Need help choosing portable headphones! ATH-M50, Ath-WS55, ATH-WS70.
Jun 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sunny2151

New Head-Fier
To start off, I have sennheiser HD 650's and they aren't very portable. I'm looking for a headphone that is very fun to listen to. I've been reading about the ath-m50's, ath-ws55's, and the ath-ws70's. All of them look interesting, but the ath-m50's are more than I want to spend. I havent been able to find many comparisons between these headphones. And of the posts i have found, its mostly people praising the m50's. Any help would be appreciated. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 10
I own both the WS55 and the M50. I would skip the WS70 as the WS55 is the new upgraded version.

The reason why there is no WS77 is because Audio Technica made a very nice headphone in the WS55. Better tuning over the M50 and much more portable.

Look into a WS55.. I like them better than my V moda M-80.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 10
Hm... hard choices. I'd say i mostly want isolation and sound. Size is nice, but it doesnt really matter to me as long as they look awesome like the AT's. Originally i was looking at AKG K450's, but i heard bad reviews.  I don't want complete isolation, and i dont want the worlds most detailed sound. I prefer to just have a pair of fun headphones. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 10
Ya people just don't know but the WS55 are not just for bass lovers as they are called solid bass. They are actually very great sounding headphones. Isolates as good as the M50 if not better .To me they have a way better balanced sound. No recessed mids. Even a bit better stage over them. More natural sounding highs. There is nothing natural sounding on the highs on the M50. These have a crazy cool bass end too. These headphones won't show their bass prowess until a track has it in the recording. Fantastic portable easy to drive headphones.. These are a lot better than people would think. Again I don't prefer my M-80 over these at all. The opposite. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Good man. Give them a break in period. Throw down some fairly loud music to loosen them drivers. Initially they have a clamp and depending on the size of your head it can clamp onto your head. So they might feel a bit tight at first. They will loosen up quickly with use or just throwing them on some books that represent the width of your head. Good luck n happy listening.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks, this was very helpful, as I was trying to differentiate the m50, WS55, WS70 and WS77 myself.  I just picked up the WS55 and am very happy with them.  The base is powerful, but there are still well-defined mids and treble.  Most music sounds great, and bass driven music (rap, hip hop, electronic) sounds amazing.  They do feel a little tight, but I can wear them for a couple hours without any lingering discomfort, and I expect them to loosen up a bit over time.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back