Need headphones mainly for classical music. Closed, unamped, and for big ears, ~200$
Mar 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WisdomListens

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi'ers I need some help deciding on buying headphones for around $200.
They need to be closed ear, unamped, and comfortable for a person with big ears that also stick out a little bit.
I've done a lot of research using the forums and reviews and have a few possibilities for which I want to get. They are:

Audio Technica M50
Audio Technica ATH A700
AKG K271 Mk II
Any more suggestions?

I am mostly going to listen to classical music (violin concerto's, symphonies, orchestral).
I really love the sound of violin so good high end would be great. Sound stage is also a priority but if the differences are not noticeable to an amateur like me then I don't care if one is slightly better than another.

I also need them to be comfortable for long periods of use. I have relatively big ears that stick out a little bit and so I don't want my ears touching the drivers. I have tried the Shure SRH840's and they got very uncomfortable after 1-2 hours of use.

Portability would be a bonus but not necessary.

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi and welcome to Head-Fi.

I really think you might be better off with an IEM (in ear monitor).

Today's IEMs are worlds better than your typical buds. The isolation is better than any full sized can and they are easily driven without the "need" for amplification, although they can certianly benefit from it.  They are typically quite comfortable but you may find your ears have an adjustment period.  Don't do a 4 hour listening session the first time you use them lol.

Closed cans and classical just don't really mesh imho.  I listen to all sorts of genres and I am definitely and open headphone guy but I have owned and enjoyed closed cans but for classical I just think closed is the wrong way to go,

Based on your price, music genre, amping needs, and comfort, I'd say IEMs are the best choice.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Hi and welcome to Head-Fi.

I really think you might be better off with an IEM (in ear monitor).

Today's IEMs are worlds better than your typical buds. The isolation is better than any full sized can and they are easily driven without the "need" for amplification, although they can certianly benefit from it.  They are typically quite comfortable but you may find your ears have an adjustment period.  Don't do a 4 hour listening session the first time you use them lol.

Closed cans and classical just don't really mesh imho.  I listen to all sorts of genres and I am definitely and open headphone guy but I have owned and enjoyed closed cans but for classical I just think closed is the wrong way to go,

Based on your price, music genre, amping needs, and comfort, I'd say IEMs are the best choice.

I didn't think IEM's would be good for classical compared to closed headphones of the same price. I tried several different canalphones a while back and I wasn't too fond of the "underwater" feeling and how sweaty they get. I ended up sticking with the Klipsch Image s4's because the underwater feeling was not too bad with them. Semi-sealed they were.
It would be more practical for me to get headphones to add to my collection rather than to replace my previous earphones.

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Ok well if you tried IEMs and didn't care for them, I can certainly understand wanting to try something else.

As I said I'm a open headphone guy and will leave it up to the closed crowd to offer suggestions you may want to check out.  I've no experience with closed cans in the $200 neighborhood.

If you ever get a chance to get to a head-fi meet I cannot recommend them enough.  It is far and away the best way to get exposure to different gear.

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 10
I quite liked Denon D5000 with classical music- they have great soundstage, deep bass that gives strings their due foundation and good highs.  They are also very comfortable, and have the option of j$ ear pads that put a greater distance between the ears & inside cup.  D2000 are almost the same headphone so you might consider those.  K271 are extremely comfortable, have ok soundstage and do a good job with classical if you have an amp.  They have very good mids and highs but my biggest complaint is that they have weak bass.  Can't comment on M50 & A700.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I quite liked Denon D5000 with classical music- they have great soundstage, deep bass that gives strings their due foundation and good highs.  They are also very comfortable, and have the option of j$ ear pads that put a greater distance between the ears & inside cup.  D2000 are almost the same headphone so you might consider those.  K271 are extremely comfortable, have ok soundstage and do a good job with classical if you have an amp.  They have very good mids and highs but my biggest complaint is that they have weak bass.  Can't comment on M50 & A700.

The D5000 and D2000 look like a good pick but unfortunately they are out of my price range. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Ok well if you tried IEMs and didn't care for them, I can certainly understand wanting to try something else.

As I said I'm a open headphone guy and will leave it up to the closed crowd to offer suggestions you may want to check out.  I've no experience with closed cans in the $200 neighborhood.

If you ever get a chance to get to a head-fi meet I cannot recommend them enough.  It is far and away the best way to get exposure to different gear.

A head-fi meet would be interesting. I'll give it a try if one is close by, thanks!

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

I'm reconsidering my decision against IEMs. Are they better than closed headphones in terms of sound quality and sound stage at the $200 price range? I would think that IEMs don't have very good sound stage since they are small. Is this true?

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 10
I had the AKG K271Mk II and even with my big, flappy ears, they were extremely comfortable. The do benefit from amping, but don't "need" it. Something small and cheap like a Fiio E7 amp would do nicely. I really think you need to find a dealer where you can try them on, listening to classical pieces you know well. I loved their sound with acustic music and female vocals, but only you can decide if they have the right sound to your ears :)

You might wabt to check out Ultrasone too, their S-logic gives them great soundstage for closed cans. If you go the IEM route, Etymotic are highly regarded for their detail, treble and clarity. What will you use to drive the headphones?

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I had the AKG K271Mk II and even with my big, flappy ears, they were extremely comfortable. The do benefit from amping, but don't "need" it. Something small and cheap like a Fiio E7 amp would do nicely. I really think you need to find a dealer where you can try them on, listening to classical pieces you know well. I loved their sound with acustic music and female vocals, but only you can decide if they have the right sound to your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

You might wabt to check out Ultrasone too, their S-logic gives them great soundstage for closed cans. If you go the IEM route, Etymotic are highly regarded for their detail, treble and clarity. What will you use to drive the headphones?

Yeah you're right about having to try them for myself. Many conflicting opinions about each headset so gonna have to try them on myself!
Drive the headphones? I'll be using my iPhone, is that what you mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back