something.

Options like the HE400s can work without, but still sound better with. A few options, like the Philips Fidelio X2, are efficient enough to run well without.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 12
I see, thanks guys for the feedback!
If you're going to be listening to music only then HD 6XX. If you're going to be listening to music and watching movies and gaming then K7XX/K712.

I would add that if you are going to be listening to the HD6XX or K7XX, you are really going to need a proper amp to drive them adequately.

You might also check out an HE-400S. It does well straight out of a phone or DAP (does not require an amp) and it really sounds terrific. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It might work.

I disagree. I have the 712 and 6xx, my friend has the 7xx and 6xx. We both prefer the 6xx for gaming. The sound stage is admittedly smaller, but the imaging is more accurate. The 7xx and 712 have a tendency to project real center a few virtual spaces above the x axis so everything seems like it's higher than it really is.

For your music choices, it's hard. The 7xx/712 do something magical to female vocals, but the upper mid-range bump can make certain instruments, including guitars, sound a bit hot and bright. The 6xx's are much more mellow, which suits my tastes, but metal and high-energy performances just don't shine on them. If you already know you like the 6xx's, just get them. You've got more information pre-purchase than I did, which is actually very comforting.

As others have said, you will need an amp. You can forego the DAC, and just a magni and call it a day, or you can get a magni/vali and modi, or an all in one unit like the Fulla. But you're going to need something.

Options like the HE400s can work without, but still sound better with. A few options, like the Philips Fidelio X2, are efficient enough to run well without.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 12
I wouldn't worry about an amp too much to be honest. In my experience people blow the difference an amp makes way out of proportion. I own a fair number of headphones, and I didn't get a dedicated amp for years. Get the headphones you want first, then an amp down the road. As far as the K7XX goes, I love them, and they have near perfect treble to me. But for around $200, the HD6XX are basically the best headphones you can buy (if it fits your preference).

This is all my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt :p

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 12
I wouldn't worry about an amp too much to be honest. In my experience people blow the difference an amp makes way out of proportion. I own a fair number of headphones, and I didn't get a dedicated amp for years. Get the headphones you want first, then an amp down the road. As far as the K7XX goes, I love them, and they have near perfect treble to me. But for around $200, the HD6XX are basically the best headphones you can buy (if it fits your preference).

This is all my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt :p
The importance of an amp all depends on the headphone in question. I totally agree with the thought that you should "get the headphones you want first..." because this does make the most logical sense. If that headphone you choose is a Grado (or easier to drive can) then no, an amp doesn't help "a ton". For the HD600,HD650,HD800 though (and more) you will realllllllly bring out a ton of performance with a well made amp. I agree that I wouldn't get worried about it off the bat which is what you seem to be saying.

Just food for thought ha

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 12
The importance of an amp all depends on the headphone in question. I totally agree with the thought that you should "get the headphones you want first..." because this does make the most logical sense. If that headphone you choose is a Grado (or easier to drive can) then no, an amp doesn't help "a ton". For the HD600,HD650,HD800 though (and more) you will realllllllly bring out a ton of performance with a well made amp. I agree that I wouldn't get worried about it off the bat which is what you seem to be saying.

Just food for thought ha

That is basically what I meant lol. I don't mean to say an amp won't make a difference, just that even for something with high impedance swings like the HD6XX the total sound signature of the headphones comes first. In general, the things that matter the most for sound are Headphone>Amp>DAC, assuming your source files are of decent quality. But yes, I agree that you want an amp eventually, especially for dynamics :beyersmile:

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 12
i'm sorry I didn't mean to come off as "that guy" ha. I just wanted to elaborate on to what you were saying so there was less room for misinterpretation if there would be any. In regards to Headphone>Amp>DAC I fall into the same camp of thought. There are people that believe DAC is more important then amp but I don't find that to be the case personally. OK! i'm done opening up cans of worms lol Thanks for being cool with this convo :beerchug:

@JackaBoss if you fell in love right away with that headphone I would try to make that happen then. The HD600 is a more neutral version of that sound btw. So the Senn family in general would be a great starting place I feel. You might just like Sennheiser house sound.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 12
@muffins @MTMECraig Thanks for your opinions guys. It really helps a lot, i can get a general idea of what im getting here (I used the HD6xx on my phone for about 5 minutes). The problem is both the HD58x and HD6xx dont ship to my country directly, so im having problems :frowning2: Otherwise i'd get them in a heartbeat. (The HD6xx costs more than a HD650 to ship to my country, third world things i guess.)

Btw the HD58x are on sale at massdrop right now, have either of you used them?

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #11 of 12
@MTMECraig No worries man, I don't mind. I'm still new, relatively speaking, anyway; If you can offer more experience or knowledge than I have, go right on ahead :beerchug:

@JackaBoss I haven't heard the HD58X. The shipping time was very long, and the current drop has an estimated shipping time of July. So if you do consider them, know it will be months before you get them. If you liked the HD6XX/HD650, I would recommend going for those, as from the descriptions the 58X is leaner and less warm - more neutral overall. But I haven't heard them so I don't know :p

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 12
Due to shipping costs like you said then I wouldn't think twice about the 650. At that point you would just be seeing wether the difference in looks would be worth the difference in price in my opinion.

I have heard the HD580 juibilee before and I really liked it. Once again I agree with Muffins ha, in regards to the 580 being leaner and less warm. He's been spot on the whole time, or at least we have been sharing the same opinions so far! ha.

Just depends on how much warmth you want, and how much body to the sound. in my opinion the HD600 is right in between the 580 and the 650 in terms of warmth and body to the sound. I DO feel like the 580 does an exceptional job of having brass instruments sounds spot on tonally. That is why I liked it so much. With that said I would still take the added warmth and body of the HD600 over that.

I really wish you could demo all these :frowning2:. It makes it so much easier to tell what will ultimately give you the most enjoyment. I want YOU to be happy with the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back