Need full size portable cans - around neck
Aug 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tdunks

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any recommendations for a full size circumaural headphone that can be worn around most days around the neck when not in use? I am looking for a set for under 300 shipped to canada.

Things I want:

Comfortable around the neck - my denons basically choke me - rotatable cups?
Look good - dont want come atrocious around my neck
short or removable cord - preferrably no 10 foot cord
good sounding - I listen to a wide range of stuff so either flat or a bit bass heavy works
sealed - using around outdoors so open would be problematic

Thanks guys

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Senn HD-201, HD-202-II, or HD-203 come to mind. Cord may get in the way, but the cans themselves look like they'd be really portable, especially the HD-202 and HD-203, and they got really good sound for their price. All three pairs are also closed-back.

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Really dont like the look of the Senn 20X series. I forgot to mention thy should look decent as well.

The MDR-V150 if you can get your hands on them then? They're decent for the price and look OK, they're also on-ear as opposed to around-ear, so the headphones shouldn't get in the way as much, although the cord can be a pain to deal with. Or some of Audio-technica's lower-end models, specifically the ATH-M10 or ATH-M20.

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
The MDR-V150 if you can get your hands on them then? They're decent for the price and look OK, they're also on-ear as opposed to around-ear, so the headphones shouldn't get in the way as much, although the cord can be a pain to deal with. Or some of Audio-technica's lower-end models, specifically the ATH-M10 or ATH-M20.

I'm not going to mince any words. They sound awful.

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I'm not going to mince any words. They sound awful.

They're decent for $20. I own a pair and they do their job really well, although I'm most likely upgrading to either HD-203s or ATH-M20s soon.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
They're decent for $20. I own a pair and they do their job really well, although I'm most likely upgrading to either HD-203s or ATH-M20s soon.

I haven't listened to any headphone other than these that cost below $40, so I can't say anything to that.

However, since the OP's budget is up to $300, we could at least suggest a pair at the $70-100 range.

The following is merely a suggestion, not a recommendation: Koss TBSE1s. It's relatively comfortable around the neck as other headphones when folded flat, it comes with a detachable cable that can be easily replaced with a cheap one bought off ebay if one finds it to be too long and bulky, and is closed.

I'm going to leave the looks and sound quality up to you to decide. There's been a lot of threads concerning it and the DJ100 (no detachable cable version) lately.

I also got mine for $60 used off kijiji. If you find that final price ends up over $100, look elsewhere.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 8
I was looking at the AKG K550 as they can rotate, but my worries are 1. they only rotate so that the cups face out aka the driver area is open to the world 2. they may just be too big (i dont think this is a huge concern) and 3. non removable 3 METRE long cord

Users who are viewing this thread

Back