Need Help Choosing IEM's around $15 for Samsung Captivate
Sep 5, 2011 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

casperia

New Head-Fier

Hello, all! To start out, I have been looking around this website for a while.  I have been considering Meelectronics CC51, but my budget has been set at a STRICT $15 (no one I know sees the point in spending more than that.  I do.)  When I bought my Captivate, I had been using some iHip canalphones I bought at TJ Maxx for $6.  The headset that came with my phone is surprisingly good for being stock, and I have yet to find ANYTHING in my price range that even comes close.  I bought the Meelec M2P, and that is just terrible in comparison.  I will be using these exclusively with my Captivate, playing FLAC only.  I usually play Frank Sinatra (MFSL Silver Box) that is between 2500 and 3500KBPS and in 24/96.  As such, the files are not the issue.  I currently have a set of Sony MDR-V6, which I bought on eBay for $18.87 shipped.  They are the Japanese version, so they are older, but I don't mind that.  I would like something that is at least close to this level of detail and soundstage, and at a good price.  As I said, I usually listen to bands like Queen, Frank Sinatra, Maynard Ferguson, and occasionally Flobots, so detail and soundstage are important.  I do not care about bass, as long as the middle and high ranges are good.  I am looking for the best vocal clarity and openness for the price.  My main complaints with lower end stuff are about the "veil" over vocals, and a severe lack of detail.  I would prefer to buy from Amazon, because I can usually find a better price there ($41 for a black CC51), and their shipping is usually ahead of schedule.  They do not have to be from Amazon, I have just had good prior experiences.  I have already looked at the massive IEM thread, so I don't need to be told about that.  If you need any more information, please let me know.   

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 41
You won't get anything close to the MDR-V6 in an IEM for $15, not even used. Period.

Your best bet for a strict $15 budget would be to go here and start reading from the very top:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 41
I had, of course, realized that.  It's a difference between $110 MSRP and $15 MSRP, plus the size difference.  I had already known about the other thread, which is why I already mentioned it in mine.  I am looking now at the Meelec CW31.  Do you know anything about those?

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 41
They (ADDIEMs) are great value and sound pretty good for the price. Few more earphones like Philips SHE6000, SHE9700, JVC FXC50 are recommended too.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 41
Not the ones commonly being sold by powersellers or sellers with >500 feedback. There's no way they would risk it.

Quote:
Just make sure they aren't fake. Most ADDIEM for <$30 on eBay are fakes.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 41
Sep 25, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 41
Well, I bought some beats tours on ebay last year, and best buy said they were legit. But, the driver rattled constantly and they just weren't my thing. Good thing I only paid $30 for them.while I have time, what are your thoughts on tips for the addiem's? I'm looking at sony hybrids for $9, or 7 pairs of etymotic foam for $14. I'm just worried about sound and fit (on the phones, not my ears).

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 41

Quote:
Well, I bought some beats tours on ebay last year, and best buy said they were legit. But, the driver rattled constantly and they just weren't my thing. Good thing I only paid $30 for them.while I have time, what are your thoughts on tips for the addiem's? I'm looking at sony hybrids for $9, or 7 pairs of etymotic foam for $14. I'm just worried about sound and fit (on the phones, not my ears).

you should wait to see if you can use the addiem's tips, i have owned many many IEMs in the 30-50 price range, and the addiems tips aren't too different from other olives provided with other earphones or the hybrids. You can get the foams to supplement the addiems stocks, but i think that the addiems might be too inexpensive of headphones to justify spending the money for foams

Users who are viewing this thread

Back