Need help chosing a headphone
Aug 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wolfpack

New Head-Fier
I am selling my SONY cd-3000s because i dont use an amp and they just didnt sound too powerful or punchy (poor bass)
with my MP3 player. But i loved the sweet sony sound.

I want to replace them with a  pair of headphones or IEMs. To mostly use it with a MP3 player but occasionally with
a full desktop CD player or portable CD player (remember those?).

As a referece, im using B&O A8's..which are pretty good but have very limited bass. I also use SONY v900 which are muddy and thick sounding to me.

I know i have to audition some (not such an easy task, as most stores dont have high end headphones out for listening, or if they do, they play store driven music, not allowing me to hook up my own).

I have read great reviews for rock/pop for HD595, HD600, SR325i, and SE530.
My budget is around $400

The idea of blocking out sound apeals to me (SE530) but isnt imperrative.
The big durable comfortable HD600s appeal to me also but are hard to drag to work every day, and may require an amp.

Just not sure how to procede..
Are the SE530s just as good as full sized phones?? If so then getting them is a no brainer.

Thanks.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 12
Whats heaphone would you recommend for unamped straight to MP3 listening?
Can an IEM sound as good as a larger phone?

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 12
I don't think you can get a large headphone to use directly with a MP3 player and get sound worthy of the phone...the
larger phones are made to be used with amps.
I'd stick with IEM phones from Shure, or Etymotic "IF" your going to use it primarily with a simple MP3 player.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
I don't think you can get a large headphone to use directly with a MP3 player and get sound worthy of the phone...the
larger phones are made to be used with amps.
I'd stick with IEM phones from Shure, or Etymotic "IF" your going to use it primarily with a simple MP3 player.

Not true...there's a wide range of Full size headphones who work well unamped, and straight from ipods/mp3 players. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 12
SR325is, MDR-7509HD, and ATH-ESW9 are also efficient enough to go ampless.

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 12
Have you head the Sony MDR-V6's? If you like the Sony sound that is. I love these headphones. I find they are superb with Rock/Pop music. Bear in mind these are very detailed in the top end with plenty of punch in the low end aswell.

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Have you head the Sony MDR-V6's? If you like the Sony sound that is. I love these headphones. I find they are superb with Rock/Pop music. Bear in mind these are very detailed in the top end with plenty of punch in the low end aswell.

They are good for the price, and the bass is natural sounding. Its a nice option. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back