Need feedback on Ultrasone DJ1 / HFI-580
Feb 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Domz0r

New Head-Fier

Hi there

I currently own a pair of SR-125 and I'm looking for closed cans to complement them. Seeing all the M50 hype, I read on those, dug around and narrowed my choice to the DJ1s after reading the M50 vs HFI-580 thread (would pick the DJ1 over the HFI-580 because the pads can lay flat, which is a big plus as they will mostly be used on the go). 
They seem to fit my requirements but I have no way to try them out and am afraid that I might miss out on something closer to what I'm actually searching. I'm basically looking for the same aggressive sound I love from my Grados (and how female vocals sound oh-so-incredible), but a bit bassier and closed.

To make it into a question, can anyone that has auditioned both tell me if they sound alike?

I'm open to any other recommendations, but please, I don't want every HPs in that price range (~150$) thrown at me, propose if you think they would better match my description. 
wink.gif

If that can help, I mainly listen to electronica (Designer drugs, Bloody Beetroots and such, to pinpoint my preferences a bit better), old school hip-hop, and a bit of classic rock.

Finally, thank you for your time 
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 6
You found the right headphones. The HFI-580s are very energetic headphones (maybe the most on this forum). If they aren't energetic enough for you then I don't know what will be. I had the SR 125s for a very long time and the HFI 580 too. The 125 have VERY weak bass compared to the HFI 580 which could be a basshead headphone.  The HFI 580 is also a rather bright headphone with very impactful punchy bass. If you like the Grado sound, I think you'd be bored of the M50 if you wanted an overall energetic sound signature.

May 6, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 6
I too am very interested in this response

May 6, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 6
I think you made a great choice. Ultrasones are very special headphones indeed, I really want another pair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back