Need headphones to listen to music on my iMac (Beats/DT770/DT880 etc..)
Nov 27, 2010 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

usurp

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, i was planning on getting external speakers to use with my imac but figured i could some great headphones instead.

I'm currently looking at the Beats, the DT770 and the DT880 but also the Sure 840 and Audio-Technica M50. You can tell already how confused I am. I listen mostly to alternative music (smashing pumpkins, NIN, radiohead etc..) and chillout music as well as bass heavy trance. I had previously tried the Beats before i liked them mostly for the powerful lows and the fact they had a built in amp. But, i thought they were a bit overpriced and read a lot of people complaining about the build quality.

I've always had my eyes on the beyerdynamic headphones but I live in Kuwait and so can't try the various models out and choose one. Actually from all the headphones I've mentioned only the Beats are available here everything else I need to order from Amazon.

So my question would be what headphone can I get which I can power from my iMac and has a great soundstage but still has powerful lows? The only issue i have with getting a headphone amp is financial and not practical reasons or anything like that. I just have a budget of around 250$ to spend on this. I have a FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier if that helps.

thanks

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 5
Definitely don't get the beats, everybody here will tell you that.
The M50's seem to be a popular choice if you're on a $100 budget but if you are willing to spend more you can definitely get a better headphone.
I'm thinking about getting the DT880 myself, I'm just worried about how much they need to be amped, because people say you don't reach their full potential unless you spend $300+ on an amp (Little Dot MKIV seems to be the minimum for great performance).
Maybe the 32 or 250 ohm DT880 would be a good choice for you, and you could get a good amp whenever you save up the money. But be warned: they are open headphones so they're not very portable
That's about all I can tell you... good luck!

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 5
^ Agreed. Don't get beats.

As for the DT880s. They don't NEED to be amped, but you'll really get the full potential of its sound when its amped. Don't worry about impedences, they're all the same. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 5
The DT880 most certainly does not have powerful bass. It has a very light, integrated, well controlled bass. It extends pretty deep and is high quality, but it isn't very loud. The DT990 is more what you would be after if you're looking for the benefits of an open headphone like the DT880 (wide soundstage, smoother frequency response) but also want some low end push. If you need isolation and deep, slamming bass, a closed design is more what you're after. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is oft-recommended, reasonably priced, and has deep, strong bass. The DT770 is in the same mold, but it's more forward-sounding and has a strong treble response to go with the bass. It's also more expensive. If you're just playing straight through the iMac, the M50 or the 32 ohm version of either the DT770 or DT990 would be my recommendation out of the choices so far.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll go for the DT770, I hadn't noticed the DT880's where open air, I am looking for closed since I will be using them in the living room where my wife would most probably be watching tv. Now I just need to figure out if I should go with 32, 80 or 250ohm and if i need an amp what amp can i get that will still keep me in the budget. tough options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back